POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

On 12/14/2016 at 4:34 AM, heinoganda said:

As I noted, with POSReady 2009 Entry in Registry, the Automatic Updates or in Internet Explorer 8 at WU/MU are very slow and result in the process "svchost.exe" to an extremely high processor load. To work around this issue, first disable Automatic Updates and restart your computer. Then manually download and install the latest Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 8 in the WSUS catalog. After restarting the Automatic Updates again, WU/MU under Internet Explorer 8 are again possible without problems.

Current updates for Windows XP:

WindowsXP-KB3196348-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
WindowsXP-KB3196726-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016    ! Security update for MSI 4.5, query of the existing version in the system does not exist! Make sure the MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3) is installed!
WindowsXP-KB3203884-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
WindowsXP-KB3204723-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
WindowsXP-KB3204724-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
IE8-WindowsXP-KB3203621-x86-XXX.exe        12/11/2016      incl. Hyperlink Object Library Secure Update (hlink.dll)

:)

This hasnt worked for me on several XP PCs with Office 2003/2007 - they continue to have "forever updating" with 25/50/100% CPU usage (depending on HT/corte availability)  even after installing the latest Cumulative IE monthly patch.  They simply have to be left alone for a day or three until they finish checking/downloading and the systray M/W/A Update icon appears...then....most of the time..the updates install and things normalize for a month....  This has been going on for 4 months or so now (I could manually download/install all the relevant updates..but its not worth the time/avoids the experiential data gathering).

19 hours ago, kikuk said:

@ Mathwiz

indeed...uninstall & reinstall of Net 4 does the job....KB2487367 is fine now...

Didn't work for me. Uninstalled, reinstalled, installed 7 (!) "Important" updates including KB2487367 (which was the first one), and it still wants to install KB2487368 again!

Just for snicks and giggles, i manually installed all of the XP updates for this month on two of the aforementioned XP+Office 2007-WEPOS mod+Microsoft Update configured (these are the worst/slowest when checking) PCs - "forever updating" still continues when AU and/or MU is enabled/used.

Makes no difference whatsoever.  Still chugging along in svchost.exe CPU-cycle bogland "endlessly"...

I think whats happened is an extension/variation of the problem that afflicted XP a few years ago and Vista/7 more recently, but for Office products  - they need to prune the Office Update patch tree, especially in relation to XP.  Office 2007 tends to get as many/more updates as/than XP itself in a given month, and has for a while, and i think this is causing the more recent (laqst few months) super long forever extended recursive registry botched checking svchost.exe CPU hogging.

A good test of this theory would be switching back to Windows Update (from Microsoft Update) on those XP+2007 PCs and seeing if it continues.  If i have time, i may test this later.

58 minutes ago, XPPOS2009 said:

I think whats happened is an extension/variation of the problem that afflicted XP a few years ago and Vista/7 more recently, but for Office products  - they need to prune the Office Update patch tree...

I think you may have it.

Manually installing the cumulative IE8 did not fix the “forever updating” problem on XP for me, either.  Microsoft Update on Windows 2000 Professional gave me the same problem, so I waited for the update globe to appear in the tray, and ran the three Office updates that way; afterward, MU on W2k Pro worked just fine and timely.

Edited by bluebolt

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

Didn't work for me. Uninstalled, reinstalled, installed 7 (!) "Important" updates including KB2487367 (which was the first one), and it still wants to install KB2487368 again!

OK, this is getting really frustrating. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling again, then installing only KB2487367. Still no luck! Still wants to install it again!

Could I have gotten a bad download of KB2487367? I tried going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2487367 but clicking "Download the package now" just takes me to the Microsoft Download Center with no clue where to go from there.

Most probably it's enough to hide this update after installing. Check in "Add & Delete Programs" if the update is present, if it is there's no reason to panic, because update is present and will work.

I've had similar issue with some update for Win 7 (And, as the Holy Internets say, not only me):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/kb3136000/d8f7f9d2-018b-4892-9a38-dc38baa94daf?auth=1

Friend form polish board suggested hiding it and I have no problems since then:

https://safegroup.pl/temat-problem-z-aktualizacja-kb-3136000-win-7-pro-x64_10613

OK, will try once more; if it still keeps offering the update even after I've installed it, I'll just hide it and be done with it. I've already wasted the whole day on this and life is too short to mess with nonsense like this.

Well I'm gobsmacked. The $%^@ update installed again, and now it's gone from the list! I don't even need to hide it now. Of course I've got about two dozen more updates to install now; I hope it doesn't come back at some point!

