POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2017/06/petya-esque-ransomware-is-spreading-across-the-world/

...Unfortunately, unlike WannaCry, Petya has a “vaccine” that could potentially work to stop the infection, although our own tests have shown that in many cases, it doesn’t. Windows 10 systems seem to have a fighting chance by using this method but based on our tests, Windows 7 gets infected every time.....

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

13 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Apparently available only from the MS Update catalog; not (yet) via AU, WU, or MU. (But come hell or high water, we get those time zone updates!)

Also the downloaded file appears to be unsigned? Very unusual for MS....

Edited by Mathwiz

22 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Apparently available only from the MS Update catalog; not (yet) via AU, WU, or MU. (But come hell or high water, we get those time zone updates!)

Also the downloaded file appears to be unsigned? Very unusual for MS....

According to the link heinoganda provided it's only to be used if you're seeing a specific issue.

"A blank page or "404" error prints when you try to print a frame in Internet Explorer versions 9 through 11"

Microsoft also notes that it may make your network vulnerable as well and to use at your own risk.

17 hours ago, SD73 said:

According to the link heinoganda provided it's only to be used if you're seeing a specific issue.

"A blank page or "404" error prints when you try to print a frame in Internet Explorer versions 9 through 11"

Microsoft also notes that it may make your network vulnerable as well and to use at your own risk.

I did see that it was a QFE, so I guess it's not ready for general distribution yet. I'm still surprised they didn't sign it, though.

I can't see why MS would own up to releasing an update that makes your network vulnerable! Hopefully they only mean it hasn't been fully tested yet, so they can't yet say with reasonable confidence that it won't make your network vulnerable.

15 hours ago, Dave-H said:

As I almost never print from IE8 nowadays, i think I'll give that one a miss unless it's promoted to an important update!
:yes:

I agree - no need to rush to install this one. Presumably, once it's fully tested, it'll be rolled into the next cumulative IE8 update anyway.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the "Windows Update" link under the Tools menu in IE8 is now working again.
I guess MS finally fixed the redirection failure!

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I did see that it was a QFE

Since July 2013 the updates for all XP variants are only published in the QFE branch.

KB4032782 solves the problems with printing under IE8. Anyone who does not print via Internet Explorer anyway can rest assured to wait for the next cumulative update for IE8 in July 2017 where this update is introduced.
(There may be users who want to print from Internet Explorer shortly content of websites.)

37 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the "Windows Update" link under the Tools menu in IE8 is now working again.

I can confirm, but the link to Microsoft Update still does not work on the Windows Update page.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I guess MS finally fixed the redirection failure!

i noticed this as well, in windows 2000, i clicked windows update on the start menu, and it worked!

let me check...hey! it works on xp for me as well!

:D

Edited by Mr.Presario

Bersaglio - you write on June 17, "Before searching for updates:  1. If You have Office 2003 download and install manually KB3203427 and KB3203484 (see my list earlier in this topic)."  (Here's the link:  JUNE 17 POST .)

I just started looking for KB3203427 in MS Update Catalog, and it appears only for Viewer, not Office 2003 directly.  And - total crazy - when I click to read the KB article, all I get is a screen with a smiley face, on MS !!!!  No kidding !!!! 

Still install it?  Thanks.

The screen with the smiley face is because you were looking at a page on Microsoft's support site in IE8.
The pages on the MS support site no longer work at all in IE8, in fact you do sometimes get a message saying that you must use another browser, and sometimes just the emoticon with no text. There is no way around this as far as I know, you have to now use another browser for those support pages.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Dave-H - You are quite right, as always.  No smiley face in IE 11.  (Too bad!)

But the update seems to be for "Viewer".  Should I really install it for my full Office 2003 on my XP machine?

The other KBs suggested by Bersaglio as well?

Thanks.

I have just added the POSReady registry hack to a very old laptop of mine running Windows XP, with the hope of also adding it to a 2nd PC soon. However, when I went to the Windows Update page and scanned for fresh updates since 2014, the scan never completed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to solve this please?

I also read page 1 of this thread and noticed the comment about all SP4 users having to delete a certain registry key as of 8th March 2016 in order to continue receiving automatic updates from Microsoft. Could you just confirm that there is no need to delete this key if you have only added the POSReady registry hack but not the SP4 pack? I haven't deleted that key.

I have Windows Update turned on but set to notify me of updates to download and install - could that be the problem?

12 hours ago, glnz said:

I just started looking for KB3203427 in MS Update Catalog, and it appears only for Viewer, not Office 2003 directly... Still install it?

Yes. Certainly. KB3203427 is an update for usp10.dll located in \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11 (the common file shared by both full Office 2003 and Word Viewer). By the way, updates for Word Viewer (not intended for full Office 2003) have different file names, for example, office-KB3191909-FullFile-ENU.exe (without 2003) while this update called office2003-KB3203427-FullFile-ENU.exe).:yes:

21 minutes ago, conductor71 said:

However, when I went to the Windows Update page and scanned for fresh updates since 2014, the scan never completed.

Please read my last post on page 99. If You have IE8 installed You should manually install update for it before performing updates scan. Moreover if You have Office 2003/Office 2007/Office 2007 compatibility pack/Office 2010 then all updates for these products should also be installed before performing updates scan. And, finally, You should have only POSReady hack in Your registry (XP Embedded, WEPOS or WES hacks should be removed, if present).