POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Did anyone test Silverlight 5+ on XP? It gets installed, but is officially unsupported for XP and I can't think of many things that needs it (probably videos on Microsoft Virtual Academy and they ain't working on XP with Firefox, Chrome needed).

I've got the latest Silverlight (5.1.41212.0) installed here on XP and working fine.

You can't use Silverlight on Chrome (or any other Chromium-based browser) now as it no longer supports it (or QuickTime and other Netscape plugins.)

You have to use Firefox (32 bit only) or Internet Explorer.

I suspect Silverlight's days are numbered......

:)

roytam - as I removed .NET 1.0 and 1.1 on advice here and haven't yet seen a problem, what types of programs need it?  Could you give some common examples?

I have Office 2003, Outlook Express 6, very old Acrobat 5, and very old Adobe Photoshop 1.0.1.  (The others are unimportant and seem to run anyway, like imgburn.)

Alpha2 & RinGOch. I don't know how common it is but at least I use it.

Dave-H -- How did you install that latest version of Silverlight?  I get an "installation failed" message and a link to a page that says:

Message ID: generic

You reached this page since you encountered problems with the installation of Microsoft Silverlight. In many cases these problems are due to incompatible browser and operating system or due to an old pre-release version of Silverlight. Please follow the Uninstall Instructions to remove any previous versions from your system and then visit the Silverlight Web site and install the latest version.

And, yes, I had uninstalled first from Add-Remove Programs.

Not so important - I don't care so much about Silverlight, but I was curious about that Virtual Microsoft Academy mentioned above.  How else will I ever catch up to you guys?

Tried any non-browser Silverlight program? They are told to be supported, bu I know none...

No, I've only used it in a web browser to play video on demand.

I don't think I have any programs that use it normally.

Dave-H -- How did you install that latest version of Silverlight?  I get an "installation failed" message and a link to a page that says:

Message ID: generic

You reached this page since you encountered problems with the installation of Microsoft Silverlight. In many cases these problems are due to incompatible browser and operating system or due to an old pre-release version of Silverlight. Please follow the Uninstall Instructions to remove any previous versions from your system and then visit the Silverlight Web site and install the latest version.

And, yes, I had uninstalled first from Add-Remove Programs.

Not so important - I don't care so much about Silverlight, but I was curious about that Virtual Microsoft Academy mentioned above.  How else will I ever catch up to you guys?

Strange, even once Silverlight stopped being offered through Microsoft Update on Windows XP machines, a manually downloaded and installed latest version has always worked for me. I don't usually bother uninstalling the previous version, but this last time I did. It still installed fine with no warning or error messages.

dencorso and Dave-H - no luck.  My aristocratic Dell Optiplex 755 XP continues to turn up its nose at this bounder of a program.  "Silverlight" - sounds like a disco queen.

Yes - the 32-bit installer "41212.00\Silverlight.exe", not the 64-bit.  I even "Unblocked" it in the install .exe file's Properties.  And put in an Exception for my Avast AV.  Should I try to install in Safe Mode?  I think it won't help, as my XP has been rejecting the latest Silverlights for some months now.  And reminder I no longer have .NET 1 or 1.1.

Have you hinted yet at a rapprochement with hmuellers?  I know it's hard to make those types of outreach - but that's why they invented the UN.  Should I drop a line to Ban Ki-moon?

I'm pretty sure it won't install in Safe Mode anyway, as it uses the Windows Installer, which won't work in Safe Mode IIRC.

Do you still have the installer for the last version that did work? If so you could try installing that again and then installing the new version over it.

Have a look in your (hidden) Windows\Installer folder and see if there is a .msi file for Silverlight still there (a popup should tell you what program it's for if you hover the cursor on the files), if so try uninstalling from its right-click menu.

If that doesn't work, try the file's repair option first. Also if you have the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up utility, see if Silverlight is still listed. If it is remove it using the Clean Up utility, which should remove any installer files and clean the registry entries. Then try the install again.

Half the updates Fail and I have to retry.  Maybe I also have to suspend Avast for the 10 mins or so - not entirely clear.

It is Avast-related issue. I suspect that Avast executable-checking routine interferes with MS updates self-checking routine. In many cases it is enough to run the update executable once more, but some updates (probably the biggest ones like IE cumulative updates) fail to install constantly until the Avast filesystem protection is suspended. I report the trouble to Avast tech support some time ago, never get any answer.

Edited by Yellow Horror

@pao8804

KB3921674, which there is not yet. Please check again, maybe swapped a number.

Because of the error in KB3072630 please read the following article.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?p=1102863

thank you for KB3072630 now i have understand .. all ok ..

KB3021674 sorry is error userinit usercazz userprofile .. i have hidden.

thank for the news update framework ..

in "Services" framework C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorsvw.exe go in automatic (if disable ) whit update framework and big problem when you start xp, indeed for 5 minutes do not show user names in the task manager. so the start is slow .. .. I recommend to manual or disables no in automatic the Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86 services and net 2 in manual

if I removed .NET 1.0 and 1.1 whit cleanup_tool at me not function framework 3.5  . boh

Edited by pao8804

• 2 weeks later...

:( Just updated Pale Moon browser to versión 26 and get the message:

Unsupported operating system.

They decided to block Pale Moon on Posready 2009: :angry:

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10830
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10829
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10831

Note by dencorso on Feb 02, 2016:

This issue is currently solved, but discussions related to it now have their own thread.

Bluebolt - your fix is working on my XP machine! 

I created a new system restore point, immediately restored to that point, rebooted, and no more error messages.  Two or three reboots now.

The odd temp folders in Documents and Settings are gone.

The folders LocalService and NetworkService in Documents and Settings are showing a "Date Modified" time of my first successful reboot just now.  (I recall they were stuck on a January date before.)

The only odd thing is that in System Properties - Advanced - User Profiles - Settings, there are still five "Account Unknown"s last modified 6-23-15, each with a size of 20.4MB.  (My own profile is 2.86GB, last modified today.)  Should I try deleting those "Account Unknown"s?  (Where are they on C:\ drive anyway?)

Of course, this just might be only cosmetic - what do I know?  Is there a deeper level I should check?

Thanks!

[PS - for some reason, after May 27, I no longer get email alerts whenever someone posts here.  But my profile on this forum is to get those alerts.  What happened?]

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out why I had a some errors showing up in my event logs.  I ASSumed it was because in my never ending cause to eliminate Services I don't need I disabled something I shouldn't have.  Since my machine is primarily for sending out emails once a month and not much more I've tried to secure it as best I could by eliminating as many extraneous things I could.  So after a lot or researching why I was getting 1502, 1508, 1511, and 1515 all related to Temp Profiles I ended up back here.  The place I should have started as I would have saved a few hours of troubleshooting.  Thank you GLNZ for asking this question.  I never would have thought of posting it here.  And thank you Bluebolt for your answer!  This issue has been around for over a decade and I tried many of the solutions posted with not luck at all.  Your's worked like a charm.  It was simple as pie too!  And now my Task Manager shows just 26 Service running.  The O/S on my old machine seems as speedy as a new machine.

Thanks guys for such a fantastic forum!  

Edited by SD73