But I have another MU annoyance: My "Restore hidden updates" link is greyed out! I know I have hidden a couple of updates (Skype is one), but the only way I can see them is to hide an "Important" update, then click the banner that warns "You've hidden important updates."

Well I'm still stuck with KB2756918 wanting to install over and over again!
:angry:
I'm wondering what would happen if I switched automatic updating on, would it just keep installing over and over and over again in the background ad infinitum?!
I could just hide it of course, I'm pretty sure it isn't actually necessary and the .NET 3.0 files I have installed are newer that those in it, but that's just a workaround, not a real fix.

I’ve now tested on XP by installing the three Office updates via the yellow shield, then running Microsoft Update--it worked, no more endless scanning, and MU installed the other updates through the browser.

After the Office Updates, I did reboot both the W2k and XP machines before testing MU, so when I get a chance on another machine, I’ll try it without the reboot (the Office Updates per se don’t require a reboot, I just happened to do it).

EDIT:  No reboot required.

Edited by bluebolt

I once again played various scenarios because of the update problem and the resulting high CPU utilization of "svchost.exe". Now the fact is, that with me this problem (the system was almost no longer responding and "svchost.exe" was permanently on the CPU) was solved only by the current cumulative update of IE8. Furthermore, I have during the search (MU) partially an acute memory requirement up to 900 MB. I have tested with Office 2003, 2007 and 2010. Unfortunately, I can not understand users who still have problems, which is still going wrong here, especially since apparently other factors play a role (possibly missing updates / hotfixes, Possibly little memory and and and). Regarding the .NET Framework problem, which I after several installations unfortunately can not follow, because constantly error free. Now if you want to try it with a complete deinstallation and reinstallation of the .NET Framework or once again the complete updates to install over it, I can offer for the version 3.5 sp2 as well as 4 each an Updaterollup (multilingual) the thing accelerates.

If interest please PM.

Edited by heinoganda

Just wanted to report what's happened with my XP netbook concerning the .NET updates.
It receives the monthly patch Tuesday updates the same as my main machine, the only difference is that I have never installed on that machine any of the standalone .NET updates that have been posted here, which I have done on my main machine which now has the looping KB2756918.
The recent updates all installed fine on the netbook (eventually, it took several hours to scan for them!) including KB3189598.
I then did another scan, which was quick this time, and I'm now being prompted to install eight .NET Framework updates!
They are -

KB2861188 (.NET 4)
KB2861189 (.NET 3.0 SP2)
KB2840628 (.NET 4)
KB2789642 (.NET 4)
KB2742595 (.NET 4)
KB2756918 (.NET 3.0 SP2)
KB2737019 (.NET 4)
KB2729449 (.NET 4)

So, shall I install them all and see what happens?!
I'm very afraid that KB2756918 will then loop permanently again as it is doing on the main machine.
:unsure:

It sounds like .Net Framework 3.0 and 4 somehow got installed on your netbook, possibly as part of some other software. Also, you may only have .Net 4 Client Profile installed, not .Net 4 Extended; if so, you'll get only some of the Net 4 updates.

I'd go to Add/Remove Programs and check. If the .Net frameworks are there, that'd explain why you're being prompted to install updates.

The looping problem we've both had doesn't seem to be all that common, so it's probably OK to install the updates. If it does start looping, the easiest fix is probably just to hide the looping update, but if you have a day or two to waste, uninstalling and reinstalling the .Net framework with the looping update did seem to work for me eventually. You might also PM Heinoganda as he offered in the post before yours. His unofficial roll-up updates might save you some time vs. installing dozens of updates from scratch as I did.

For .Net 4, make sure you uninstall first Extended, then Client Profile. Even if the looping update is for Extended, I had to uninstall Client Profile and reinstall the whole shebang before the looping update finally "took." Very frustrating and time-consuming.

Finally got all the remaining Office 2007 updates installed after about an 8 hour scan yesterday afternoon-evening.

However, those PCs with Office 2007 "scan forever" problems, also experienced the continuous-reinstall problem with the .NET 4 update (KB2487367). 

Uninstalling all versions of .NET 4.x (Client/Extended) and reinstalling through MU, choosing all XP .NET updates first, and then all POS .NET updates afterwards, resulted in a "fixed" scenario.

Edited by XPPOS2009

Well I installed those eight .NET updates on my netbook, and against all my expectations, they all installed fine and I'm now being told that the system is up to date!
:thumbup
So, it obviously is possible to avoid this endlessly repeating update problem, as this and @Mathwiz's experience proves.

So, can I now fix my main machine without uninstalling and reinstalling all the .NET options?
The first thing I will do is see exactly what versions and what updates to them are installed on the netbook, then I can compare the main machine.
Watch this space!
:yes: