POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

You have installed the KB3020338?

The one containing oleaut32.dll v. 5.1.2600.6688, you mean? Yes, on three different machines, since Feb. 22, and it gave me no issue whatsoever.

Is that the test?

Sure. Thank you. I didn't forget you... sorry for my silence. ATM, I'm just out of ideas. :}

NEW Updates for .NET Frameworks released this month:

Many Thanks!

While these monthly updates are important, and very helpful for someone who is diligently keeping their system updated regularly as they should :), this thread is long enough that it is getting difficult to find them all. Is there any possibility that either you, egrabrych, or some mod could please create a stickied thread where the first post contains an up to date summary of all such updates for all versions of .NET, 1.1 - 4.0 and 1.0 if there are any, since April 2014, similar to what was posted here, including mentioning the modified ones with a link to where they can be found where necessary, (I understand that a direct link to the modified updates might not be appropriate), preferably listed in chronological order from oldest to newest? This thread would be fine to use for that purpose, but since the OP was harkaz, and he is busy enough that he doesn't often post, I thought a new thread might be useful to not require a mod's involvement every time to update the post, but whatever works for everyone else is fine with me.

Cheers and Regards

NEW Updates for .NET Frameworks released this month:

.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (MS15-048):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/E/3/3E311496-3A6D-4156-941A-F8BE49D617C2/WindowsServer2003-KB3023211-x86-ENU.exe
This update can't be installed on XP without modification. And sadly we still don't have modified update KB3037572 (MS15-041) released in April.

blackwingcat did that.

search ".net 1.1" in wlu will give you a list of .net 1.1 fixes, installable on both 2000 and XP.

True. And thanks for the heads up! :thumbup

Now, just to be fair to everyone, when Bersaglio posted, two days ago, he hadn't released it yet. I know, because I checked just after initially reading Bersaglio's post.

That said, BlackWingCat does rock! :thumbup  And deserves lots of thanks, of course!  worship.gif

I just installed BlackWingCat's version of KB3037572 and KB3023211 (they're combined together in a single installer).

No untoward effects so far (touch wood!)

My internet security program flagged it as a suspicious file, as it did when I installed his other modified updater files in fact, and I had to switch it off temporarily, but no other issues.

:)

To all:  My Add-or-Remove Programs and Belarc don't show ANY of the .NET 1.1 updates on wlu-blackcat, which is odd because the dates of some of wlu-blackcat's updates to 1.1 go back to 2010.  Wouldn't those have come through on normal Windows Update?

Am I looking at the right stuff?   Thanks.

Edited by glnz

It really has no end, isn't it?  For those of you who use/have Silverlight, it was updated, too.
See the MS Silverlight Release History...  It all boils dow to: uninstall the previous version (probably v. 5.1.30514.0, if not earlier), because the newest installer won't do it for you, and then install the latest Silverlight (KB3056819, which has v. 5.1.40416.0).

BTW, you may also find the Silverlight Balls Animation Test useful, just as I do.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms15-005.aspx#ID0EBEAE
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms15-011.aspx#ID0E3NAC
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms15-050.aspx#ID0EOIAC

Windows Server 2003 is listed as an affected product; why is Microsoft not issuing an update for it?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows%20Server%202003%20R2
2003 is supported til 7/14/2015, but it's not fixed currently.

There is no 2003 fix and not for POSReady 2009.
What to do at POSReady 2009?

• 2 weeks later...

Edit 29 May 2015 - add green text

KB3021674 is is userenv.dll version 5.1.2600.6689, as a matter of fact.
It did not cause that error in any of my 4 XP machines, but something wrong may have happened when you installed it.
I don't think your machine is in any deep trouble, however: on the contrary, I think that's a minor glitch that may be ignored for now, but probably can be fixed, with some patience.

I think I figured out what's going on, at least for my own system since I've gotten rid of those eventlog entries. And it seems just KB3021674 is the immediate culprit since the KB mentions that one "could leverage the Windows User Profile Service (ProfSvc) to load registry hives that are associated with other user accounts". I think the Local Service and Network Service used to do exactly this to borrow access they should not have had, possibly from SYSTEM, which is why it used to work for me before the update but afterward didn't and actually never should have, given some of my file permission settings. The good news is that the update does not need to be uninstalled to solve it.

