POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I’ve now followed up on the suggestions made here.

@w2k4eva, I think your implications--as I read them, that (1) this is probably not simply a Dell problem, and (2) these 1904 informations may just have been generated by having opened Help files--both appear to be spot-on.

I was able to check Event Viewer on my parents’ computer this evening (Acer Atom with Windows XP Home, POS registry fix applied, all updates installed).  There I found the same six Error listings as my Dell machines, confirming that it is not merely a Dell-related problem.

(Plus, my “3000” Dell is actually a “3000n,” and my “E520” Dell is actually an “E520n,” meaning I ordered these without an operating system.  I have Windows XP Pro installed on each, so they don’t even have the Dell “factory install image”).

I don’t know of any negative consequences to these Errors, but it is interesting, especially whatever happened on that one Dell machine after 4/8/2015 that eliminated the six Errors:

Okay, so whatever it was must have been after 4/8/2015 10:57:43 but before your next boot...

So that’s what I’ll be thinking about.

[other related information:  these machines all have AVG (not Avast), and all are run in administrator mode (no other users or accounts added)]

Edited by bluebolt

Another update would be the Time Zone update ... but KB3049874 (TimeZones released 27 Mar) seems to be only for: Daylight saving time changes for Mexico, Mongolia, and Iran in Windows.

So I wouldn't probably need that update for now but if a new Time Zone update would appear for my area, could it just be installed right into Windows XP and would it actually install and work?

Can the update be changed in someway to be correctly added?

Time zone updates are cumulative; you need only install the latest to be up to date. The latest to be released by Microsoft so far is KB3062741-v2 on 19 June.

w2k4eva is correct concerning package installation:

Unfortunately MS has put blocking code into the time zone updates issued post-EOL. So this leaves you with three choices if you want them.

1) Look through the KB articles to find what was added, then adjust your time zones manually. Or copy the relevant registry entries, possibly from a newer machine that has the update installed... rather a pain.

2) Use the POSReady registry hack, then get the POSReady version of the update either from Windows Update or the Update Catalog. But be aware that this path is something of a one-way street - once the reghack is applied, you probably won't be able to reverse it from within Windows, you would need an offline registry editor.

3) Modify the updates to work on plain XP. This is the path I am using. Instructions can be found at http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115464#115464 . I generally start from the WEPOS version rather than the W2K3 ones, although for timezone updates that are basically just regkeys the difference may not matter. Do be aware that the resulting update won't have the usual sanity checks about versions etc so you must be selective about finding a suitable source file and how it is applied - you wouldn't want to have an IE7 update applied to a system that has either IE6 or IE8, for example.

I found out how to get rid of the six recurring Errors in Event Viewer.

Okay, so whatever it was must have been after 4/8/2015 10:57:43 but before your next boot...

Poking around the Dell XPS (the machine the Errors mysteriously vanished from on 4/8/2015), I noticed that I had run a “System Restore” at 10:52:57 A.M., which I do vaguely remember, as I hadn’t used that function on any computer in at least a couple of years:

post-375408-0-74302200-1436031945_thumb.

So I proceeded to test for solution on the two Dell machines that still had the six Event Viewer Error listings.  I simply ran System Restore to the nearest point (July 1st) on the Dell E520, and it worked!  I restarted the computer a few times, and the Errors are gone.  I then did a full shutdown, came back later and pushed the power button, let the desktop settle in, and the “fix” remained, as can be seen here:

post-375408-0-57719200-1436032013_thumb.

Then I tested  the “System Restore” fix on the Dell 3000, restarted the computer a couple of times, and again the Event Viewer Errors have been eliminated.

When I’m next at my parents’ place, I will test the fix on their Acer computer as well, and report back with results.

Again, apparently all that has to be done to eliminate the Event Viewer Errors is to run a System Restore.

@glnz, if you try this on your computers, could you please post your results here?  Having delved into this thing for no apparent reason, I’m curious to find out if this works for anyone else.

I don't get it. How does System Restore "fix" it (except to "back out" HDD/OS changes)?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/306084

So, are the "problem updates" still installed? I can't see how if Restore Point backed it/them out?

You got me, submix8c, I don't see any sense in it either.  I don’t think the restorations had any affect on the updates; the E520 and 3000 computers already had all POS updates installed from June, and I used the shortest rollback available.  For instance, I only restored the E520 back to the first of July, just three days ago.  Literally the only updates “undone” by the restorations would be AVG, which I re-updated after the restorations with no ill effects.

It seems that the act of running System Restore is per se the solution.  Unfathomable, as yet.

Okay, I just tried the "System Restore" fix on my parents' Acer XP Home computer, and it worked again.

I did it a little differently this time:  I first set the restore point manually, then immediately--without so much as a reboot--ran System Restore back to that point.  In other words, I basically just restored the existing system set.

Once again, this exercise alone was enough to eliminate the Event Viewer errors.  The fix again has survived multiple restarts.

Bluebolt - your fix is working on my XP machine! 

I created a new system restore point, immediately restored to that point, rebooted, and no more error messages.  Two or three reboots now.

The odd temp folders in Documents and Settings are gone.

The folders LocalService and NetworkService in Documents and Settings are showing a "Date Modified" time of my first successful reboot just now.  (I recall they were stuck on a January date before.)

The only odd thing is that in System Properties - Advanced - User Profiles - Settings, there are still five "Account Unknown"s last modified 6-23-15, each with a size of 20.4MB.  (My own profile is 2.86GB, last modified today.)  Should I try deleting those "Account Unknown"s?  (Where are they on C:\ drive anyway?)

Of course, this just might be only cosmetic - what do I know?  Is there a deeper level I should check?

Thanks!

[PS - for some reason, after May 27, I no longer get email alerts whenever someone posts here.  But my profile on this forum is to get those alerts.  What happened?]

