POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

On the subject of high CPU utilization with automatic updates, as well as WU / MU with the IE8 in the process svchost.exe. After some tests, I found that this problem also occurs without POSReady key in the registry and also under the Windows XP variant "POSReady 2009". If you do not want to get more programs, like Office Compatibility Pack 2007, for Windows XP updates, the trick will work out with the current Cumulative Update for IE8. But as updates for, for example, the Office Compatibility Pack 2007 are available, even without POSReady key in the registry, the high CPU utilization is observed in the process svchost.exe. The question that is asked me is whether to the updates for the Office Compatibility Pack 2007 a failure report to MS would be possible. Although I do not have much hope, it would be worth a try. Problem since November/December 2016. Otherwise, only the current Cumulative Update for IE8 would be installed, as for the Office Compatibility Pack 2007, to download the updates via WSUS, to install manually and only now with automatic updates or with WU / MU on the IE8 to check for updates. Unfortunately, not so good news. :(

:)

Edited by heinoganda

KB4015193?  DST changes in Windows for Magallanes (Chile)?  Only Magallanes?

Today, after three years using it non-stop, I completely forgot that my Blackberry Classic uses a lock screen password that's different from the password for my office email account.  So when the email account password had to change (and I changed it), I forgot how to get in to my Blackberry.  Almost pushed my IT guy to kill me.  What am I doing keeping my XP alive if I can't remember how to tie my shoelaces?

For the problem of a forgotten login password I like to use the ERD Commander for Windows XP (Bootable) or as here http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-bypass-Windows-XP-login-passwords-from-scra. The problem with the password-protected screen saver, here is a guide http://www.mfhughes.com/writing/password_disable.htm.

To KB4015193, the change affects this region of Chile

It is off-topic, but the summer time was originally introduced because of the desire for energy saving. Meanwhile, it is said that it has little effect on the energy consumption, worse is the economy of the financial damage caused by people where only the full work performance after the change. A homemade and superfluous hostage of mankind!

Edited by heinoganda

heinoganda - thanks for map link (and look at Google Earth).  Talk about an isolated, unpopulated area !!  I get chills just looking down on it. 

There are "estancias" in the eastern arm - do you think the cattle get good WiFi?

@glnz

As far as the WiFi expansion in this area is concerned, this should be limited to the villages / cities. But a holiday to get to know the country and the people, I could imagine. Just to be a human again, without the negative influence of our civilization, where it is only about printed colored paper to satisfy a few of their avarice.

Edited by heinoganda

heinoganda - holiday in that part of Chile or along its Eastern arm at the very bottom of Argentina?  I also looked at that neighboring tip of Argentina in Street View - it's the very definition of "forlorn".  Brazil and colored paper is MUCH MUCH better.

Microsoft posted this to their Technet blog: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/04/14/protecting-customers-and-evaluating-risk/

It lists exploits known to be used by the NSA in the US, and probably by hackers everywhere; but it's not particularly clear about which updates you need. So I compiled a list for XP:

• KB958644 (for MS08-067)
  • KB2347290 (for MS10-061)
  • KB3011780 (for MS14-068)
  • KB4012598 (for MS17-010, CVE-2017-0146, and CVE-2017-0147)

MS09-050 appears to affect only Windows Server versions, so no update is needed for XP. The other four are available via Windows Update and the Update Catalog. The last two were after XP EOL but the fixes are available for POSReady '09.

Checking my own system, I found I had all updates needed except KB3011780 for some reason. So I downloaded that one via the Windows Update Catalog and installed it manually.

The relevant updates are installed on my system. I have the list, based on more recent updates, updated.

;KB958644                            10/22/2008     replaced by KB2705219!
KB2705219-v2                    10/09/2012    relevant Update!
browser.dll     5.1.2600.6260
netapi32.dll    5.1.2600.6260

KB2347290                          09/13/2010   relevant Update!
spoolsv.exe    5.1.2600.6024

;KB3011780                           11/17/2014     replaced by KB3126041!
;KB3126041                           02/08/2016     replaced by KB3161561!
KB3161561                          06/14/2016   relevant Update!
kerberos.dll    5.1.2600.7075
ksecdd.sys      5.1.2600.7075
msv1_0.dll      5.1.2600.7075
xpsp4res.dll    5.1.2600.7075
srv.sys           5.1.2600.7075

KB3198510                          11/07/2016   relevant Update!
lsasrv.dll         5.1.2600.7151
msv1_0.dll      5.1.2600.7151

KB4012598                          03/12/2017   relevant Update!
xpsp4res.dll    5.1.2600.7208
srv.sys           5.1.2600.7208

Edited by heinoganda

Well that explains why I didn't have KB3011780. I had the successor update KB3161561, so it wasn't needed.

Obviously it's best to have the latest versions of these updates, listed in heinoganda's post. But you should be protected from the named exploits as long as you have either the original updates or any of their successors.

On 25/03/2017 at 11:57 AM, Mcinwwl said:

I had to wait for more than 12 hours to see the updates. The thing is, Wu on XP has some problems with Avast! on my machine, so I have disabled all the IS programs, and this PC is used by my family members. And I needed to bail out of home at the time, hoping nothing bad will happen. But finally I got 'em all, including Office 2007 updates.

@FranceBB I think You have said you are in touch with Avast! devs and that you are aware of problems, that this software has on XP. Are they planning to fix em? I don't really expect them to do anything in favor of POSReady updates, since they are not a part of XP (officially), but Avast! turned on prevents me from scanning a document, and this is a serious issue for me. Already thinking of changing the AV solution on my PC...

I was in early 2015, not anymore: right now I don't know anyone working on it directly, especially now since they are integrating AVG components into Avast and vice-verse. Anyway, the problem is not limited to Windows Update, but it affects many other things; for instance, it affects users that are trying to download certain executables even though they are completely safe. This is basically because Avast! engine tries to detect whether a program is "malicious" or not using a component called PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs). Disabling PUP partially solves the problem, 'cause it seems that these false-positive are inside the component which looks for threats in the system. That's basically why updates might fail while running Avast!, as well as the download and/or installation of normal programs. When you disable PUP, programs installation is fine, BUT if you don't temporary disable the shield in active protection, Avast! won't even let you download executables. As far as I know, such an issue has been reported by users before and developers knew about it, since it has been around since 2016, but I don't know whether they are working on it or not. Maybe we should open a topic on the forum and reply there.

Edited by FranceBB