POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

this month there's also ndp40-kb4021915-x86, which is available for download at the MS Update Catalog, but is not being offered at MU/WU, for some obscure and unguessable reason...

Of course! Because KB4021915 was released long ago, in early June 2017!:w00t:

Looks like this update got 'Critical' status in December instead of 'Important' in June. Microsoft decided.:rolleyes:

In my excellent home network (Workgroup), I have this XP machine on which I am now typing (Dell Optiplex 755), a Dell Optiplex 7010 dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit, my wife's iMac and MacBook Pro, my Blackberry, my wife's two iPhones and two iPads, my Kindle, our HP AIO Printer, our DSL modem-router (the "treffpunkt"), my toothbrush and a paper cup with a string through the bottom.

Now, when the XP and the Win 10 Pro are both on, they do NOT see each other in Network.  Folders designated as "Shared" (yes, with the correct Security settings) don't work in Network,  They used to, but an update to the Win 10 stopped that.  Lots of folks are complaining about this, not just I.  (Shared folders work fine between the XP and the Win 7 and even between the XP and the iMac, but not between the XP and the Win 10.)

In the Win 10, if I re-enable SMBv1, it all works again - Shared folders are again visible between the XP and the 10.  But SMBv1 is some type of security no-no these days, so ideally we should be able to fix the problem with SMBv1 staying OFF in Win 10.  I checked, and the Win 10 does have SMBv2 enabled (and probably SMBv3 because they go together like peanut butter and jelly).

So - even though the fault is in the Win 10 and not yet fixed by MS, is there anything I can do in XP that will get the Shares sharing again?  Is there an SMBv2/3 for XP?  I also tried pouring coffee into that cup, but it dripped all over the dog.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

3 hours ago, glnz said:

But SMBv1 is some type of security no-no these days, so ideally we should be able to fix the problem with SMBv1

As long as your router, or any other device do not forward the port 445 or 139 (default ports of the SMB) to the open internet, and SMB is used only on LAN, you should be safe. As Shodan shows, there are over million SMB connections visible from the open internet :>

There is no well known and reliable way of running SMB v2 or v3 on XP, and, personally, I'd be more afraid of testing some shady implementation, if the security is a concern.

So, from my point of view, I'd personally make sure that these ports are running only locally and not visible to the open internet. This website contains a lot of links how to do so. Second, If you are still afraid, you can try to disable it on the mobile devices using, for example, some firewall rules like 'allow connection only in this particular local network'. I don't know how to do it on Macs, I highly doubt it is possible on iPod/iPad if they support the protocol at all, not even saying about Kindle. Or limit allowed connections only to some particular devices.

So, SMB v1 runs in my local network, and yet I'm much more concerned about potential e-mail phishing or malwaretising hooking my relatives attention.

Agree SMB is a non issue, for home users or small business users at the very least.  As long as you have a router or external firewall blocking all of those ports in/out from the internet than it's a non issue.  Same goes for a lot of other things.  Microsoft is just doing this because there are too many retards out there.

I never share files with "shared folders". When I have to send files between computers, I do it by network unit. It works by default without special settings between my XP, 7 and 10. I only put the first time \\namepc\C$ and they are already open forever.

Edited by wyxchari

wyxchari - what is "network unit"?  Please send me link.  (Do you mean mapped drive, so that the entire hard drive of one computer has a mapped drive letter in the other?)

Destro - thanks for comment!

16 hours ago, glnz said:

wyxchari - what is "network unit"?  Please send me link.  (Do you mean mapped drive, so that the entire hard drive of one computer has a mapped drive letter in the other?)

Screenshot - 18_12_2017 , 08_49_13.jpg

You can map an entire unit \\namepc\C$ or a single folder \\namepc\C$\folder

Screenshot - 18_12_2017 , 08_48_20.jpg

Screenshot - 18_12_2017 , 08_48_50.jpg

Edited by wyxchari

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!  Thank God for Alka-Seltzer!

First Q for the New Year:

In the last few days, I created a spreadsheet on a Win 7 machine in Excel 2013 or 2016 (don't remember) and emailed it,  But when I re-open the email from my Outlook Express on my XP machine and try to open the spreadsheet attachment in Office 2003, the little window "File conversion in progress ..." never ends; if I hit cancel, I get "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action"; then Excel gets stuck; and if I go to Task Manager to End Process for EXCEL.EXE, that works but the process excelcnv.exe continues and cannot be killed.  I have to reboot my XP to get rid of it.

Great start to the New Year!

Is there any connection to the updates we've been installing for the Compatibility Pack?  Suggestions?  Thanks.

@glnz

Can I remember that you have installed Avast. Have a problem with the current version 17.9.3761.0 found that when copying some files that copy infinitely and not come to the conclusion of the process (noticed in the files mb3-setup-consumer-3.3.1.2183.exe and mb3-setup-consumer-3.3 .1.2183-1.0.262-1.0.3374.exe). Disabling Avast did not solve this problem, so I installed an earlier version (17.5.3585.0) of Avast where this problem does not occur. There have been problems with Office programs on Windows XP in earlier versions, with older versions of Avast. It seems that the current version of Avast has once again become a problem. Currently, the offline installers of Avast under XP can only be used to a limited extent! Best remedy, it should be created before the update of Avast (only manually update) an image of the installed XP.

:)

Glad I've read that just before the armaggeddon.

Avast! Has online installers here and there, I wasn't able to find offline installer for older version within no time. However, Simply installing in limited set of defences (I didn't install e-mail protection and browser protection this time).

So far it works.

If you have goodlink for Avast offline install for 17.5.3585.0, paste it here, so lamers like me can have easy job.

Thanks.

A new security flaw has been discovered; it affects CPUs and it's bad... like, really bad...

"Details of the flaw and how it might be exploited are being kept strictly under wraps while programmers rush to redesign operating systems including Windows and Linux to work around the bug. Calcs executed by the CPU may not necessarily remain hidden between the Kernel, the HAL and the CPU itself and an attacker might be able to steal passwords or other key information from the kernel. Operating system vendors are making fairly significant changes to work around this issue. This is going to be one of the most complex security updates any OS vendor has ever had to deliver."