POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

@hmuellers

For .NET Framework replaced Updates:

NDP30SP2-KB3048073-v2-x86  replaced by NDP30SP2-KB3072308-x86
NDP40-KB2979575-v2-x86 replaced by NDP40-KB3097994-x86
NDP40-KB3072309-x86 replaced by NDP40-KB3099866-x86

:)

So if I have the installers for all six of these archived, I can safely delete and forget about the three that are listed as having been replaced?

hmuellers - just downloaded and tried to install 

exFAT file system driver (KB955704): https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=19364

but both attempts got error messages that file is corrupt.  (Yes I picked the one for XP SP3.)

EDIT - RE-DOWNLOAD SEEMS TO BE OK, BUT I STOPPED TO DO A BACKUP FIRST.

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

glnz, I just did that myself.  No problems on my end.  

However, I can't locate NDP30SP2-KB3072308-x86 to install. I did locate the other two updates heinoganda mentions and they installed fine.  

The message is telling you the truth: the connection is really non-secured (nor does it need to be secure).

The problem is you are using "https" instead of "http" !!!

If you see that message again, on trying the links below, is because your browser is adding the final "s" on the "http" address. Highlight just that "s", delete it and hit enter, and the file ought to download OK. :yes:

NDP20SP2-KB3074546-x86_B00E38544466254F6C7314127D2F658078C9D53A.exe

NDP30SP2-KB3072308-x86_DF948B25BC71432E5CADE81A55E0840A833B8BDC.exe

I've redownloaded it from the link in the quote above right now, and the downloaded file is identical to the one I already had in my records. Please do try again, and make sure to use http, not https... sometimes the browser changes it without telling you, so you have to change it back explicitly, and only then it'll accept http.

Simply put the updates NDP30SP2-KB3048073-v2-x86NDP40-KB2979575-v2-x86, NDP40-KB3048074-x86 and NDP40-KB3072309-x86 are no longer needed, they are superfluous. About why the older updates are unnecessary, should simply look for the latest updates from Microsoft on the support side and the replaced Updates are listed under "Update replacement information". This is the same as I would for a new installation, install all updates for Internet Explorer 8 since it was released, although currently only two are needed for this (KB2598845 and KB3104002). This topic has also been discussed here in the thread.

Here's a comparison of NDP40-KB3072309-x86 and NDP40-KB3099866-x86:

gustnetfr.jpg

@hmuellers

Just a note, if it would be here all the users just do not care, this thread would be empty.

Edited by heinoganda

Thanks for the links, explanations, and updates guys.  This is really the goto place!  One thing that continues to concern me going forward is keeping up with what patches I've already applied and those I need too.  I haven't kept them so when a new one is brought up that needs applying and as the years progress I'm afraid I may miss some of these if I don't get to the board regularly.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to easily know if we're up to date with the software that doesn't get automatically updated?  

hmuellers instructions for starting off now are fantastic.  I think anyone coming on board could easily secure their machine with little doubt as to what they need to do.  But the casual user would probably have issues going forward in keeping their PC's secure.

On a side note, how does one browse the Microsoft repository of newly available patches that are shown for download in the links above?  I was not even able to find the NDP30SP2-KB3072308-x86 while searching to download that one prior to dencorso's posting it.

Thanks guys!

Just download the newly attached text file and save it somewhere. When you visit again in a year, you can download the latest file and compare this with your old copy and then you'll see what has changed.

Edited by dencorso
Content recovered.

Seems like hmuellers spared me hours of writing and searching, since he knew what I suggested I'll write about and. Many thanks for summing everything up, this should be added to the first topic's post :D

Still, few things remained unclear to me. Sorry for being DB and asking same things again, but I'd love to be sure and secure:

- How about this timezones updates, mentioned in topics early posts? Do I need to do anything more?
- No need to install .NET 3.5 updates If I have everything from your list?
- And this .NET 1.1 case. Of course I don't have to use it and I can (and probably should :P) uninstall it, but I want to apply the patches. Just a case of ambition, want to finish what I've started, but yet I'm not sure whether I understand it correctly. harkaz's method is ok or am I wrong?

I also think adding info about installing newest Silverlight might be worth, since it was being covered by Wu and now it's not.

and last but not least, my explorer works fine after shutting down Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, so no update bug but software conflict.

Mcinwwl, I don't think it would be a bad idea to have the info repeated somewhere else with a curated area telling visitors of what the most recent updates are so they could easily keep up and download them as need be.  Then the advanced, and slightly advanced users here could act as a test-forum for new patches as they're released and if there are no issues you could update your blog with safe patches and suggestions that we come up with here as we go along. There are a ton of great tips for securing the XP operatng system along with great free software to keep it safe in light of Microsoft's abandoning the product.

Regarding .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, as far as I know there are no compatible patches. It is installed automatically when you update Windows XP (important and optional updates), so I don't know whether you can safely remove it.

Please note that this is my personal XP update list. It has been tailored to my needs and I don't want to put too much effort into fitting it to other people. So there will be no Silverlight and .NET Framework 1.1 updates listed.

Btw, you should also consider installing Microsoft's EMET tool. I have added a link for that.

Edited by dencorso
Content recovered.