POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I don't know how much attention I have to give to all your good advice on what to do and what not, wih Windows XP.

Here I am running a Norwegian edition, but I also have an English version. I believe I had Installed SP4 on the previous installation, I am now running a newly installed Norwegian version. I presume there will be to much trouble to get Norwegian versions of all the updates - both past and present that may happen to be downloaded, I presume the default will be English. After this installation, I don't feel like I'd want to replace it with my English one. I dont like fixing machines, I like using machines, that's what they are made for. And so am I as well;)

BTW, I seem to remember to have heard about something can be done with Windows 7 to make it look a litle more like XP? Anyone know anything about that?

Classic Shell is wonderful (and no, I don't work for them :lol:).
It's one of those programs that's so good IMO that you can't believe that it's actually free!
It was the only thing that made Windows 8/8.1 usable for me.
:yes:

On 31.10.2017 at 9:31 PM, 8bitbubsy said:

Someone suggested another KB for IE 8 earlier in this thread, and that one didn't cut it, so if anyone feels like giving up then try the KB Dave-H linked above.

Coming Patchday, in case there is a cumulative update for IE8, install it manually again first! :yes:

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Personally, I don't really trust the POSReady 2009 updates. My Windows XP began having strange problems after I started installing them. And one person reported that installing those updates wrecked his Windows XP system. I decided that from now on, I'm going to be very selective about which of those updates to install. For example, I'll probably install the .NET Framework updates (if I keep .NET installed), as well as any other updates that will install without using the POSReady hack.

EDIT: To clarify, this is the main reason I don't completely trust those updates (most of them):

We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

(Emphasis added.)

Source:  Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP

Also consider software vendors producing software that is still compatible with Windows XP. They will almost certainly be testing their software on "stock" Windows XP SP3 systems; it is highly unlikely that they would test their software on Windows XP systems that have been updated using the POSReady 2009 hack.

Edited by pcalvert
Clarification

36 minutes ago, pcalvert said:

Personally, I don't really trust the POSReady 2009 updates. My Windows XP began having strange problems after I started installing them. And one person reported that installing those updates wrecked his Windows XP system.

Right, because one person wrecking their system with updates is something that never happened with normal XP updates when it was still being supported... I don't want to be sarcastic, but I'll rather take a forum full of success stories spanning several years than something posted in July 2014 that very informatively says:

I wouldn't advise using these windows xp updates because they wrecked my copy of windows xp. i would use windows 7 instead because it's a very good operating system.

Still, everyone is entitled to do with their system as they see fit, so anyone who doesn't trust these updates or experiences them causing problems can absolutely choose not to install them. It would be useful though to describe such problems in more detail to better forewarn others -  and maybe even get help for solving them.

1 hour ago, pcalvert said:

And one person reported that installing those updates wrecked his Windows XP system.

One person has reported this at early July 2014? Please don't trust such nonsense from Microsoft adepts! Windows XP and XP Embedded are the same systems with no differences between them. Updates for XP Embedded and Windows XP are identical excluding digital signatures and required registry entries. However, hardware and software problems can occur with any system.

Edited by Bersaglio

1 hour ago, pcalvert said:

Personally, I don't really trust the POSReady 2009 updates.

There is only one update (KB2686509) for Windows XP that differs from Windows Embedded. Furthermore, the Microsoft Installer (MSI) 4.5 should be installed before the POSReady updates are installed. Whoever has observed this usually also no problems.

Especially with new installations, some updates (exFat KB955704) are no longer available, so I maintain my own update Rollups!

Edited by heinoganda

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

Wow! KB2686509 is the Keyboard Layout Checker from way back (Jan 2014)!!! How different are they?

There is indeed a detectable difference in KB2686509! Is probably related to the fact that there are more input devices for the embedded variants.

kblcheck_delta.jpg

Regarding the update rollups, yes in DEU and ENU!

Edited by heinoganda

Not so lucky, instead. Changing registry (the small one code) worked fine but these days, after a clean installation of XP SP3, i've only obtained svchost.exe steadly at 50% for three days by now (automatic updates & Bits services setted in automatic and started).

I've preliminarly installed KB942288-v3 and also IE8 CU KB4040685 but no way to see any yellow shield with POS updates.

Furthermore updates for Office 2007 freshly installed never appearead too, and i can't find any page accesible on IE8 where i can add further updates for microsoft. I tried to install also Silverlight to have this option but it seems that trick works only for Vista/7.

Can someone tell me if i have to desist at all?

Due to bug in Windows Update, if you have office 2007 installed and not patched, system will be looking for updates for ages. Some on this topic also reported, that IE8 updates could be slowing down the process.

There are three ways:

1) Wait for the updates to pop up... and yes, it can take DAYS on slower machines.

2) Manually install Office patches and maybe IE8 patches. AFAIK there is no full list of Office 2007 patches to install, you will need to make your own investigation which patches supersedes which and install them. After that, WU will work in more gentle manner, and take <1 hour to find updates.

3) Go for Harkaz unofficial XP SP4.

Info about slow patch lookup should be in the first post, I think. Maybe I'll send one or two suggestions to you, @glnz, when I'll have more time :>

SP4 won't help you, as it contains no updates for office.  I've demonstrated on the forum that the same issue applies to office 2003 with 2007 comparability pack.  This behavior doesn't exist on 2003 vanilla without the compatibility pack.  It is specifically SP3 of the compatibility pack vanilla compatibility pack doesn't cause a issue till u install sp3.  After that manual updates to the compatibility pack are necessary to proceed.  It is easy enough since its only 3-4 updates. 

For 2007 I have no idea I didn't trouble shoot the problem only 2003.  If you want to make a VM and break fix XP with 2007 office to figure out which hotfixes specifically break it we could make a thread about it and I would post the 2003 stuff there.

My windows update with all office patches installed is not 1 hour it is more like 5 minutes.

What you want to do is go to the update catalog and search for Office 2007 and list updates by date.  Install the most recent ones.  Like the cones for specific office 2007 applications and the ones that say suites.  

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Destro