POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I also noticed that the "browsewm.dll" file is not a part of POSReady 2009 but it is included in the IE6 HotFix. So much for the Microsoft claim that this POSReady 2009 updates are not for Windows XP. :D

Edited by Outbreaker

Of course, at the moment, such files must be extracted and added by hand, because there's no stand-alone installer for them.

Except for copying the files to \WINDOWS\System32 these files need to be copied to \dllcache and install a catalog file for them every time they're updated, if SFC is enabled. This means you have to modify the IE8 cumulative update's update.inf file and: a) add the IE6 cumulative update catalog file to [productcatalogstoinstall], [sourcediskfiles] and [archivecatalogfilesonly] B) add the necessary lines to copy .CAT and .DLL to dllcache c) copy the IE6 update CAT file to the main IE8 update folder (not the \update subfolder).

Edited by harkaz

Hmm, I don't think I'll bother doing that then!

:D

Presumably these later files aren't that critical for IE7 and IE8 or they would surely have been included in the updates for those browsers.

:)

No. Even when SFC is not disabled, by simply copying them to \WINDOWS\System32\dllcache and \WINDOWS\System32 of an inactive (non-booted) system is enought for Windows XP to accept them and give no complaining message. Of course, after that, if SFC ever activates it will only be able to replace the files in \WINDOWS\System32 with those in \WINDOWS\System32\dllcache, but since the signatures will not correct as per the standing catalog, and the files are identical to those in dllcache SFC maybe stops protecting them. But in any case, by simply booting to a linux live disc or a Win PE (or to DOS, in case Win XP is on FAT-32 as all my iown nstallations are), one can simply replace those files in both folders and XP will keep working with no complaints at all.  

That's good to know Den!

I still wonder why they would update files for IE6 installations but not for IE7 or 8, unless the updates weren't actually necessary in those browsers.

That's very interesting, in fact I am getting the blank window so presumably need the hotfix!

My shdocvw.dll file is older than the one in the hotfix, but as it's a hotfix you need to request from MS and can't just download, I don't think I'll bother!

Edited by Dave-H

Wow, that's it! Thanks -X-!

Interesting that there are IE 6 updates for POSReady 2009 even though it comes with IE 7.

I did a search on the net a couple weeks ago about removing IE 7 on POSR 2009 and installing IE 6 (not that I'm trying to do that). Someone on some forum (can't remember where) wanted to do that as they had a mission critical app that had to have IE 6 installed. The single response they got back was that their source of POSR 2009 would need to supply them with a special build that had IE 6 instead of 7.

I can't help but chuckle at the idea that MS is still supporting IE 6 with patches until July 2015 for 2K3 (and who knows how far beyond that, with POSR 2009!).

IE 6: the browser that defines Microsoft.

Edited by the xt guy

Interesting that there are IE 6 updates for POSReady 2009 even though it comes with IE 7.

Yes. But WEPOS was released on 5/24/2005, and came with IE6... And that means extended support until 7/14/2015, just like for Windows Server 2003.

I can't help but chuckle at the idea that MS is still supporting IE 6 with patches until July 2015 for 2K3 (and who knows how far beyond that, with POSR 2009!).

Well, in any case IE6 SP3. Updates for IE6 SP1 stopped some time ago.

I didn't think there was a SP3 for IE6, perhaps it came out after I upgraded to IE8.

IIRC IE6 SP2 came with Windows XP SP2 (it was never released for Windows 2000), but Windows XP SP3 didn't include an update for IE.

IE6 files v. 6.0.2900.5512 or higher are sp3... the most recent are marked (xpsp_sp3_qfe.xxxxxx-xxxx)

Of course XP SP3 included an update for IE6, but it wasn't advertised as such in so many words. :D

BTW, I think the very last update for IE6 SP1 came out on Feb 2013 MS security ISO update package.

A reliable guide is the version of SHDOCVW.DLL, as sumarized in this table (please scroll down, it's the Builds table that's relevant...).

Of course XP SP3 included an update for IE6, but it wasn't advertised as such in so many words.  :D

Indeed, if you looked at Help>About Internet Explorer in IE6, it always still said that it was SP2 even after updating Windows XP to SP3.

Although there obviously were many subsequent updates after it changed from SP1 to SP2, that never changed.

IIRC MS were actually asked why they didn't include IE7 with XP SP3, and they said they decided to let people upgrade IE manually only if they wanted to.

The reason they didn't include IE7 in SP3 is because it's an upgrade, not an update. They did however pushed it as a "High-Priority" update via the XP update mechanisms because it boasts added security features just like they do with IE8 today. This is unlike Windows Media Player 11 which has no added security features. Service packs are about bug fixes and patches. Not about upgrades though they added major features with SP2.

Edited by -X-