POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

To get my own little Howto complete, I was just wondering:

As the very first step (to collect the XP-post-EOL updates), what should I search for in Windows Update Catalog:

- "posready" (only KB2926765 and KB2953522 show up)

or

- "xp embedded" (then sort on date): The .NET updates also show up.

Do I need the .NET ones as well? I'm a little confused...

Thanks!

@den, jaclaz Thanks for your suggestions, I updated the instructions.

@Atari800XL You need .NET updates if you install .NET Framework on your system. Note that the .NET 1.1 updates found in my Drive folder have been ported from Windows Server 2003 by den.

@Dave-H: I have found the latest (v12.9.5.2) symevent.sys, symevent.cat, symevent.inf files. I can send you these files via PM if you want.

@Dave-H: I have found the latest (v12.9.5.2) symevent.sys, symevent.cat, symevent.inf files. I can send you these files via PM if you want.

Thanks, that would be much appreciated!

They are 32 bit system files I assume?

What about s32evnt1.dll, which is also part of it?

Cheers, Dave.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

@Atari800XL You need .NET updates if you install .NET Framework on your system. Note that the .NET 1.1 updates found in my Drive folder have been ported from Windows Server 2003 by den.

Thanks. I was confused, becaue OnePiece/ Nonno Fabio didn't include them in their updates folder and the tutorial.

So the .NET updates can be "treated" in the same manner as KB2926765 and KB2953522? (=extract, patch, repack)?

Edited by Atari800XL

To get my own little Howto complete, I was just wondering:

As the very first step (to collect the XP-post-EOL updates), what should I search for in Windows Update Catalog:

- "posready" (only KB2926765 and KB2953522 show up)

or

- "xp embedded" (then sort on date): The .NET updates also show up.

POSReady and WEPOS at the very least.

So the .NET updates can be "treated" in the same manner as KB2926765 and KB2953522? (=extract, patch, repack)?

Yes, but the .INF requires considerably more editing.

Just to report that I have substituted the later version 12.9.5.2 symevent files on my system, with no apparent ill effects.

The s32evnt1.dll file, which is also part of the package, is still the earlier 12.8.6.38 version.

Thanks, harkaz!

there is a much easier way:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]"Installed"=dword:00000001

and POSReady2009 Updates will install on XP + Windows Update shows the updates for POSReady 2009 :)

Sebijk, I just read a similar post on MDL

Only Myrrh uses two registry entries. Are you sure this single WAP\POSReady entry is enough?

Also, I tested the Myrrh mod from "outside" (offline regedit, with Win8PESE), how did you do the edit?

Thanks for mentioning, this looks quite promising (I'm on XP with Myrrh-mod right now).

yes, its only just one entry. The Updates check only if the registry entries: WEPOS, PosReady or WES. Instead PosReady you can also use WEPOS or WES.

I edited directly on XP. Note after restart you cannot remove the entry, only with offline editing with load hive.

Thanks Sebijk, this is getting better and better. Now I'm wondering why Myrrh would use the "ProductSuite" entry, though...

Together with Nonno Fabio's "Final" XP updatepack (and the post-EOL/POSReady addon packs, that you can create relatively easy with his great DXUPAC tool), this seems to be a very nice, clean and simple solution!

Works a charm. Myrrh's methods probably has one minor benefit but I haven't tested it. It might suppresses error messages in the update logs.

[KB2953522-IE8.log]1.188: ================================================================================1.188: 2014/05/21 16:16:57.281 (local)1.188: i:\b7dcb6f589af09c9adc4d4e356aa0c5b\update\update.exe (version 6.3.13.0)1.188: Hotfix started with following command line: 1.188: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x21.219:  Exec Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded1.Section: Result System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion Key Not Found 1.219:  Exec Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded1.Section: Result SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS Key Not Found 1.219:  Exec Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded2.Section: Result System\WPA\WES Key Not Found 

@Sebijk Excellent trick. I will test it on Personal SKUs of Windows XP to see if WU works then I'll update the first post. Let's hope that M$ will not add an extra requirement for the EmbeddedNT value. So far it works on MCE/Tablet PC/ Normal Pro SKUs.

@ -x- It's easy to suppress these error messages. I will post instructions later.

So do I understand this right?

We can get automatic Microsoft updates for our Windows XP systems for the next five years just by adding one simple registry entry, and everything that harkaz and others have been doing towards this has actually been a complete and unnecessary waste of time and effort?!

I have to say that it does sound just a bit too good to be true!

Edited by Dave-H

I wouldn't call it a waste of time. It's a process. More things are discovered as time passes but yeah, it's true.  :thumbup