[PS - for some reason, after May 27, I no longer get email alerts whenever someone posts here.  But my profile on this forum is to get those alerts.  What happened?]

It is a generic board issue that is recurring and that was fixed and broken and re-fixed and re-broken n times lately, it doesn't affect only you, but the real causes (and correspondent remedies if any) seem like not having being pinned down yet :(.

Check this (where you should have posted about the issue):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163472-ipb-update-july-2013-to-version-345-bugs-only/

starting from around page 10:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163472-ipb-update-july-2013-to-version-345-bugs-only/page-10

jaclaz

jaclaz - noted, thanks and again please accept my appreciation for your superb forum and your knowledgeable contributors.  Just as an example, this is the only thread anywhere that deals intelligently with the POS 2009 updates for XP - nowhere else.

That's why I don't want to miss anything!!

Edited by glnz

Okay, I just tried the "System Restore" fix on my parents' Acer XP Home computer, and it worked again.

I did it a little differently this time:  I first set the restore point manually, then immediately--without so much as a reboot--ran System Restore back to that point.  In other words, I basically just restored the existing system set.

Once again, this exercise alone was enough to eliminate the Event Viewer errors.  The fix again has survived multiple restarts.

Gosh, I wonder if this means system restore does something to file/folder/regkey owners or permissions?

Just curious, on the machines that did not have this issue, by any chance were the drives formatted as FAT32 rather than NTFS? Or were the profiles not owned by the Administrators group?

The odd temp folders in Documents and Settings are gone.

The folders LocalService and NetworkService in Documents and Settings are showing a "Date Modified" time of my first successful reboot just now.  (I recall they were stuck on a January date before.)

The only odd thing is that in System Properties - Advanced - User Profiles - Settings, there are still five "Account Unknown"s last modified 6-23-15, each with a size of 20.4MB.  (My own profile is 2.86GB, last modified today.)  Should I try deleting those "Account Unknown"s?  (Where are they on C:\ drive anyway?)

Of course, this just might be only cosmetic - what do I know?  Is there a deeper level I should check?

The date modified is updated since the services now have access to their profiles again, which is why the temp profile folders cleared up. I'm guessing the code that does this cleanup may not have cleaned up the regkeys described in KB947215.

The regkeys normally would have a value ProfileImagePath that points to the location on disk for the profiles. The snip you posted had these pointing to the no-longer-existing folders before, do they still point there?

Do the regkeys still look like the snip you posted earlier? Also do the file/folder owners and permissions look the same as before?

@bluebolt - You didn't say whether you had looked at any file or folder ownership or permissions, or at the regkeys glnz posted, but if you had looked before your system restore - have they changed since then?

w2k4eva - First, I have attached a .txt file with info from the regkeys WITH NOTES I inserted manually with ► or ►►.  Some of the regkeys are me, the second user on my PC, and other known user profiles, but there is not a one-for-one correspondence between the "extra" regkeys and the five "Account Unknowns".

Second, in C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService, right-click - Properties - Security shows that Administrators, LOCAL SERVICE and SYSTEM have Full Control

and in C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService, the same thing shows that Administrators, NETWORK SERVICE and SYSTEM have Full Control

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Copy of Profile List 7-12-15.txt

Edited by glnz

Just curious, on the machines that did not have this issue, by any chance were the drives formatted as FAT32 rather than NTFS? Or were the profiles not owned by the Administrators group?

All the drives were formatted NTFS, all machines administrator only.  Sorry, I didn't check out the permissions or the regkeys.

w2k4eva - First, I have attached a .txt file with info from the regkeys WITH NOTES I inserted manually with ► or ►►.  Some of the regkeys are me, the second user on my PC, and other known user profiles, but there is not a one-for-one correspondence between the "extra" regkeys and the five "Account Unknowns".

Actually there IS a one to one correspondence, it's just that we aren't sure what it is - two extra for LogMeInRemoteUser, and three extra for _ocster_1clk_backup_ makes the five.

The *.bak entries in your previous registry snip have cleared themselves up, consistent with the temp profiles going away for LocalService and NetworkService. The ones you have now are different profiles that weren't described in the previous posting. Were they present then even if they were part of the stuff you hadn't posted? And no, I don't really care to see them now.

You said you have a user profile for LogMeInRemoteUser, so presumably that folder exists. Do the folders for profiles LogMeInRemoteUser.DELLOPTIPLEX755 and LogMeInRemoteUser.DELLOPTIPLEX755.000 also exist? And presumably the profile folder _ocster_1clk_backup_ exists for those four profiles to share?

Second, in C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService, right-click - Properties - Security shows that Administrators, LOCAL SERVICE and SYSTEM have Full Control

and in C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService, the same thing shows that Administrators, NETWORK SERVICE and SYSTEM have Full Control

Any thoughts?

These seem similar to the earlier screenshots. It wasn't clear from your earlier comments that the Account Unknowns were not for the LocalService and NetworkService accounts. It does seem you have several extra SIDs  rather than just multiple backup versions of the same SIDs as described in KB947215 method 1. At the same time I'm not clear whether method 3 applies if the folders indicated do actually exist.

I don't know anything about your backup aopplication or if it might be related to the _ocster_1clk_backup_ profiles, nor why there are several that point to the same set of folders. Does the backup app work normally since the problematic update and system restores? Have you even used it since then?  Maybe ask about this in one of their forums?

The LogMeInRemoteUser ones are not just multiple SIDs but also different (though related-looking) folder names. Have you used this app since those updates, and/or the system restore?  Again, their forums might be worth a visit.

Not sure what else to say, these other profile questions are at the end of what I know related to that update, and I can't even investigate anything similar on my own system since the cacls fix worked for me.