POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

32 minutes ago, glnz said:

Is there a way to check whether I already have that ancient KB2883042

Just start Your Excel 2003, go to its menu and choose Help->About. Then look at the first string and verify version of the product. You should have "Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (11.8412.8434) SP3". If the version of Your product is lower, this means that You still need this update (KB2883042).

Edited by Bersaglio
typo

Bersaglio - many thanks.  My Excel version is lower!  I'll try this when I get up enough courage to run the latest 11 updates.

Hey - Dave-H, you OK?  Never mind you - what about your PC?

Heinoganda - thanks for asking!  I didn't send you files because pCloud was suggesting a few things.  Unfortunately nothing worked, including trying an earlier version of pCloud.  On my XP machine, there's some conflict between my explorer.exe and pCloud, starting with its SimpleExt.dll, possibly as a new shell item.

But apparently only my XP has this problem with pCloud - nobody else.

If I find time, I'll get back into it and send you a PM.

19 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@Mathwiz

Disable Windows Update, Restart, Install Manually IE8-WindowsXP-KB4012204-x86-XXX.exe, Restart, Enable Windows Update and start Windows Update with Internet Explorer 8.

@All

Current updates for Windows XP:

WindowsXP-KB3216916-x86-DEU.exe                 03/12/2017
WindowsXP-KB4011981-x86-DEU.exe                 03/12/2017
WindowsXP-KB4012497-x86-DEU.exe                 03/12/2017
WindowsXP-KB4012583-x86-DEU.exe                 03/12/2017
WindowsXP-KB4012584-x86-DEU.exe                 03/12/2017
WindowsXP-KB4012598-x86-DEU.exe                 03/12/2017
IE8-WindowsXP-KB4012204-x86-DEU.exe          03/12/2017

Current Update for .NET Framework 4:

NDP40-KB4012355-x86.exe                                03/12/2017

:)

Doesn't work with Office 2007 installed etc.

Just have to wait it out or manually download and install each update.

When I'm done with my updaterollups, I'll do some tests in the VM and I'll look at this problem more closely. At least I have a suspicion that if various updates (even if they are now obsolete) are not registered this error occurs. A very strange behavior.

Hi, I'm having trouble with windows updates so I had to install them manually.

Searching for updates with IE8 I'm getting error: 0x800A0046

And searching updates with the command "wuauclt.exe /detectnow", after svchost at 100% of CPU for a long time, when it stops, the yellow shield icon never appears, and wuauclt.exe closes.

I like to tweak my windows xp installation a lot, and my last tweak was to move the "c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution" and "c:\windows\installer" to another drive with hardlinks pointing to them, maybe this is causing the problem, but I don't think so cause I removed everything in the SoftwareDistribution folder and running "wuauclt.exe /detectnow" again recreated everything again.

It took 75min for WU to finish finding updates in my main machine. All along this time it had 13% CPU usage, but with two cores maxed up, of the 8 apparent cores of my i7 3770k (4 w hyperthreading). And I did install manually the ie8 updateas suggested by @heinoganda... So it ought to take a long time on a less powerful machine. :(

I believe Office 2007 compatibility pack is a culprit of this problems with 100% CPU usage caused by svchost.exe. I own a very old (11-year-old) laptop with 2Gb (2*1Gb DDR2-667MHz) RAM and T7200 Core 2 Duo CPU (2.00 GHz, 4M Cache, 667 MHz FSB codename 'Merom'). I've never had problems with Windows Update (using IE6) on this laptop (2-3 minutes of updates search) with Windows XP SP3 installed on it (IE6 with latest updates until January 2016, I decided to not update browser on it). Nevertheless, I have all latest updates for POSReady on it (including .NET Frameworks 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 with latest updates). Perhaps manually installing updates for Office 2007 compatibility pack will solve these problems, I don't know exactly. In any case, the support of Microsoft Office 2007 (including Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack) ends in October 2017 (this year).

21 hours ago, Dave-H said:

It won't be shown in the Windows Update list if you installed it manually from the standalone installation file.
It should be listed in Add/Remove Programs though.
Glad to hear we've actually got some updates this month, I guess we'll never know exactly why all of last months were pulled!

Yes, it is listed in Add/Remove Programs. Thanks.

I just installed the Flash update and let the WU scan run overnight, and when I came in this AM I had a dozen updates waiting. (Some were for Office.) I installed them all and the WU scan runs fine now. I guess it must have needed another update besides the IE8 one to fix it this month.

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

Nobody reads my posts... snif!  :(

Sorry :( I'll make that up.

Anyway, you say that Silverlight more or less works despite not being supported for IE8/XP, right? Or do I miss some information from other sources?

1 hour ago, Mcinwwl said:

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/

Do I get it right, no more Silverlight updates for IE8/XP/POSReady 2009?

If so, we might need to suggest everyone to uninstall the crap?

I've been updating Silverlight for XP for a couple years now by downloading the latest Silverlight.exe offered whenever Silverlight gets security updated - it installs just fine on XP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54857

And then you have 5.1.50905

Bersaglio - I ran your special Office update KB2883042, and my Excel now shows higher version 11.8412.8405.   However, that is not QUITE as high as yours, which ends in .8434.  Why am I .0029 sub-sub-sub versions back?

Thanks.