POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

That's too bad Roffen.  It really works well.  You may want to try Dave's suggestion.  I haven't had any luck with the Microsoft one myself though.  However, in an effort to really secure my machine I've disabled all non essential services and at least one of which may be preventing me from running it.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:40 AM, glnz said:

dencorso, jaclaz, heinoganda and other wizards - for nostalgia sake, I just took a look at page 1 of this mighty thread.  May I suggest that you insert at the very top a compressed guide to what we're doing now?  In case others stumble upon this only three years late.  (A new post in AskWoody asked how to do the XP POS hack and was introduced to a page on ghacks.  But that hasn't been updated since 2014.)

I think we're now all using the simplest one-item reg hack, with particular single updates to WU and maybe IE so that everything continues to work.  You all have discovered and repeated those steps for the rest of us from time to time, but they are somewhere in the past of this time-tube. 

I was a newbie when I started here, but today I am a man!

@glnz: Thank you very much for kindly volunteering to create and mantain at the 1st post of this thread "a compressed guide to what we're doing now"! :yes:
I have accordingly transformed you into the OP of the thread, so as to allow you to do it easily, and to modify it as many times as you feel it's warranted. Don't worry, we sure will have lots of suggestions to improve it, once you create it! Enjoy! :angel

On 3/19/2013 at 10:28 PM, glnz said:

<reserved>

============

On 6/4/2017 at 1:33 AM, dencorso said:

The last time I've estimated the size of the full PC universe, as you can see in the quotation above, I came to 2 billion machines. Let's assume it didn't grow any, just for the sake of simplicity, and that means 5.66% of 2x109 = 113x106 machines or, in other words, there's still a minimum of about 100 million XP users today, not counting the true POSReady and related machines, which purportedly don't browse the web, so that they don't get counted by netmarketshare. :yes:
So no, not at all, we're still very far from being the last half-a-score of XP users in the world!!! :w00t:

Read also this article at ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-xp-why-it-wont-die-for-years-to-come/

LOL, a cinema using a Windows XP PC to drive its digital presentation. Who would have thought that?!
I would have thought XP was well obsolete before digital projection systems became the norm.
:lol:

Haha.  It's at one of the largest theater chains in California too.  But you can't fault them for reliability.  Even with the glitch the show started on time.

Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and find kernel32.dll. Highlight it, right click for the menu, select properties, then version. It should be  v. 5.1.2600.7248. If the number is less than that, then you've got v1.

Dencorso wrote

@glnz: Thank you very much for kindly volunteering to create and mantain at the 1st post of this thread "a compressed guide to what we're doing now"!
I have accordingly transformed you into the OP of the thread, so as to allow you to do it easily, and to modify it as many times as you feel it's warranted. Don't worry, we sure will have lots of suggestions to improve it, once you create it! Enjoy!

Can you even begin to imagine what might happen if I wrote that guide?  The disaster unleashed would make NotPetya seem like a misspelled email.  We'd end up in adjoining jail cells.  Roffen would have to come by occasionally to bring care packages with coffee beans and more questions.

17 hours ago, glnz said:

Roffen would have to come by occasionally to bring care packages with coffee beans and more questions.

And no Gauloises? In a deep dungeon, they may bring some comfort, you know... ;)

=====

Anyway, it's too late, @glnz, you're omnium consensu capax praeceptionis, there's no going back now! :no:

• 2 weeks later...