POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Today I had to find the WindowsXP-KB3077715-x86-XXX.exe 09/07/2015 (Cumulative Time Zone Update) is no longer available! Apparently the update has been withdrawn.

Released Updates on 09/08/2015:

NDP40-KB3074547-x86.exe               09/04/2015

WindowsXP-KB3087038-x86-XXX.exe       09/04/2015  (cumulativ)

IE7-WindowsXP-KB3087038-x86-XXX.exe   09/04/2015  (cumulativ)

IE8-WindowsXP-KB3087038-x86-XXX.exe   09/04/2015  (cumulativ)

WindowsXP-KB3077715-x86-XXX.exe       09/05/2015  (rereleased)

WindowsXP-KB3087039-x86-XXX.exe       09/05/2015

Finally, lacking a security update for the .NET Framework 2!  :angry: 

:)

Edited by heinoganda

I just tried logging onto https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx--

Last month, the catalog home page offered a search box, where I could enter "XP Embedded" which then returned a table which could be sorted by date, etc.

Now, I get a blank screen -- edit -- meaning I get a Microsoft Update Catalog page with no search box or link or anything -- screenshot below

my IE8 that is wide open (I use it only for MS) -- it wants to install something called Update Catalog (which for all I know might be free MS-10 Pentagon-NSA spyware system makeover, or whatever ...)

It never did that before ...

Has anybody else had this experience? MS gives me no information on what it wants to install ...

post-79406-0-30044900-1441941762_thumb.p

Edited by Molecule

Thanks for providing the download link, but can you tell us how do you get these update links for .NET?

After investigation I also found .NET 2.0 needs an update, but KB3074541 is only available for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 right now.

Edited by Acheron

Thanks for providing the download link, but can you tell us how do you get these update links for .NET?

After investigation I also found .NET 2.0 needs an update, but KB3074541 is only available for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 right now.

From here. The main thing is to know proper number of security bulletin. I learned it when updating Windows 7 on another computer.

P.S. Yes, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 also needs updating but there are no XP Compatible Updates released for it. :-(

Edited by Bersaglio

@glnz

Thanks for asking, I'm fine, and the Windows XP updates is up on an update for the .NET Framework 20 all right.

@Molecule

It happens that the WSUS page on strike every now and then. Just try more times.

post-402904-0-41413400-1442016475_thumb.

@Bersaglio & @Acheron

With regard to the Microsoft Security MS15-101 Bullitins you get here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3089662) even more information which versions are affected by the .NET Framework.

post-402904-0-66840300-1442016550_thumb.

:)
Edited by heinoganda

@heinoganda and atari -- re WSUS page -- solved -- to replicate the request by MS to install some kind of new program for the catalog update page, I found out I had to log on as administrative user -- only then does MS ask to install the new program, after which the catalog update page returns the needed search box. Logon as Admin -- fixed. If I loged on as usual limited user, it gives WSUS screen without search box ... (yea ok it's stupid, but I'm still graduating from win98se, so I figured eventually I had to figure out what this new limited users thing was all about ... then I got used to it and kind of like it ... of course any competent hacker walks right past the imaginary protections ...)

there are lots of people here and on ryanvm who would like to try to help skrell, but he refuses to provide the list of files (POS Ready and other) that he has been feeding into DXUPAC to create his failed addon, and of course the OS environment that he is using to run DXUPAC. The mods to DXUPAC to create an addon are very simple, and it would take only a few minutes to replicate (or not) the problem that he claims to be observing, but he refuses to provide the list of files that has been causing his problem. So far it seems there are no rogue POS Ready files, and DXUPAC continutes to work reliably in an XP pro with post-SP3 AIO update (with integration there is no need for XP Pro to spoof XP Embedded ...)

Edited by Molecule

@bersaglio -- how do we determine which .NETs are applicable to XP Embedded? I looked at the link you gave -- https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms15-101-- but the MS lists only updates for Vista SP2, Win7, etc, but none for XP Embedded. Once you have the KB, and go to the KB page, some of them have an MD5 hash for XP Embedded, but I didn't see any links ... On the MS15-xxx bulletin page, there are also updates for different .NETs, 2 and 4 in this case, cross referenced for different security issues. Do you review each KB in detail, and see which ones have a hash value for XP Embedded -- but then where do we find the link for XP Embedded, or do you just use the .NET update for Vista or Win7 and run it in XP? Maybe if that's the way .NETs were setup it would work.

just wondering ... thanks

Edited by Molecule

@Molecule -- Windows XP, not XP Embedded. You won't need registry hacks to install .NET Framework 2.0+ updates on XP.
It is not very easy (because Microsoft support policy is very confusing) but I will try to explain.
First, You only need to analyze Vista x86 updates section. Skip all that concerns 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and Servers. Skip X64 and IA64 too.
Second, Let's see what .NET Framework releases are still supported nowadays:

.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 support has ended in July 2015 (with Widows Server 2003). There will be no more updates for it.

.NET Framework 2.0 SP2 will be supported until April 2016 (but sadly after Windows Server 2003 support has ended in July only .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 for Vista and Server 2008 are supported). Looks like there will be no more XP compatible updates for it. :-( But... there may of course be exceptions...

.NET Framework 3.0 SP2 support has ended (same as .NET 1.1 SP1). In some cases, updates will continue to be released for .NET 3.0 SP2 as part of .NET 3.5 SP1 until the corresponding operating systems (which contains .NET 3.5 SP1 as an integral part) are supported. Will there be more XP compatible updates for it? It is unknown. In any case, these updates cannot be found on the security bulletin's pages. We have to analyze hashes and filenames on support's page.

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 will be supported until the end of operating system's support (which contains .NET 3.5 SP1 as an integral part). On practice this means that we are unlikely to see XP compatible updates for it someday. :-( But again there may of course be exceptions.

.NET Framework 4 will be supported until January 2016. If more updates will come for it all x86 revisions of these updates will be XP compatible. Links can be found on bulletin's pages.

Other .NET Framework releases are incompatible with XP.

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive analysis, Bersaglio. You do rock! :thumbup

So, in short: .NET Framework 4 updates for XP are possible up to January 2016. All other versions are not likely to have any more official updates. And it's not clear whether updates intended for Vista can be converted into unofficial updates for XP, but most likely they are not.

As I stated last month ... I have not been installing the POSReady 2009 updates at this time.

Just to confirm with others that there were only two MS Office 2007 updates for XP in September.

I have Office 2000 installed and these two MS Office 2007 updates were shown when I ran the MS XP update check.

MS Office 2007 Updates

09/08/2015

01 Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB3085546)

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office 2007 suites  that could allow

arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves

that vulnerability.

02 Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3054993)

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3

that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a question about which updates to install first ... I always download the updates first to save in a folder and then I install the updates myself.

I usually install the updates in numerical order ... lower KB numbers first to the higher KB numbers last ... but this isn't always the way they appear at the MS XP update listing. The updates can sometimes be in any order.

As you can see above ... the 02 KB number is lower and I would usually install this update first and then the 01 KB number would be installed last.

Is there any difference to which order the monthly updates are installed? I've always been curious about this.