POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

@glnz

All the files should run and install exactly as they are.
It was only the very early versions of .NET that needed modified installers.
I wouldn't worry too much about abandoning XP just yet, even after we stop getting the POSReady updates you should be pretty safe as long as you have another layer of protection from a fully updated anti-malware program.

Strange you should mention seeing that terminal in a hardware store, only today I saw one of the self service tills in my local supermarket doing a disk check, and that said it was XP too. Those tills are quite new NCR units, that were installed way after XP EOS!
Of course they could be running POSReady, which may still look like XP on its on-screen dialogues.
:D

Edited by Dave-H

@glnz

At point 1, I agree with Dave-H. On the subject of future updates for .NET Framework 3.5 & 4.0, it does not look good. Especially with March Patch Tuesday (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-035) for .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 (.NET Framework 2.0 & 3.0) and the .NET Framework 4.0, a patch likely appear should have, but according to Microsoft Support Lifecycle there are no more. For this reason I am looking, how other users also, for possible downloads (links) for .NET Framework 3.5 & 4.0 updates. Make crazy I would however not when a reasonable safety concept is run on your PC. (For example, sensible firewall like Comodo, virus scanners like Avast or Qihoo, antimalware program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, alternative current web browser such as Firefox or PaleMoon and possibly Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, EMET or HPA3) A-100% security does not exist!

@Roffen

In the .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 package are the version 2.0 sp2 and 3.0 sp2 included.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Well, it's not gonna be a big deal, but still Microsoft should have been supporting at least. NET 4 a bit longer. Anyway, speaking of POS ready and embedded, when I was waiting at Victoria Station, I was queuing in front of a MC Donald and I saw one of the tills rebooting. I wasn't that close to the till, but I was close enough to recognise the "Windows XP style", which led me to think about Windows embedded. It was weird 'cause it was a definitely flat day, but in that moment I laughed. :')

heinoganda - in fact, I have all of your .NET updates already installed although a few that you list for .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 appear under the captions  ".NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2"   and   ".NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2"  in Belarc.  But all the KBs are already in.

And my XP machine has Avast AV Free and MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit Free, and I occasionally run Avast scans and normal MalwareBytes scans.  I also have Spywareblaster Free and Spybot S&D Free, and I keep them both updated for their Hosts lists.

So far, so good. 

To Dave H and FranceBB - maybe we should start a new club: XP POS Spotters.

Thanks again.

@glnz

Glad to hear that, as far as regards the .NET Framework updates, everything worked. As your security concept, which is good on any case.

A side note, I have to rid yet, the .NET Framework updates are not mine but Microsoft. Have only one list of links contributed. :rolleyes:
In my VM I have to test a POSReady 2009 Installation because I miss always spits out no money, something I do wrong. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Windows embedded for points of service (WEPOS) support ends today, sadly. :(

Another one left, two to go: Windows Embedded Standard (WES) 08/01/2019 - Windows Embedded POSReady (POSReady) 12/04/2019.

Edited by FranceBB

FranceBB - Thanks for reminder.  May we also have a reminder which Registry keys do the hack for the POS OSes that are continuing?  I only did the one key -

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Is that still the right one?

Thanks to all.

Yeah yeah, POSREady patches went with no issues. Besides, I have occurred an issue with installing Office 2007 updates, needed to run WU twice to get them correctly. Anyone had such a problem?

It didn't work for the other distro, so I think it might be better to remove it. Anyway, it can't be removed while Windows is running (neither in normal nor in safe mode). The only way to remove it is to use something like PCRegedit or something else to boot from USB. 

OK, I'll see if I'm offered any updates tomorrow (I don't usually see them until the Wednesday morning here in England) and if they're not coming through I'll see if I can delete the key using Windows 8.1 as I have a multi-boot system.