POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Running MS Update just now on my XP machine, I got these two:

2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056941)

2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056615)

Well, this time I SHALL be a cowardly lion.  Anyway, it's too cold in NYC to run any updates.  If anyone is brave (and warm) enough to run these two, please let us know.  

EDIT - Also, has anyone tried the Firefox update to 52.5.3 ESR?  All OK?  I'm still co-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld.

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

@glnz

If you have Avast version 17.9.3761.0 installed, I can only advise against it at the moment! Either uninstall Avast or wait for the update to be released for Avast, where the bug will be fixed where various files can not be copied! It is not enough to deactivate!

:yes:

Edited by heinoganda

Both updates installed fine here, and there seem to be no problems.
Scanned and found them very fast too, which was good!
According to my system file tracker, the files replaced were -

ATMFD.DLL version 5.1 Build 252 to 5.1 Build 253
NTKRNLPA.EXE version 5.1.2600.7259 to 5.1.2600.7392
NTOSKRNL.EXE version 5.1.2600.7259 to 5.1.2600.7392
NTKRPAMP.EXE version 5.1.2600.7259 to 5.1.2600.7392
NTKRNLMP.EXE version 5.1.2600.7259 to 5.1.2600.7392
NTFS.SYS version 5.1.2600.5512 to 5.1.2600.7392 (the former was from 2008!)

I use Trend Internet Security, and the registry key referred to earlier has not been added to my system.

I'm using Firefox 52.5.3ESR quite happily.
Is there a later patched version then, or is that it?

:)

Edited by Dave-H
Additions

Not sure about ATMFD.DLL, but the rest would seem to be related to the NT kernel.

I'm checking to see if this patch will be released for XP 64-bit. The last time there was a major bug like this, they did release an emergency patch, so it stands to reason they may do the same in this case.

c

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

Not sure about ATMFD.DLL, but the rest would seem to be related to the NT kernel.

I'm checking to see if this patch will be released for XP 64-bit. The last time there was a major bug like this, they did release an emergency patch, so it stands to reason they may do the same in this case.

c

thats font driver

My update went semi-smooth.  The Windows Update found both KB's and installed them fast.  After the reboot I ran Update again and it said kb4056615 was needed.  I checked Belarc and it reported it was installed and I verified it was in Control Panel / Programs.  So I just hid the warning in Windows Update.  Also, I had no conflicts with Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ or my MalwareBytes Anti Exploit.  And like Dave, I have not noticed a performance hit, but I do little on this machine.  My 2 updated Windows 10 Machines seem to be about as fast as well and no conflicts with anything else I'm running. 

Thanks guys and keep on XP'ing!  

Installed both:

2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056941)

2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056615)

No issue's so far, running an older NOD 32 AV 4.2.71.2

Major changes have been made to the kernel, which will require MS to make changes to some components as well, such as the ATMFD.dll and NTFS.sys files (there will certainly be some updates, by the way, NTFS.sys, the first official patch since appearing from SP3). Now software such as virus scanners or the behavior of programs (MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit, EMET ect.) that interact at the kernel level can get malfunctions that are not apparent at first.

Note:
I do not want to know which barrels were opened!

@SD73

In your place, I would download KB4056941 and KB4056615, disconnect network, disable Ad-Aware Free Antivirus and MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit, and reinstall the two updates! Press the thumb it works!

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2017/12/windowsxp-kb4056941-x86-embedded-enu_24ebcc41e3f03048c25cf02d8d8ab6107479aabd.exe
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2017/12/windowsxp-kb4056615-x86-embedded-enu_2ce39329b6854ba3fb28eba1847a15a39c4709be.exe

@FranceBB

Based on the updates (NTFS.sys), I think the Avast with the version 17.9.3761.0 appropriate security measures taken in Windows XP meant that no more files can copy properly. At a later date I will try again at an official update by Avast.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

At this point it appears that KB4056615, despite being a kernel update, does not address the Meltdown/Spectre issue. At least neither the official Speculation Control Validation PowerShell script from Microsoft nor Alex Ionescu's SpecuCheck seem to think that it does anything to fix the problem. (To run the PS script on XP, refer to Wolferajd_fur's tip in the Q&A section. For the compiled SpecuCheck executable, you'll have to doctor the minimum OS version in the PE header.) Edit: Of course there's a possibility that these tools themselves don't work properly on XP, but I'd think the syptoms for that would look a bit different.

I looked at the Windows 7 Meltdown/Spectre patch (KB4056897), and it updates a huge number of major system components and drivers, not just the kernel and the NTFS driver. It seems we'll have to wait a bit longer to get a fix for XP.

Edited by mixit

10 hours ago, SD73 said:

My update went semi-smooth.  The Windows Update found both KB's and installed them fast.  After the reboot I ran Update again and it said kb4056615 was needed.  I checked Belarc and it reported it was installed and I verified it was in Control Panel / Programs.  So I just hid the warning in Windows Update.  Also, I had no conflicts with Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ or my MalwareBytes Anti Exploit.  And like Dave, I have not noticed a performance hit, but I do little on this machine.  My 2 updated Windows 10 Machines seem to be about as fast as well and no conflicts with anything else I'm running. 

Thanks guys and keep on XP'ing!  

Hmm, I'm getting the same problem on my netbook, although it hasn't happened on my main machine.
KB4056615 keeps saying it need to be installed when it already is installed!
I seems to remember this was a common problem with updates years ago, that some would just not "stick", but I haven't seen it for a very long time.
:(

6 hours ago, mixit said:

At this point it appears that KB4056615, despite being a kernel update, does not address the Meltdown/Spectre issue. At least neither the official Speculation Control Validation PowerShell script from Microsoft nor Alex Ionescu's SpecuCheck seem to think that it does anything to fix the problem. (To run the PS script on XP, refer to Wolferajd_fur's tip in the Q&A section. For the compiled SpecuCheck executable, you'll have to doctor the minimum OS version in the PE header.) Edit: Of course there's a possibility that these tools themselves don't work properly on XP, but I'd think the syptoms for that would look a bit different.

I looked at the Windows 7 Meltdown/Spectre patch (KB4056897), and it updates a huge number of major system components and drivers, not just the kernel and the NTFS driver. It seems we'll have to wait a bit longer to get a fix for XP.

i recompiled it

SpecuCheck.exe

@SD73

I've just checked and I now know why KB4056615 is repeatedly installing.
Whatever the system says, it hasn't actually installed completely!
NTKRNLPA.EXE in my \System32 folder is still version 5.1.2600.7259, and so is NTOSKRNL.EXE.
The versions in the \DLLCache folder are correct, and all the other files are correct everywhere.
I'm going to try the standalone installer, and if that doesn't work either, I'll try in Safe Mode.
I guess the files aren't being replaced because of some access problem.
:dubbio:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

@SD73

I've just checked and I now know why KB4056615 is repeatedly installing.
Whatever the system says, it hasn't actually installed completely!
NTKRNLPA.EXE in my \System32 folder is still version 5.1.2600.7259, and so is NTOSKRNL.EXE.
The versions in the \DLLCache folder are correct, and all the other files are correct everywhere.
I'm going to try the standalone installer, and if that doesn't work either, I'll try in Safe Mode.
I guess the files aren't being replaced because of some access problem.
:dubbio:

Interesting!  I will try the man with a capes suggestion, heinoganda and report back.  

Hrmmmm.  I'm may be worse off than you, Dave.  Both my Kernel are 5.1.2600.7053.  I ran both the updates from the downloads this time after I disconnected from the LAN, and disabled both my malware softwares.

They both installed without issue; however, when i checked Windows Update it still said KB4056615 was missing.