The first clue is in a thread about this update going wrong for Vista/W7 users, but the basic outline is the same for XP and/or WEPOS 2009 as well even though nobody mentions it... see the third post by Susan Bradley on  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/kb3021674-causes-user-profile-event-1542/f203ebf9-08f5-4b95-84af-fbe8c52f3854?page=3

To dencorso and glnz, could you both check what account is the owner of the folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service

C:\Documents and Settings\Network Service

C:\Documents and Settings\ (your account name)

Mine are all owned by the "Administators" group, I'm thinking that glnz may have this too but perhaps dencorso does not?

Also could you both open a cmd prompt and type

cd c:\Documents and Settings

cacls "Default User" > perms.txt

cacls LocalService >> perms.txt

cacls NetworkService >> perms.txt

cacls (your account name) >> perms.txt

then paste the contents of perms.txt here?

In my case these showed that neither Local Service nor Network Service had any access to their own profiles since they were not the owner. The way I see it, the ideal solution would be to change the owner from Administrators group to Local Service and Network Service but the UI does not give me any way to do that... it can TAKE ownership but not give it away, and having it owned by either me or Administrator would not solve the problem.

The other interesting post is on page 4 of that thread, in the Susan Bradley reply near the bottom, with the screen shots. But instead of focussing on "anyUser" as she does, check out NT AUTHORITY\Local Service and NT AUTHORITY\Network Service - giving them Full Control solved it for me. Also I had to do this for the entire folder (I also propagated to all children while I was at it), not just the files ntuser.dat and usrclass.dat - doing just those 2 files replaced the 6 errors with a pair of eventID1500's but didn't completely solve it. And yes, the mystery profiles for Temp and TEMP.NT AUTHORITY went away on their own after a reboot once I fixed all the permisssions, I did not need to manually delete the temporary profiles.

If you have XP Pro you could follow the screenshots but for Home you would have to either reboot to safemode (so the normally missing security tab can appear on the property sheet), or (to view the current settings) use the command line to enter

cacls LocalService "NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE"

cacls NetworkService "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE"

or to actually do the fix:

cacls LocalService /t /e /g "NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE":F

cacls NetworkService /t /e /g "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE":F

then for either way, version of the fix, reboot. This worked for me.

Edited by w2k4eva

w2k4eva:  First, a word of appreciation for your hard work!  I don't understand yet what you've found, but you've clearly spent some time on it and found some smart clues.  Many thanks.

If I'm hitting the right buttons*, I confirm that

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service

C:\Documents and Settings\Network Service

C:\Documents and Settings\ (your account name)

are all "owned" by Administrators (DELLOPTIPLEX755\Administrators).   [FYI - DELLOPTIPLEX755 is the name of my XP Pro SP3 computer.]

[* On each of the above folders, I did right-click -- Properties -- Security -- Advanced -- Owner.  Correct?  And you are correct that there is no option shown to change "Owner" to LocalService or NetworkService.]

I turned your suggested cmd request into a .bat file, and here are the results:

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
                                       BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
                                       BUILTIN\Users:R
                                       BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)                                                                 GENERIC_READ
                                                                 GENERIC_EXECUTE

BUILTIN\Power Users:R
                                       BUILTIN\Power Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)                                                                       GENERIC_READ
                                                                       GENERIC_EXECUTE

Everyone:R
                                       Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)                                                            GENERIC_READ
                                                            GENERIC_EXECUTE

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE:F
                                       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                       BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                                       NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                       BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:F
                                         NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

C:\Documents and Settings\glnz DELLOPTIPLEX755\glnz:F
                                      DELLOPTIPLEX755\glnz:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

I'm not going to try your fix yet.  Would like to see first your response to the above and how others are faring.  I'm the most noob person posting here (I hope), and it's best for me to watch the experts (such as yourself) first.  Ever see Disney's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?