POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

My bravery level varies with the age and expense of my computer, and the value of what I have on it...

So I bravely downloaded and installed all of today's available POS updates on an older, inexpensive test machine.  Everything's jake so far, no problems, at least with the basic function and look of the computer.

With July Patchday update "KB3072630" was delivered for Microsoft Installer 4.5, which does not query the existing version exists to patch files. Windows XP SP3 has been normally Microsoft Installer 3.1, which means the following files under "%windir%\system32" msi.dll to version 4.5.6002.23731, msiexec.exe to version 4.5.6002.23731 and msihnd.dll to version 4.5.6002.23415 updated, If Microsoft Installer 4.5 Redist "KB942288-v3" is already installed, there are no problems. However, if are in "%windir%\system32" which files msimsg.dll and Msisip.dll identify only version 3.1, you should Microsoft Installer 4.5 Redist "KB942288-v3" install so that there is no malfunction of the Microsoft Installer.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

heinoganda and dencorso - all seems OK.

There was one glitch - the new (July) Malicious Software Removal Tool (mrt.exe) wouldn't install from Windows Update - kept failing.  So I downloaded the file from WSUS (I think) and installed it in Safeboot.  Then, while still in safeboot, its quickscan stopped at tcpip.sys with an error message, but when I rebooted normally, its quickscan ran all the way.

Anyone else have a problem installing the July Malicious Software Removal Tool?

PS - Still not getting those six error messages per posts above - certainly happy about that.

Thanks.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool worked fine for me. It took ages, but it always does!

There was another out of sequence update today, KB3079904, which is to do with a security problem in a font driver.

:)