POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

monroe, the latest UDC is for the out-of-bound May 1st update, not May's patch tuesday since XP had no official updates released then since it was EOL.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the UDC and site going forward except for updates like rvkroots.exe and time zone updates. Those I'll definitely add but the rest I'm thinking over as I don't want to run afoul of MS and risk losing the site.

Edited by -X-

-X- ... understand about not wanting lose the web site ... I just saw May 2014, even though it was May 1, 2014. I just compared KB numbers and they didn't match, which of course they wouldn't.

I'm not even sure I will put any newer updates on my computer ... just stop with April unless there are Time Zone and rvkroots.exe updates. I will see what others are doing after April 2014. So Time Zone and rvkroots.exe might show up down the road?

thanks ...

Edited by monroe

@monroe - You are misunderstanding. The "out-of-band" one still applies, thus the May 1, 2014 "updated" UDC (scoll down to bottom uf the Updates list -and- the Change Log at the bottom). This was the only one that MS has provided (thus far) after EOS specifically for XP (and others) since it was a BIIIIG issue applying to also IE6 and XP users screamed bloody murder. Use it!

http://technet.microsoft.com/security/bulletin/ms14-021

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

Now, as for the -others- (TZ and rvkroots), it may be up for debate. Note that 98SE had to have "Unofficial TZ Updates" and there is -no- "Unofficial RVKROOTS" at -all-.

Anything else beyond what -X- has listed will undoubtedly (if ever) be "Unofficial" - AND have to be built (again!->) "on-the-fly" (as with the Windows Update Agent/WUA) and would -probably- have to be scripted as "optional" for the ease-of-comfort of the user of the UDC.

HTH

Note - in M$ eyes, EOS is... EOL (End-Of-Line...) so don't count on anything but "unofficial" (beyond May 1 fix).

Edited by submix8c

The reason I'm absolutely sure on the rvkroots and TZ one is because they are just updates that add registry entries. Simple enough to make an add-on that adds registry entries. ;)

Time zone updates also include updated versions of tzchange.exe. The file doesn't exist in XP sources, but the time zone updates install it to %WinDir%\system32. And a catalog file is included.

from update_SP3QFE.inf of KB2935092:

[ProductInstall.CopyFilesAlways]    CopyFiles=CopyAlways.System32.files
[DestinationDirs]    CopyAlways.System32.files=11    ; %windir%\system32 (copy even if don't exist)[CopyAlways.System32.files]    tzchange.exe,SP3QFE\tzchange.exe
Edited by 5eraph

???

I may buy the TZ (strictly registry), but Certs are in the Certificate Store. :unsure:

The RVKROOTS "INF" runs the "UpdRoots.exe" against the "DisallowedCert.sst".

Maybe I don't understand Certificates as well as I should. :no:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_cmuncertstor.mspx?mfr=true

So... an Add-On (in either case) would probably work (anyway)...

edit - never mind...

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014749610#77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014749621

Further, Root Certs should only be applied to non-WSUS Servers (2K3 only?) otherwise stuff "breaks".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2801679

Latest RootCerts here (only Clients listed) -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125

Note these are not included in UDC (for whatever reason...). DOH! "Optional" (can't remember)?

---- apologies for this going (semi-)off-topic ----

(below is quote from above IBM link)

The trusted root certificates are stored under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates\". Each cert has its own unique entry under it. When adding a cert, just monitor changes to the registry using whatever method you use for this and you will see the new key appear under there. There will then be an binary value named "Blob" under the key. Export the key and write a fixlet to import that entry into the registry. I have the fixlet checking for the existence of the key (it is always the same name for each cert) in the registry and established it as a policy, so our root CA cert is always imported onto new machines.
Edited by submix8c

@all -

We may want to note Tripredacus' warnings. However, it -appears- (so far) that the two coincide (POS2009<->2K3). Note that the comment says "crashes" when the -reverse- is done...

I only mentioned it because I am unaware if the IE updates being offered to an XP with a regmod to identify it as being XPe/POSReady are for the browser actually installed in the OS, or the Embedded IE version. Since there is an actual difference between the two, it was worth mentioning.

@5eraph.  Yes but it's unimportant. tzchange is just a command line utility for editing time zones.

The meat is the actual changes to DST so that your clock stays accurate. Those are all just registry entries.

@submix8c It's just registry data in the end. ;)

Edited by -X-

submix8c ... sorry for the mix up ... yes I already had that last IE8 update that came out after April 8th installed. In my mind I thought that update had been released "near" the end of April ... forgot it was May 1st. So I am up to date on all "official" updates with a clean image backup.

However (this is just an opinion), spoofing 2k3 x64 for XP x64 may, perhaps, be a way to go...  :angel

This is more difficult.

Win2003 x64 Updates checks if it is not WinNT, then it will cancel. You cannot change the value in the live system, because this would be a license violation, if you change this in ServerNT.

[Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section]

PresentOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000

NotEqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000,!=,"WinNT"

Display_String="%WrongProductMessage%"

I'm an average computer user (2K Pro and XP), and have had a particularly distasteful month setting up Windows 7 machines for a couple of family members.  I just discovered this topic and read through it entirely.  I had a flashback to my childhood, when my Dad took me to see the Harlem Globetrotters play.  To all, bravo.