POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

5 hours ago, bluebolt said:

I have not reinstalled KB2973115, as it appears (?) that you have.

Yes, i do not uninstall anything, just install KB2973115 "again" from standalone installer, and that solves the trouble with KB2756918.

Edited by Yellow Horror

Report from my frontline.

Searching for updates took 7 hours long, always with one core (2,45 GHz) working at full speed. What's more, I needed to do this three times, cause I forgot that Avast! can spoil the thing and some didn't get installed. However, IE8 cumulative update did got installed within first run and it has no impact on update speed.

When everything got in, checking for updates went back to reasonable few minutes, and I kept receiving infinite KB2756918. I solved the isse the same method Yellow Horror did:

5 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

Yes, i do not uninstall anything, just install KB2973115 "again" from standalone installer, and that solves the trouble with KB2756918.

However, I got some errors onto my face during uninstall process -> maybe errors in KB2973115 made the update broken?

Now I keep re-hiding Silverlight updated that I don't need any more (and that are popping up after hiding them half a year ago :/)

After all, I have everything installed or hidden.

6 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

That's precisely what I did too and kb2756918 has not reappeared after starting the machine up again this morning.

Just out of interest, I compared what .NET 3.0 SP2 updates were being shown now on my netbook compared to my main machine.

The main machine now shows (in listed order) -

KB2756918
KB2861189
KB977354
KB960043
KB3188734

The netbook now shows (in listed order) -

KB960043
KB2861189
KB3188734
KB2756918

So KB977354 is missing from the netbook, the others are the same, although the order is different.
If KB2973115 contains later replacements for the files in KB2756918, do you reckon I should install it?
As I said earlier, a fair few files on the main machine (I have no way of checking the netbook) are now earlier versions than they were before.
:unsure:

Gentlemen, thank you for the information concerning the reappearing KB2756918 update.   As suggested by by Dave-H, I ran Microsoft Baseline Security Advisor v2.3 which did report the missing update for .net version 3 (KB2756918).  Following the suggestion to reinstall KB2973115, I did in fact reinstall this update.  I then ran the MBSA once again which reported everything was secure and up to date.  Upon rebooting, no prompt to install KB2756918.    Thanks to all...........

On 12/17/2016 at 5:40 PM, Yellow Horror said:

After installing ndp30sp2-kb3188734-x86 i experience the trouble with WU continuously presenting ndp30sp2-kb2756918-x86 to install.

Reinstalling ndp30sp2-kb2973115-x86 (that replace ndp30sp2-kb2756918-x86 due to catalog.update.microsoft.com) fix it to me.

12 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

I confirm that! I just installed KB2973115 "again" from standalone installer, and kb2756918 stopped neing offered to me by MU. No reboot was required, nor did I uninstall any updates at all. In fact, I didn't even go to "Add/Remove Programs" to see what it told me, before installing KB2973115. Congratulations to all involved in finding this fix, especially to @Dave-H, for never letting down, and to @Yellow Horror, for finding the most convenient fix for it. :yes: 
You folks do rock :thumbup

Now I know the least why I was one of the few who had no problems with "NDP30SP2-KB3188734" and "NDP40-KB3189017", because "KB2973115" is included in my update rollups (corresponds to this list). Also interesting is the context from KB2973115 to KB2756918, KB2756918 has been replaced by the newer KB2973115.

:)

Indeed, but I actually had KB2973115 installed (I thought), and I still had the problem!
Anyway, to make the netbook and main machine the same, I've now uninstalled KB977354 from the main machine and (re)installed KB2973115 on it, which has replaced KB2756918 in the Add/Remove list, as expected.
Still no prompts for further updates.
That has restored six of my files back to the versions they were before.
I will do the same on the netbook.
What do we think about KB977354? I'm not being prompted to install it again.
It looks from its KB page to be a very complex update, relevant to a lot of things that are not directly .NET related as far as I can see.
:unsure:

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM, glnz said:

hmuellers - just downloaded and tried to install

exFAT file system driver (KB955704): https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=19364

but both attempts got error messages that file is corrupt.  (Yes I picked the one for XP SP3.)

EDIT - RE-DOWNLOAD SEEMS TO BE OK, BUT I STOPPED TO DO A BACKUP FIRST.

Thanks.

I hate to quote a year-old post, but the Microsoft link above no longer works.

I tried https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/955704; it looks like the exFAT driver is only available for XP x64 and Windows Server 2003.

I guess the only remaining place to get the exFAT driver for 32-bit XP is the unofficial SP4?

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I hate to quote a year-old post, but the Microsoft link above no longer works.

I tried https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/955704; it looks like the exFAT driver is only available for XP x64 and Windows Server 2003.

I guess the only remaining place to get the exFAT driver for 32-bit XP is the unofficial SP4?

It's a signed file, so it's easy to confirm it's bona-fide: WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ENU.EXE is 3,403,304 bytes long, has CRC-32 = A8F493B3 and MD-5 = F11CEB024DBAC555B1DA3BD7F1CB49CD, and has been Digitally Signed by MS on Tue, Sep 30, 2008 10:25:36 AM.

@Dclem... I downloaded the Microsoft Baseline Security advisor, but I have a few questions:

1) It asks for an ip address when I click "scan"; do I have to insert the external IP address of my computer? And what for?

2) it's working in Windows XP, but does it find POS Ready updates (thanks to the registry entry) or is it stuck with old XP updates?

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

It's a signed file, so it's easy to confirm it's bona-fide: WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ENU.EXE is 3,403,304 bytes long, has CRC-32 = A8F493B3 and MD-5 = F11CEB024DBAC555B1DA3BD7F1CB49CD, and has been Digitally Signed by MS on Tue, Sep 30, 2008 10:25:36 AM.

Thank you. I went ahead and downloaded it to a USB (old-fashioned FAT32) thumb drive. Not that there's anything wrong with USP4 (except perhaps its size), but it is nice to have the individual components as standalone downloads.

It's strange that Micro$oft removed that particular download, yet kept the others. You'd think if it was an EOS issue, they would have removed them all if they removed any.

9 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

It's strange that Micro$oft removed that particular download, yet kept the others. You'd think if it was an EOS issue, they would have removed them all if they removed any.

Never underestimate MS's ability to break something that used to work due to sheer incompetence: it seems they let go every single person able to do things right they had, and actually couldn't care less, in case they tried hard to, although I really doubt they even consider trying to care any less than they already do.

13 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@Dclem... I downloaded the Microsoft Baseline Security advisor, but I have a few questions:

1) It asks for an ip address when I click "scan"; do I have to insert the external IP address of my computer? And what for?

2) it's working in Windows XP, but does it find POS Ready updates (thanks to the registry entry) or is it stuck with old XP updates?

It's not necessary to enter an IP address.   I opened the program and clicked "scan" and it went right work.   Took about 3-4 minutes downloading data and scanning.   Results of the scan were posted for review after that.

When finished, review the findings which, in my case included POS ready updates as well.

On 11/10/2016 at 3:22 AM, heinoganda said:

KB3197835 for IIS (Internet Information Services for Webserver-, FTP-, E-Mail-, WebDAV- and Index-Service.)

Info: This component is installed and executed by POSReady 2009 by default, whereas in Windows XP Professional it is installed later and thus the update is available only with WU/MU if this component is present.)

I am as usual a bit behind on my updating... but has anyone else noticed that the KB and bulletin referenced by the summary and even by the update catalog itself no longer exist? Even tried both Wayback and Google cache, no luck on either, nor any of the other sites that usually replicate such content - does anybody know what was the issue this update addresses? Or any place to find the missing KB and/or bulletin?