POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

On 18.10.2017 at 9:45 AM, heinoganda said:

Because of KB4019276, communication between a client and server with TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 is possible (domain controller and IIS).

Regarding WIFI:
There was an update for Windows XP, KB4042723 (wzcsvc.dll). Best inquire inform at your router manufacturer, whether your router is affected by this vulnerability.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Aha, so I wasn't that far off with my speculation prior to September Patch Tuesday :) - looking at file dates, the TLS fix had already been completed at that time, but for some reason it was held back for two regular release days. Thanks for keeping tabs on this, @heinoganda!

22 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Will KB4019276 be offered via Windows Update does anyone know, or will it always have to be installed manually? :dubbio:

According to Microsoft,  It'll be on WU/WSUS as Optional starting January 16 and will turn Recommended on February 13. (Perhaps they'll fix IE and WinHTTP by the time to make it more useful.)

22 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Chrome shows TLS 1.2, but SNI is still not available.

Just so there's no confusion: Chrome was capable of TLS 1.2 on XP even before this fix. (relevant forum topic)

14 hours ago, glnz said:

Dumb Q - should I install

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4019276 ?

I ask because my XP machine is wired to my home network, not WiFi.  (But other devices are WiFi off the same modem-router with wired and WiFi.)

That answer is above my pay grade.  BUT, my XP machine is wired like yours.  I slapped it on and didn't have an issue.

@glnz
Unless you have software with specific need for this upgraded TLS functionality (which currently doesn't work with IE, for example), you don't need to install it right now. it's not a security patch (not in the usual sense, anyway) and it has no direct bearing on the WiFi vulnerability (presumably addressed by KB4042723). It wouldn't be a problem to wait until becomes available on WU early next year; but it wouldn't be a problem if you installed it now, either. Totally up to you. :)

Edited by mixit

22 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Here is the link for the Norwegian language version of Windows XP.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2017/10/windowsxp-kb4019276-x86-embedded-nor_be244a0ef03a7b2bd69923b3f7617594b21585fa.exe

Allright, that would downoad that file. But I think I should be able to downoad all relevant updates. Do updates have to match the language of the OS installed?

I thought I had installed SP4 on this drive, but I don't find it on the lsit of installed software.  It probably was installed on a different drive.  How come I get updates before I've done anything to enable them. except for enabling updates in the Security Center menu Firewall/Automatic Updates/Virus Protection?

I am afraid I am not as familiar with the registry as I ought to be. I will search the forum for the info I need to modify the registry to handle POS Ready updates. Alhough it seems like updates already are coming.

ETA, When I try to use the link, I am being informed that the languages don't match,

Edited by Roffen
fix text

It should be installed before the POSReady key is installed the regular updates (with under IE8, Media Player11 and if necessary .NET framework 3.5 / 4). Next, disable Automatic Updates, Install Windows Installer 4.5.

KB942288-v3 for Windows Installer 4.5
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/6/1/261fca42-22c0-4f91-9451-0e0f2e08356d/WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe

KB4040685 for IE8
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2017/09/ie8-windowsxp-kb4040685-x86-embedded-nor_137ebc499cced82d90fae6c4b9e27d014a82ad62.exe

Now enter the POSReady entry in the registry, restart, install current Cumulative Update for IE8 (update each month manually before starting a scan for updates) and the Internet Explorer with Windows Update to search for updates.

If a Norwegian language version of Windows XP is installed, then Norwegian updates are also required according to the language version. There is an exception when an English-language Windows XP Pro VLK (volume license key) with Norwegian MUI (Multilingual User Interface) is installed, but English-language updates are still installed.

Is an Office Software Installed (Word Excel)?

Edited by heinoganda

Which version of MSWord, older, same or newer than 2007? Is the Office Compatibility Pack installed?

If the version of MSWord is older than 2007, and no Office Compatibility Pack is installed, then disable Automatic Updates, restart the PC, make sure Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288-v3 INT) is installed, now the latest cumulative update for IE8 (KB4040685 NOR) download and install, make sure that the POSReady entry is correctly registered in the registry, and finally open Internet Explorer and let Windows Update check for updates.

KB942288-v3 for Windows Installer 4.5
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/6/1/261fca42-22c0-4f91-9451-0e0f2e08356d/WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe

KB4040685 for IE8
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2017/09/ie8-windowsxp-kb4040685-x86-embedded-nor_137ebc499cced82d90fae6c4b9e27d014a82ad62.exe

Does anyone know what causes scanning for updates to take "forever" and possible solutions? By "forever" I mean no results after waiting for more than one hour. Based on previous experience, such behavior does not seem at all normal.

If you had read back in this thread, which you presumably didn't, you would have seen that this is a known issue going back now many months.
One of my last scans took many hours to complete, another took several days!
It appears to be being caused by any Office updates that are included, and some have put the finger on the IE8 updates too.
Now support for Office before version 2007 has ended, it seems likely that this will now improve, but we won't know until next month.
At the moment, you need to download and install manually any Office updates, and the IE8 update too for good measure.
After that the scan should take the normal time after which you can install any remaining updates using the normal update process.

40 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

It appears to be being caused by any Office updates that are included

It can't be that because I don't have anything Office-related installed. In fact, I am starting with a relatively pristine system. However, I do have IE8 installed. Based on my testing, the POSReady 2008 hack itself seems to be the culprit.

Test #1:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Result: Scanning for updates is fairly quick (normal speed), but updates released after February 2016 are not found.

Test #2:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Result: Scanning for updates is extremely slow.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/23/2017 at 3:41 PM, Dave-H said:

OK, well in that case try downloading just the IE8 Cumulative Update from here, install it manually, and try scanning again.
:yes:

Wow, this fixed the high CPU usage for me, and now it actually finds updates instead of getting stuck. Thanks for this one, the Pos Ready reghack is useful again!

EDIT: Someone suggested another KB for IE 8 earlier in this thread, and that one didn't cut it, so if anyone feels like giving up then try the KB Dave-H linked above.

Edited by 8bitbubsy