POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Just added the registry entry on my other Windows XP computer, and Microsoft Update is now offering me four critical updates.

KB2932079 (.NET 2.0), KB2926765 (Security update for WEPOS and POSReady), KB2931365 (.NET 4), and KB2953522 (Security Update for IE8).

Can someone who's done it reassure me that these are all OK to install?

:)

Just added the registry entry on my other Windows XP computer, and Microsoft Update is now offering me four critical updates.

KB2932079 (.NET 2.0), KB2926765 (Security update for WEPOS and POSReady), KB2931365 (.NET 4), and KB2953522 (Security Update for IE8).

Can someone who's done it reassure me that these are all OK to install?

I installed the available updates last night, after adding the registry entry. They downloaded and installed just fine. The system rebooted and all seemed well.

However, I've been seeing some strange behaviour from MS Security Essentials. After adding the registry entry, it shows the green tick, and then sometimes reverts back to the red cross.

Thanks, that is reassuring!

I don't have Security Essentials installed, I use Trend Titanium Internet Security, so it will be interesting to see what that makes of it.

The "modified" ones at the RVM link given in Post#1 match the KB numbers listed above. You could "theoretically" download the Original+Modded and compare the contents if in doubt.

Well I've installed the offered updates using Microsoft Update, carefully one by one, and there has been no ill effects so far!

The only one missing that I had installed on my other machine using harkaz's files was the KB2931352 .NET update, which MS Update isn't offering.

BTW I was heartened to see in my local supermarket today one of their brand new self-service tills rebooting, and yes, it looked very like XP!

IE7 and IE8, as well as .NET 1.1 SP1 are almost the only ones intended for 2k3 x86 that can be ported OK to XP x86.
Now, POSReady 2009 also gets those for IEx so, IMO, its far too dangerous to try to spoof *at the same time* both POSReady 2009 *and 2k3*... it's bound to go wrong. So, my take, spoof POSReady 2009 which seems to be safe, and wait for the few NET 1.1 SP1 to be ported by hand, before adding them. Many users don't even have .NET 1.x installed, so just relatively few need those.

And for anyone who, like me, prefers reg files, here is the Myrrh-Sebijk-Harkaz trick in .reg form:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]"Installed"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]"Installed"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]"Installed"=dword:00000001

However (this is just an opinion), spoofing 2k3 x64 for XP x64 may, perhaps, be a way to go...  :angel

N.B.: Superseded by the version on the 1st post. Use that one.

However (this is just an opinion), spoofing 2k3 x64 for XP x64 may, perhaps, be a way to go...  :angel

It's the only way to go. XPx64 shares far more in common with Win2003x64 than any x86 OS. Same codebase, same service packs, same updates.

Updated the May 2014 hotfix installers with the latest update.exe patch. I also fixed a bug in the .NET FW 1.1 hotfix: an older version of package installer was used. I upgraded the installer to the latest version.

You can download the latest files from my Drive folder.

Thanks harkaz, I've re-downloaded the three files you modified which are relevant to my system.

Two of them I have re-installed the updates anyway using Microsoft Update, but do I need to manually reinstall KB2931352?

It did appear to install OK the first time before you modified it.

Cheers and thanks, Dave.

OK ... I am a little confused on a couple of things ... as usual with technical stuff. I put the registry entries that dencorso posted earlier on my XP setup.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]

"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

----------------

then I went to Windows update and these two updates showed up to be downloaded:

XP Updates May 2014

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB2926765)

05/13/2014

Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB2953522)

05/13/2014 (3.2 MB)

-----------------

Are these correct for my XP SP3 setup? I only have .NET Framework 2 installed but no updates for .NET Framework 1 show up ... but I understand from reading earlier that those .NET updates have to be found another way. I have to re-read all that again.

When I go to -X-'s XP download site the KB updates he has for May 2014 do not match the KB updates that I show.

From -X-'s site ... His update list:

May 1, 2014

+ Windows-KB89083O-Vx.xxb.cab [1], [10]

+ IE8-WindowsXP-KB2964358-x86-custom-ENU.exe

- Windows-KB89083O-Vx.xx.cab replaced by Windows-KB89083O-Vx.xx-b.cab

Note: Windows-KB89083O-Vx.xxb.cab is just a filename change for the MSRT desktop shortcut readme file.

Also, harkaz ... I can't find your drive folder that you mentioned ... "You can download the latest files from my Drive folder." I went to the link that you posted earlier ... RyanVM and wasn't able to see any downloads. I also didn't see any updates in the 1st post.

thanks ...

Edited by monroe

-X- hasn't updated for May 13th. Since XP's EoS date has passed, the lapse may be intentional.

Notice: Just because XP went EOL/EOS on April 8, 2014, does not mean it's the end. Stay tuned for any future updates.

Edited by 5eraph

Be aware that the version of IE that is in an Embedded OS is different than the standard download. Installing updates for IE8e may cause unwanted functions on the standard IE that is on your XP PCs. This is also true for 7 embedded, where using the non embedded IE caused it to crash in certain situations.

Also, harkaz ... I can't find your drive folder that you mentioned ... "You can download the latest files from my Drive folder." I went to the link that you posted earlier ... RyanVM and wasn't able to see any downloads. I also didn't see any updates in the 1st post.

Go to the RyanVM link, then go to the first post in that thread. The link to his drive folder is at the bottom of that first post. Direct link to the RyanVM post where you can fine the link - http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10321

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks for the replies and info.

OK bphlpt ... I got the link and the Drive folder.

It's OK if I do mess my computer up ... I have an image backup to go back to so I can experiment with all this new stuff and get everything figured out to to do it correctly.

5eraph ... I misread -X-'s web site ... just saw May 2014 and thought he had posted some EOL updates.

Tripredacus ... I don't fully understand everything so far in this thread but it's starting to sink in a little. I am not aware of all the differences in the various downloads.

I haven't installed anything as of now ... just wanted to see what the Windows Update site would show for the May updates.

thanks again ...

Edited by monroe

@all -

We may want to note Tripredacus' warnings. However, it -appears- (so far) that the two coincide (POS2009<->2K3). Note that the comment says "crashes" when the -reverse- is done...

Also note the comment by dencorso here -

added by dencorso:http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=findpost&pid=1078606
These could very well be the reason -X- has reservations about the "unofficial" ones at this time -and- the fact that UDC will have to "build on-the-fly" post-EOS Updates using methods discussed. Note the girations to obtain the "latest" WUA file and the notations about "additional work" (dencorso) for modifying the INF's to correctly function on post-EOS (not-yet) "unofficial". We are, after all, in the "testing" phase. :yes:

(errr... having a bit of trouble correctly giving/editing post links. :crazy: )

(sigh...) Just a reminder about specific post links:

1 - Right-Click Post# (upper-right of the post) and Copy Link Location

2 - Past "somewhere" in you post

3 - Edit the "page-n#entryn" to read as "?view=findpost&p=n"

Example of above (that I 'somehow" kept getting the -wrong- post#)

Old (what I get when 1+2 above)

New

Although the -first- one I gave "somehow" screwed up (pointing to "another" post) initially -but- when copy/pasted in a new tab/window does work.

OY!!!

Edited by dencorso
Added example of best type of link direct-to-post