POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

finally to get rid of the loop 'caused by the net 2.0 updates last days.....I deinstalled the complete Netframework with the Dotnetfx-Cleanup.
Reinstalled net 3.5.1 & 4....and let the updates do the rest.... (3.5 sp1 will also install 2 & 1 as it needs it to work)

If no other more simple solution is known....this is at least the best to get out of the loop.

Edited by kikuk

That's the way to go! There is no simpler solution, unfortunately. But that one just works, and that is good enough. :)

Now, just to set the record straight: 3.5 SP1 installs 3.0 and 2.0, but not 1.x. So you have 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0. But 1.x is not needed for mostly everything, because 2.0 replaces it. So you should be quite OK! :yes:

13 hours ago, kikuk said:

If no other more simple solution is known....this is at least the best to get out of the loop.

Thanks kikuk, I’ll keep your solution in mind, I may need it.  In the meantime, on the (only) one of seven machines so far that have had this problem, I’ll simply hide those updates for now (to disable the yellow shield), and save this instance for possible later further testing.

Unfortunately I had the same issue about a year ago; after googling, the only solution was to uninstall everything via the .net cleanup utility and then reinstall them. In order to avoid to install them one by one, I made an AIO package with all of them (but then I found out that another guy already made it). Anyway, there's no other way, unfortunately. 

Happy that I don't have the loop problem.  But a few weeks ago, just before these updates, I turned off IIS in my XP machine because I was getting scary error messages.  (Thanks again for help from jaclaz, dencorso and others here.)  Maybe the .NET update loop is related to IIS on your XP machines?

Edited by glnz

Half way back in this great thread, there's a download for updating your trusted certificates.  I think provided by heinoganda. 

Just noticed the following message in Event Viewer on my XP machine, without my doing anything.  Is this the same thing?

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    crypt32
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7
Date:        7/18/2016
Time:        7:46:25 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    DELLOPTIPLEX755
Description:
Successful auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Am I getting lucky for a change?

I asked about those updates a while ago, I think everyone is still seeing them.
IIRC they are something different, not a substitute for the Root Certificates which now have to be manually updated.
:)

Dave-H and heinoganda - Thanks.  Just ran Heinoganda's Cert_Updater, but the blue window has dates that are a bit back, one of which is almost a year old.  Does this look correct?

Spoiler

* authroots.sst         04/14/2016 06:20 PM Roots     *
* delroots.sst          04/14/2016 06:20 PM Roots     *
* roots.sst             07/23/2015 07:16 PM Roots     *
* updroots.sst          04/14/2016 06:20 PM Roots     *
* disallowedcert.sst    05/24/2016 04:59 PM Revoked   *
*                 Roots  Certificates                 *
*                successfully updated!                *
*                Revoked  Certificates                *
*                successfully updated!                *
Press any key to continue . . .

Thanks.

Mine is the same except that the date on my roots.sst is one day later than yours, 24th July 2015 instead of 23rd July, but that's obviously of no significance as it's a year ago!
I don't think this is updated all that often, and we usually get a heads up message here when it happens.
I'm sure you're fine.
:yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Dave-H and dencorso - Thanks again.  I've caught up to you and still using my XP typewriter to compose more Hemingway-esque posts like this one.

I also ran the new MRT.exe quick scan.  As sometimes happens, while it was running it showed 4 errors, but at the end it said there were no bad programs on the PC.

Is anybody maintaining a list of updates that need to be installed to keep .NET up to date in XP x86?  If so, would somebody please link me to it?

If not, I have just tested a list of my own for .NET 3.5 SP1 that includes the latest POSReady .NET updates.  Once I've finished lists for .NET 2.0 SP2 and .NET 4.0 Full I'll consider creating a new thread for them., if somebody hasn't already done so.

Edited by 5eraph
Specified "XP x86." I already know about Kurt_Aust's list for XP x64.