POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

den and mixit - thanks for your patience, 

After fussing a bit with my Firefox, I am able to see Mixit's insert link only after both (a) importing the certificate for msfn.org and (b) clicking on the lock icon in the address bar, seeing that this page is partially not secure, clicking on the > and hitting "Disable for now".  Unfortunately, that last option (the button for "Disable for now") is not available on every page.

On this XP machine, I have Firefix ESR 52.5.0 (32-bit).

Running FF with Add-ons Disabled didn't help.  Only the steps above helped.

The normal icons for moving to other pages still don't work unless I right-click and hit Open in New Tab.

Why so tough?

2 hours ago, glnz said:

Why so tough?

Because you must be using a supermegaüberparanoid security setting, if I know you at all!!! :P
Look: I use MSE v. 4.4.304.0 with up-to-date definitions, the default windows XPSP3 firewall, nothing but the default on the HOSTS file, a hardware firewall on the router and pi-hole for DNS and nothing else. None of my systems ever show the "Disable for now" nor care whether MSFN is offering mixed content or not. AND, the last time I got a system crippled by a virus was back in '88, by Jerusalem.

Ok OK - I'm so over-secured that the only thing still working is a manual typewriter and carbon paper.

But for my OTHER machines -- "On my wife's important SOHO machine (Win 7 64-bit), we are still using Office 2003.  Should any of the recent updates for Office or Compatibility be run manually on her machine?"

I'd do it. I did it to all my machines and alternate boot partitions, except I did not use the Office 2003 updates, only the ones for the 2007 Compatibility Pack, because they don't apply to my installations which are Office 2000 or 97 with the 2007 Compatibility Pack. But I also did replace the Equation Editor executable everywhere, as per @mixit's instructions.

On 17/11/2017 at 12:30 AM, dencorso said:

@Dave-H: That's a classic one! If your machine has a winlogon.exe which version is less than 5.1.2600.6443, I strongly recommend you to install this hotfix: KB2878379-v2. I've never again got a "c000021a" error after installing it.

So much helpful information, that needs to be stitched ;)

@glnz @dencorso

The funny thing is that I don't even like to post references with that box thing (which, as I just discovered, is an iframe - ugh...), but since pasting a post link gets automatically converted to it, I just don't bother to change it every time, as the Link tool in the editor has its own idiosyncracies (at least in my case it forgets the clipboard contents, so I always have to go back and copy my text/URL again after having opened it - pretty annoying :rolleyes:). I really wish we could use BBCode here.

4 minutes ago, mixit said:

I really wish we could use BBCode here.

+1. It's too bad we cannot. It's worse than FF Quantum (we've still got FF esr for half next year if not more and hopefully will remain having New Moon at least until POSReady 2009 EoS, if not longer), however, because we cannot forsake MSFN. 

On 17/11/2017 at 4:14 PM, dencorso said:

At present I do recommend just 3 other true hotfixes, the ones marked as hotfix in this post

The hotfix suggested are really worth thanks, maybe only the first one (KB948101v3) can be avoided cause it's only related to a specific MBchip (credit @Yellow Horrow).

KB948101 - A USB keyboard does not work after you restart a Windows XP-based computer that has an NVIDIA 680i motherboard installed

I would add this one KB922120v6 to see XP system in W7/8/10 net

KB922120 - Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

A great resource to retrieve hotfix, as support.microsoft often removes that files, is here (you can use search tab to find anything in any language)

Edited by Vistaboy

A tip for the unofficial updates that are no longer findable, directly paste the following link in the address bar and insert the required KB number.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=KB NUMBER&kbln=en-US

An example for KB916157:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=916157&kbln=en-US

:)

Edited by heinoganda

On 18/11/2017 at 8:44 PM, dencorso said:

Clipboard02.png

I have installed HotFix 959765 NdisUSB and 2828030 AudioUSB.
I've noticed that before installing I had the versions:
usbport.sys 6437, usbehci.sys 5778, usbuhci.sys 5512
After installing them:
usbport.sys 6437, usbehci.sys 6368, usbuhci.sys 6368

The usbport.sys version was larger than the hotfix 6368 version even before installing it.

Edited by wyxchari

11 hours ago, Vistaboy said:

I would add this one KB922120v6 to see XP system in W7/8/10 net

Good suggestion! I agree that one is a useful addition to my shortlist of must-have HotFixes above.
And here's some good info on it (beyond MS's KB922120), at Linksys: KB922120

@FranceBB and @Vistaboy:

@heinoganda's trick also applies to ITA HotFixes! Do try:

https://support.microsoft.com/it-it/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=922120&kbln=it-IT

35 minutes ago, wyxchari said:

I have installed HotFix 959765 NdisUSB and 2828030 AudioUSB.
I've noticed that before installing I had the versions:
usbport.sys 6437 (no 6368), usbehci.sys 5778, usbuhci.sys 5512
After installing them:
usbport.sys 6437 (no 6368), usbehci.sys 6368, usbuhci.sys 6368

The usbport.sys version was larger than the hotfix version even before installing it.

That's exactly what's expected to happen when one has KB2862330 (MS13-081) already installed (where usbport.sys v. 6437 and usbehci.sys v. 5778 came from). :yes: