POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

den, heinoganda, bersaglio and mcinnwwllrrll-

From a link on Askwoody, I just noticed there is ALSO this:

Word Viewer   Description of the security update for Word Viewer: November 14, 2017 (KB4011264), which leads you to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011264/descriptionofthesecurityupdateforwordviewernovember14-2017 

I remember that you all said we SHOULD run the "Word Viewer" updates if we have Office 2003 with the 2007 Compatibility Pack.  (Correct?)  So, should we manually install this update for Word Viewer: November 14, 2017 (KB4011264) ?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, SD73 said:

HOTFIX ID:

EOL-MIICROSOFT-WINXP

EOL-MIICROSOFT-OFFICE03

If a program shows me such a message, it can be assumed that there are no updated entries here, after in terms of the official end of support. This program might display many older updates (until April 2014), which are replaced by more recent ones from May 2014.

@glnz

KB4011264 is for Word Viewer 2003 and not applicable for Office 2003. Unfortunately this time not usable. :no:

:)

Those 2 updates, are just Microsoft fake news. scare tactic updates.  They were part of microsofts fake news campain where they released fake updates and paid 100s of people to make fake news articles about how XP was dead and to scare you into buying new software.

Edited by Destro

Yep. I wasn't concerned about those two.  I'm glad my PC was smart enough to avoid them as the last thing  I want to see when it boots are those messages.  Now I'm looking forward to next months updates to see how smooth they go.  Thanks again, fellas!

Before I publish a list of the most recent updates for Windows in this forum, I check these in my virtual machine to see if they are a problem or cause a malfunction. Each update is extracted individually to see which files or entries in the registry are changing and, as in the case of KB4048968, whether the application has been restricted to other XP variants.

@SD73

Happy to hear when you finally get all the latest updates.
If necessary, I still have some medicine available. :lol:

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Yes, it does look that way!
:yes:

I had a bit of a nasty moment when doing the latest updates.
I had installed the three problem ones without incident, and then did the other four using MS Update.
All went well until the restart, at which point instead of a normal restart, I was greeted by this -

BSOD.thumb.jpg.05036c4e17c77f5665d3859ee6d3bb64.jpg

Not what I wanted to see!
Fearing the worst, I restarted the machine, and it restarted normally and now seems fine (touch wood!)

The only possibly relevant things in the logs are this in the System log -

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    SideBySide
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    58
Date:        16/11/17
Time:        22:29:40
User:        N/A
Computer:    AshfieldCourt
Description:
Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\WIN-NT\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.6028_x-ww_61e65202.Manifest" on line 5.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://localhost:90/redirect.php.

and this in the Application log -

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Windows Search Service
Event Category:	Gatherer 
Event ID:	3025
Date:		16/11/17
Time:		22:29:43
User:		N/A
Computer:	AshfieldCourt
Description:
Critical error 9 occurred, and the index was shut down. The system is probably low on resources. Free up resources and restart the service.

Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
	Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.   (0x800705aa)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://localhost:90/redirect.php.

Whether they are at all relevant to the BSOD I don't know.
A nasty moment!
:dubbio:

@Yellow Horror

No, the most recent one is from last June.
It didn't look like a normal BSOD.
:no:

@dencorso

My winlogon.exe is version 5.1.2600.5512.
I'll try updating it.
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Additions

10 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

My winlogon.exe is version 5.1.2600.5512

Then my diagnosis is right: your system fell victim of a race condition (a bug) existing between threads in winlogon.exe. It quite rarely manifests itself, but sometimes it does. Rest assured the crash you saw has nothing whatsoever to do with the updates you had just applied.

8 hours ago, dencorso said:

Then my diagnosis is right: your system fell victim of a race condition (a bug) existing between threads in winlogon.exe. It quite rarely manifests itself, but sometimes it does. Rest assured the crash you saw has nothing whatsoever to do with the updates you had just applied.

Interesting!!, I didn't know about this!!

Is there a list of available hotfixes for windows xp not included in windows update or even in the catalog?