POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I wanted to thank the participants of this forum thread for helping me solve this month's problem with the windows updates in my windows xp embedded.
I always update with Microsoft Update from internet explorer and it took about 3 hours to find the updates.
Last month it never ended and he had to choose not to use internet explorer but automatic updates of the control panel to be able to hibernate the computer and continue the search for updates the next day. It took 2 whole days.
This month the problem got worse and I was already gone for 3 days without finding the updates. As in Windows 10 there have also been problems this month with the Malicious Remove Tool, I figured that in XP it would be the same and I found this thread.
I installed KB4047206, KB4011265 and KB4011205, I restarted, I searched for updates with internet explorer and found the 4 that were missing in 2 minutes !!!!!!!!!!
Thank you very much.
From now on, when you see how long it takes to find updates, I will consult the ones available
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=XP+Embedded
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=office+compatibility
and giving to order by descending date clicking on 'Date' column header.
The updates that can take a long time to find are the cumulative of both Internet explorer and windows.
Again, thank you very much for everything from Spain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quería agradecer a los participartes de este hilo del foro por haberme ayudado a solventar el problema de este mes con las actualizaciones de windows en mi windows xp embedded.
Yo siempre actualizo con Microsoft Update desde internet explorer y tardaba unas 3 horas en encontrar las actualizaciones.
El mes pasado no terminaba nunca y tuvo que optar por no usar internet explorer sino las actualizaciones automáticas del panel de control para poder así hibernar el ordenador y que continuara la búsqueda de actualizaciones al día siguiente. Tardó 2 días enteros.
Este mes el problema se agrabó y ya iba por 3 días sin encontrar las actualizaciones. Como en Windows 10 también ha habido problemas este mes con el Malicious Remove Tool, imaginé que en XP sería igual y encontré este hilo.
Instalé KB4047206, KB4011265 y KB4011205, reinicié, busqué actualizaciones con internet explorer y encontró las 4 que faltaban en 2 minutos!!!!!!!!!!
Muchas gracias.
A partir de ahora cuando vea que tarda en encontrar actualizaciones consultaré las disponibles en
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=XP+Embedded
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=office+compatibility
y dando a ordenar por fecha descendente pulsando sobre el título de la columna de las fechas de las actualizaciones.
Las actualizaciones que pueden tardar mucho en encontrarse son las acumulativas tanto de internet explorer como de windows.
De nuevo muchas gracias por todo desde España.

Edited by wyxchari

13 hours ago, dencorso said:

Then my diagnosis is right: your system fell victim of a race condition (a bug) existing between threads in winlogon.exe. It quite rarely manifests itself, but sometimes it does. Rest assured the crash you saw has nothing whatsoever to do with the updates you had just applied.

Thanks as always den!
I've installed the update and all seems fine.
:thumbup
My winlogon.exe is now 5.1.2600.6443.
I guess I was lucky that BSOD hadn't happened before if my system was vulnerable to it.
It was just bad luck that the first time it happened was just after a set of updates, which made me think that one of them had caused it of course!

I'd be interested to know too if there are any other patches like that which we should have, mainly because presumably eventually Microsoft will remove them.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

At present I do recommend just 3 other true hotfixes, the ones marked as hotfix in this post, and the exFAT upgrade (KB955704), which version for XPSP3 has been already pulled by MS, but can still be found here. Moreover, MDGx's (yes he's alive!) enthusiastic page about exFAT is a good read (although I do still prefer either FAT32 or NTFS, a closed proprietary fs like exFAT dos not thrill me at all, as you may imagine). I haven't identified any other which is a true must, besides those. YMMV, of course! :yes:

1 minute ago, Dibya said:

@dencorso I need exfat for my camera.

7 minutes ago, dencorso said:

which version for XPSP3 has been already pulled by MS, but can still be found here.

There's a link under the word "here" in the quote above...

8 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Moreover, MDGx's enthusiastic page about exFAT is a good read

There's another link under the words "page about exFAT" in the quote above...
If you search enough, MDGx's page may even have a driver for CP/M... :)

55 minutes ago, dencorso said:

There's a link under the word "here" in the quote above...

There's another link under the words "page about exFAT" in the quote above...
If you search enough, MDGx's page may even have a driver for CP/M... :)

Won't cp/m to old to run jpeg

FYI, since probably not everyone here frequents the Office section and this is not something automatically offered to those of us with Office 2000/XP/2003 with Office 2007 Compatibility Pack:

Edited by mixit

On 11/16/2017 at 9:30 PM, dencorso said:

@Dave-H: That's a classic one! If your machine has a winlogon.exe which version is less than 5.1.2600.6443, I strongly recommend you to install this hotfix: KB2878379-v2. I've never again got a "c000021a" error after installing it.

You know, I didn't have any issues, but when you pointed that out, I checked my winlogon.exe and I found out I had the old version: 5.1.2600.5512. I've just donwloaded the Italian version and updated. Thanks ^_^

As to the KB955704 (exFAT), I tried to google it but I didn't find it. Dencorso, your version is the English one, but my XP install needs the Italian one. I found a user who uploaded it on his dropbox in 2016, but that link expired too. It seems that only the one for Windows Server 2003 is available, which is a shame. Many people complained in the Italian Microsoft forum, but didn't get any useful answer from Microsoft MVPs. Perhaps @jaclaz has an Italian XP install and KB955704?

26 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

As to the KB955704 (exFAT), I tried to google it but I didn't find it. Dencorso, your version is the English one, but my XP install needs the Italian one. I found a user who uploaded it on his dropbox in 2016, but that link expired too. It seems that only the one for Windows Server 2003 is available, which is a shame. Many people complained in the Italian Microsoft forum, but didn't get any useful answer from Microsoft MVPs. Perhaps @jaclaz has an Italian XP install and KB955704?

https://web.archive.org/web/20150922145904/download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/5/A05EF63F-F0FF-4D7F-9441-3BAFCCDED0F0/WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ITA.exe

Everyone - three things -

1)  mixit - your posts show only a grey box where you present useful info.  (Just recently at http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?do=findComment&comment=1147450).  What should I do to see what you posted?

2)  On my wife's important SOHO machine (Win 7 64-bit), we are still using Office 2003.  Should any of the recent updates for Office or Compatibility be run manually on her machine?

3)  On this my favorite forum, the buttons for INSERT URL (the chain link icon) and >> (go to Last Page) don't work.  Also, the buttons for any page (such as "122") don't work.

Might 1) and 3) be the result of my having so much security on my Firefox browser that I now need to use a password to go to the loo?  (NoScript, Disconnect, BetterPrivacy, AdBlockPlus (actually turned off for this site), CookieMonster, HTTPS Everywhere ...)

Thanks.

On 11/17/2017 at 4:14 PM, dencorso said:

At present I do recommend just 3 other true hotfixes, the ones marked as hotfix in this post

Hm, maybe I haven't sleep enough last night, but I just can't figure out from that post what exactly are those 3 hotfixes. There are so many numbers...

@glnz Well, I have noscript, adblock plus and better privacy of those firefox addons, and haven't experienced any of problems with this site You've mentioned. It might be one of other addons or something else.

15 minutes ago, niko32 said:

Hm, maybe I haven't sleep enough last night, but I just can't figure out from that post what exactly are those 3 hotfixes. There are so many numbers...

This rings any bells? :dubbio:

Clipboard02.png

1 hour ago, glnz said:

What should I do to see what you posted?

Reset to default colors? :unsure:  The jumpback icon links to this post.

Clipboard01.png