POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

@SD73

On the subject of the high CPU utilization during the search at WU / MU, I had already given a recommendation a long time ago.

Here, the steps with the most recent cumulative update of IE8 and Office Compatibility Pack and / or Office Updates have already been circulated, but no one seems to have taken the trouble to date. That's why an upvote to @dencorso

@ all

Small info on the edge, the complete list of .NET Framework 3.5 and 4 updates for Windows XP now also with downloadlinks.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Of course, who 1st found out the procedure I described was @heinoganda! In fact, my post quoted below was just an attempt to point out the procedure he described worked great for me (and, in a way, it was the last opportunity to fully test it, since, henceforward, only the IE8 update should suffice, unless some unexpected Office Compatibility Pack and / or Office Updates end up being released out-of-band (very unusual, but has happened before in similar cases)...

6 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@SD73

On the subject of the high CPU utilization during the search at WU / MU, I had already given a recommendation a long time ago.

Here, the steps with the most recent cumulative update of IE8 and Office Compatibility Pack and / or Office Updates have already been circulated, but no one seems to have taken the trouble to date. That's why an upvote to @dencorso

17 hours ago, dencorso said:

Well, I've downloaded and installed Comparability Pack update, then the IE8 one, and rebooted. Then I told MU to look for updates and waited just 1 (one) minute, before it gave me the list with the remaining updates. Did the same on my second machine and got the same result. And I guess, form next month on, just adding by hand the IE8 update ought to be enough to get such a result, once again.

My two machines are taking an eternity to scan as before, but I'll just let them take their time and see how long they actually do take, I'm in no hurry!

It will be interesting to see if in the future with no more updates for Office whether the scan times do reduce, as these seemed to be the main culprit.

I seem to remember that the last time there were no Office updates for a month, it was a lot better.

:yes:

@dencorso

Find it nice that you at least tried it before it is no longer possible. In the future, the most recent cumulative update for IE8 should suffice. Many should not forget to install the latest KB4025398 from August 28, 2017 (msinfo.dll), firstly uninstall the older KB4025398 update to restore the original version 5.1.2600.0 of the msinfo32.exe file.

10 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@SD73

@ all

Small info on the edge, the complete list of .NET Framework 3.5 and 4 updates for Windows XP now also with downloadlinks.

That's the thing.  My CPU was low.  Under 5 percent for over 5 hours.  I didn't notice any of the Update services running then either.  That's why I decided to manually download the updates.  I'll be interesting in hearing Dave's results from his wait and see testing.

Finally updated my main machine, using the normal IE8 interface.
I started it scanning at 1230 yesterday, the yellow shield finally appeared at 1930, after 7 hours, and the scan completed and showed the updates on IE8 sometime during the night!
All installed OK.
My other machine, the netbook, is still scanning after 48 hours, the yellow shield appeared after about 36 hours of scanning.
I'm being very patient.........
:lol:

All - my good old Dell Optiplex 755 with XP and black duct tape holding the front panel on has been scanning for 24 hours now.  This never happened before.  I'm very, very upset.  And it's really boring to watch!

From Bersaglio's links above, I manually installed only kb4040685.  What else should I manually install first?  All the others?  (But then there won't be anything left.)

This XP is getting exasperating.

►EDIT -- A svchost is running 50% of the CPU non-stop.  That's new also.  Yesterday, I had uninstalled and reinstalled "the latest KB4025398 from August 28, 2017" per Heinoganda above before going for the updates, and I think that started the high CPU usage.  Hmmm.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

Edited by glnz

1 hour ago, glnz said:

What else should I manually install first?

You should manually install KB3213647 (latest update for Office 2007 compatibility pack, You need one, I'm sure).:P

Then restart Your system and perform update scan again (now it will be completed within a maximum of 5-10 minutes).:cool: