Windows Crash - Figuring Out What Happened

xmf

I was watching a movie and playing a video game (both half-screen), and the game froze up and I couldn't get task manager to start. I waited a bit to see if things would resolve, and after they did not I restarted (manually) only to get insert proper boot media type message. I restarted again and was unable to get into safe-mode (same insert proper boot media type message).

Entering the BIOS the main boot device had been changed to my storage drive (not-bootable). I was able to change back to my OS drive and boot into Windows, but I'm kind of concerned.

Is there any way I can look into what might have happened?

As far as virsuses, I use AV and browse sandboxed, perform boot-time scans, and am generally pretty cautious.

Edited by xmf

I just looked under all event types, and I can see a record of the unexpected shut-down - however, referencing the event viewer for the time when the freeze-up occurred, no errors, critical, or any type of events are registered.

Have you looked into Event Viewer at the time of the freeze?

Edited by xmf

For an unknown reason your HDD stopped responding, even after (at least 1st) reboot, shifting your 2nd HDD to 1st boot device. From then it is not clear when it came back, but you were able to put it back in 1st place. I'd first backup check the HDD then check it.