POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

My updates ran pretty well too.  I think I counted about the same number S.N. posted above.  However, I have noticed for the last few updates that KB1393998 &
KB2862330 like to reinstall themselves even though they've been previously installed.  Has anyone else encountered that with these two?  Any suggestions for resolving it?  I have tried manually installing them and running them in safe mode, but they prompt each time new updates are discovered.

Proper (and complete) list of updates released June 14:

Windows: KB890830 (Malicious software removal tool v5.37), KB3160005 (IE8 cumulative update), KB3161561, KB3161664, KB3161949, KB3162835, KB3164033, KB3164035 (8 total).

Office 2007 Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3: KB3115111, KB3115194.

Grand total: 10 updates.

5 minutes ago, Bersaglio said:

Proper (and complete) list of updates released June 14:

Windows: KB890830 (Malicious software removal tool v5.37), KB3160005 (IE8 cumulative update), KB3161561, KB3161664, KB3161949, KB3162835, KB3164033, KB3164035 (8 total).

Office 2007 Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3: KB3115111, KB3115194.

Grand total: 10 updates.

Exactly what I got about 10 minutes ago.....All has gone well and I have been running the machine through it's paces to check that everything is running up to par

Nothing here since 11th May

Sample:

2009 (KB3153731)11. mai 2016Windows Update

Windows XP EmbeddedSecurity Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3153171)

Windows XPWindows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2016 (KB890830)

Edited by Roffen
wrong date

I installled F-secure from my cableTV-ISP the other day, and it killed all other security software like ZoneAlarm, Malwarebytes and one more that I don't remember the name of.

Can F-Secure be the culprit?

My other SP4 machine has been updated! It doesn't have F-Secure. probably not much else of fancy security software either.

I'd like to remove F-Secure but i am afraid I won't be able to reinstall it again. Will ha to check that before I try.

Edited by Roffen
New info

I normally don't see the system tray yellow shield until the Wednesday morning after Patch Tuesday, and I don't usually do anything until then.
I've just checked Microsoft Update manually, and there are ten updates there, so my system registry settings are fine.
I'll wait and see if the shield appears tomorrow morning, I have found it a sod to get rid of sometimes if you do things before it's triggered.
Even then it can go away and then reappear wanting to install a couple of updates that are already installed, and I've known it take a few days to go away properly!
:)

Well, I installed all updates from Tuesday and the PC hums along the same as before.  Nothing dramatic, no catharsis, life remains meaningless.

BUT ... there were fireworks in Central Park two evenings in a row!

I can't remember seeing the yellow submarine after updates but what the heck, [OT] the only meaning with life is what you yourself are able to wrap it in. After all, it's the only one we got. My slogan is  "You are so lonesome when you ar dead." [/OT]

Yes, AFAICT. This morning, turning of the machine that I have running 24/7 two new updates from  June 8, KB890830, KB26063  was installed. Previous install date was April 14.

On this machine I see the last 8 updates June 15, previous May 11. So this one seems to be in good health.

Looks like there is a difference that shouldn't be there. Don't think I'm going to bother with it,  the 24/7 machine is almost only used as a jukebox.

Apologies if this is off-topic, but do you think the latest POS updates in XP are now causing a clash between my Avast AV and my old useful Acrobat and PhotoShop Elements?

Here's what I just posted in the Avast forum, but maybe it's the latest round of XP updates ??

Starting yesterday, a day or so after an Avast program update, when I try to start my old Acrobat.exe or PhotoShop.exe, my computer crashes, and I get a blue screen of death (BSOD).  This continues to happen despite reboots, and also after a "Repair" of Avast in Add/Remove Programs, and then a "Modification" of Avast to turn off a lot of its unneeded features.

The screen message in each BSOD is that the cause is aswsnx.sys, an Avast file.  I also saw a special reference to that file in my mini-dumps (which are otherwise incomprehensible).

Acrobat and Photoshop open just fine (a) in Safe Mode and (b) in Normal Mode if I first Disable Avast for 10 minutes.

My PC is a good-condition Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop with Win XP SP3 32-bit, which I keep updated using the POS hack, and 4GB RAM.  (Using it now.)  My Acrobat and Photoshop Elements are from approx. 2001 - old but good programs that have been very useful for a very long time, including with my HP 8500 printer-scanner which is only a few years old.  My Acrobat and Photoshop Elements have been running without problems for years with Avast.  Yes, this model Optiplex and CPU have hardware virtualization, and Avast has been running with its own hardware virtualization on for a long time now.

The new Avast aswsnx.sys file is version 11.2.2738.0, last modified May 01, 2016, with a digital signature date of April 25, 2016.  So it's quite a new version of that file.

Avast - please fix this bad new aswsnx.sys, and let me know how to get a better version of aswsnx.sys.  Thanks.

Any thoughts?

Edited by glnz

5 hours ago, glnz said:

Apologies if this is off-topic, but do you think the latest POS updates in XP are now causing a clash between my Avast AV and my old useful Acrobat and PhotoShop Elements?

Here's what I just posted in the Avast forum, but maybe it's the latest round of XP updates ??

No, it's not. Then again, you shouldn't have updated Avast's engine without a fallback strategy. Surely, the updated Avast is the sole source of your issues. Redeploy your previous system image, prevent Avast from updating the engine once more (that is: let it just update the malware definition files) and you should be all right again. Now, if you don't have a previous system image, well... you may have a long reinstall ahead of you.