POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Bluebolt - your fix is working on my XP machine! 

I created a new system restore point, immediately restored to that point, rebooted, and no more error messages.

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out why I had a some errors showing up in my event logs.

Man, what a crazy coincidence:  I used the System Restore trick just today on another machine that had odd Event Viewer “errors” at every startup, which I was pretty sure weren’t real errors--and it worked!  No more Event Viewer errors every time I boot up the machine.

I was even thinking about starting a new thread about “Using System Restore to Remove Event Viewer Errors” except…

I still have no idea how / why this works.

I noticed the comments in the thread on RyanVM are not available anymore. I had some remarks about the latest certificate changes added by Microsoft[...]

@Acheron

Today I had to change the links in my posts to the contribution in RyanVM Forum, because the origional contribution was no longer available. Apparently there were problems.

The original thread seems to have been corrupted somehow, giving visitors an error 500 (Internal Server Error) when trying to access it. The thread was temporarily replaced and all comments were moved pending a fix. RyanVM fixed the issue and the original thread has been restored with all comments.

Edited by 5eraph

Also the IE6 version of KB3124275 is availble at the MS Update Catalog, and it has inside the latest (and presumably also last) versions of browseui.dll and shdocvw.dll (v. 6.0.2900.6985)... true, IE8 doesn't need those, but explorer.exe uses them.  :w00t:

As predicted, KB3134814 came out in just two versions: IE7 and IE8. So, as of today, IE6 has actrualy become truly EoS. :(

In total, this Patch Tuesday brought 11 patches, with no reported issues.

BTW, Windows Embedded for Point of Service (WEPOS) SP3, Extended Support will end on April 12, 2016...

That should be the date the last files intended for IE7 may be released. After that, it too becomes EoS.

I don't think many people will be mourning the final demise of IE6, a browser without even tabs!

Such a shame that some versions of Windows use its files so much for other purposes, like Windows Explorer.

:lol:

Anyway, all today's offerings have been installed on my system with no apparent problems.

I noticed that some files dating from 2008 have been updated!

:)

Another possibility is that Internet Explorer 6 is not affected, or that an update for Internet Explorer 6 will be made available later.

No way! Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 3 (SP3), Extended Support ended on Jan. 12, 2016... it was the very last MS product which support was keeping them creating IE6 updates. There must have been a party at Redmond on that day, for the wake o IE6! :P

@all: this thread is getting heavy. We're on post #888, already! I'd like to close this thread by #999 or1000.

Of course, I'll open a new thread for continuing the discussions, as this is an ongoing matter, but keeping threads not too heavy is advised. So, please, do spend some moments reflecting on what title should be given to the new thread, when opened. I think the same title followed by (Part II) is somewhat poor, albeit quite precise. Please advise. There's some time till 1000, so there's no hurry, but I really want to avoid doing it by surprise and thence causing unwanted reactions, OK?

I can see your concern Den.

This thread will potentially be important for another three years!

I also use Digital Spy forums, and they seem happy to let threads get up to many thousands of posts, but I can see why this might be a problem.

They do split threads sometimes, but they do tend to just keep the original tile appended with "(Part 2)" or "(Part 3)" which is a bit boring!

I don't really know that would be better I'm afraid, to keep that link with the original(s).

I would recommend splitting the topic into three or more parts: DotNET, EMET, POS, and possibly "Certificate Update" discussions. Can't tell you how many times I've checked the thread for updates on the latter two and received chatter on only the former two. ;)

Edited by 5eraph

I agree as well that the update thread should get split. The EMET / MBAE security discussion should be moved a new topic.

I agree with this.

When I got involved in the long discussion about the various versions of EMET and how to install and configure them on XP, mainly with @heinoganda, who has been incredibly helpful to me with this, I quickly realised that we were getting very off-topic!

It did seem relevant at the start as EMET was one of the recommended applications to install to maintain XP security, but the posts about it took over for a while.

This thread should only be about getting official updates from Microsoft for our XP systems, using the POSReady and Embedded updates, and any problems with them.

dencorso - in your continuation of THIS thread about POS and other security updates for XP, maybe start it with the very useful summary of all steps that you posted above at this link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?p=1115639

That one summarizes everything and was very useful for my catch-up six weeks ago.

Also ask you edit it from time to time to add new lines.

Many thanks.

Well, gang, no one has posted any warnings about this past Tuesday's updates.  All OK? 

(Although I suppose if anyone's XP machine had exploded with gears and watch-springs flying everywhere, he wouldn't be able to post.)