POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

49 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Well the XP side of my netbook still seems to be OK, thank goodness.
I'm still puzzled as to why before the over-ride switch was added the patch didn't update two files in the \System32 folder, but did update the equivalents in the \DLLCache folder. That makes no sense at all to me!

[...]
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Hi Dave, same here with kb4056615 on one of two XP machines.

Try to install the standalone update "as ADMIN", and then perform a normal shutdown and restart the pc.

After this the yellow shield was gone for me...

No trouble with this updates, all is running as before.

Ah, no.

I am Admin else on XP, but "AS ADMIN" is not the same, and you have the yellow shield (you say so?) that offers the update again.

AS ADMIN uses an other account with a little more rights, thats all.

With an proper restart it works better as the with the normal user account.

Give it a try...

Thomas. for what it's worth I tried your suggestion and it did not work.  On a lark, with Mixit's idea to use force switch, and Dave's bravery to step forward with giving it a try I did the same.  IT WORKED!  After rebooting the kernel files were updates and Microsoft Update did not list that as an update needing to be installed.

That's good to hear @SD73!

As far as I'm concerned, if Microsoft Update says that there are no patches needing to be installed, I've always been happy with that, even though the yellow shield still sometimes sticks in the system tray. I've had that happen many times before, and usually the shield eventually goes away.

This time I eventually tried installing the patch again from the yellow shield, but it just went through the motions very quickly, I don't think it actually did anything, and then it disappeared, for good I hope until the next lot of updates, which I assume are still expected in a couple of days time.

:yes:

10 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's good to hear @SD73!

As far as I'm concerned, if Microsoft Update says that there are no patches needing to be installed, I've always been happy with that, even though the yellow shield still sometimes sticks in the system tray. I've had that happen many times before, and usually the shield eventually goes away.

This time I eventually tried installing the patch again from the yellow shield, but it just went through the motions very quickly, I don't think it actually did anything, and then it disappeared, for good I hope until the next lot of updates, which I assume are still expected in a couple of days time.

:yes:

And thank you again for taking that brave first step.  MiXiT get's some bonus points too in my book.  I had one other patch that for years showed as installed in my add/remove programs but Update would always show it as not being installed, so I finally hid it.  Well after learning about the over write oem switch I figured what the heck, let's push my luck once again.  Sure enough, not only did it install fine, but now there are no more hidden updates needing to be installed.

1 minute ago, amberghaji said:

Click on the "Last Updated" cell on that page and it will sort the new ones you're looking for to the top.  Or alternatively search a few posts back and you'll find direct links to the downloads posted.

There is some reports on a russian forum, that KB4056615 cause multiple software failures on certain PC configurations: with old one-core CPUs. Multi-thread and multi-core CPUs aren't subject to the problem. Deinstallation of KB4056615 solve the problem in all the cases.

Failed download(s):

Windows XP EmbeddedJune, 2017 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4021915)9. desember 2017Automatic Updates

Windows XP EmbeddedJune, 2017 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4021915)8. desember 2017Automatic Updates

Anything I should worry about?

2 hours ago, Roffen said:

Failed download(s):

Windows XP EmbeddedJune, 2017 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4021915)9. desember 2017Automatic Updates

Windows XP EmbeddedJune, 2017 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4021915)8. desember 2017Automatic Updates

Anything I should worry about?

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4021915

We already spoke on this thread before. It is only for those who were not installed in June. It went from important to critical.

Edited by wyxchari

Still way off-topic, but in case anyone was wondering about the non-updating of my Windows 8.1 installation, I read that MS are not rolling out the patch for Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 for normal installations until the normal Patch Tuesday (tomorrow).
Only those on the WSUS channel will get it now.
I'm not quite sure that I believe that as a friend's Windows 7 machine was offered the update, several days ago, and he certainly isn't on the WSUS channel!

All a bit strange, but as there was still no sign of the update from Windows Update on my machine I downloaded and applied the KB4056898 patch manually to my Windows 8.1 installation today anyway, with no apparent ill effects.
Strangely I could find no mention of this in the Windows 8/8.1 forum here.

:dubbio:

Is anyone facing a problem with a never-ending "checking for update" status?
I am using Windows XP Professional with Microsoft Update. My Office installations include Office 2000 and Office 2010.
I last installed some Office 2010 security updates in September. Though I applied the POSReady registry hack, I have not installed any of the updates intended for POSReady 2009 (only KB4019276 manually).

I have tried deleting the authcab.cab file, and also cleaning the SoftwareDistribution\Download folder, but that has not helped.