Windows 7 SP1 - Unavailable at WU and Direct download

epic

<rant> I decided to ditch Winodws 8/8.1 and go back to Windows 7, hate metro and the lack of a start menu. </rant>

Plugged my Windows 7 Professional EN, vLite edition (Removed LANGuages), iso in formated and installed. Installed all my apps and ran Windows 7 for a week and finally realized that I needed SP1 installed, why I hadn't slipstreamed it IDK. Ran windows update until every update was installed and no option to install SP1. I downloaded the offline installer (windows6.1-KB976932-X64) and after I execute it I'm promptly provided the message "One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing."  I click on the link provided in the window and it takes me here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/why-am-i-receiving-message-system-components-missing .. no way am I "reinstalling" ... anyway I followed the steps and have no option to " Get important updates for installation" within the menu. I have "Install" ... wait ... "Upgrade" or "Customize" ... select upgrade and, obviously, tells me not applicable, go back and select customize and now presented with the drives I would like to install Windows on. So, I'm not reinstalling,

I followed this guide too:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498452

1. I checked for KB976902 and was not installed. 
  • Located windows6.1-kb976902-x86, but no x64 version.  

• Read an article stating kb976902 has been pulled. Unable to locate any official download 

1. I do not have any Intel GPU drivers. 
  • Only NVIDIA ... no Intel GPU 
  1. The vLite option..  
  • the only option I believe could possibly be the issue, BUT only language packs were removed from the image. 

last session log: (unsure where the "compatibility" information came from... is this automatically populated by vlite?)

; vLite preset file;;#Environment:; vLite v1.2; Framework 2.0.50727.4927; Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0 64-bit;;#Target:; Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL 64-bit; Version 6.1 English (United States);[Compatibility]ACDSee / XnViewDriveimageXMLDVD TreasuryHalo 2Hauppauge WinTVKMPlayerLogitech SetpointMediaPortalPerfect World ClientZoom PlayerAero GlassFile and printer sharing (Server)Internet ExplorerInternet Information Services (IIS)RecommendedScanners and CamerasSystem RestoreWindows Fax and ScanWindows Update[CustomHide][Components];# Languages #ArabicBrazillianBulgarianCroatianCzechDanishDutchEstonianFinnishFrenchGermanGreekHebrewHungarianItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianNorwegianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSimplified ChineseSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwedishTable Driven Text Input ProcessorThaiTraditional ChineseTurkishUkrainian[Options]DEP (Data Execution Prevention) = DefaultUser Account Control (UAC) = DisabledAntiSpyware Realtime Protection = DefaultAutoPlay = EnabledPaging Executive = EnabledPower scheme = High performancePower button = DefaultSleep button = DefaultControl Panel - Classic View = DefaultShow hidden files and folders = YesShow protected operating system files = NoShow extensions for known file types = YesIE Phishing Filter = DefaultIE Phishing Verification Ballon Tips = Default[Services]WLANSVC = DisabledWMPNETWORKSVC = DisabledWSEARCH = Disabled[Protection][Drivers][Unattended][Hotfixes][LanguagePacks]
Edited by epic

Thanks, but I have the "official" version of W7 without SP1, I also have SP1 downloaded so I can slipstream it.

I'm looking for answers and a resolution to this error, not the standard microsoft statement "reinstall".... that's just willful ignorance.

Edited by epic

HUH????

Thanks, but I have the "official" version of W7 without SP1, I also have SP1 downloaded so I can slipstream it.

I'm looking for answers and a resolution to this error, not the standard microsoft statement "reinstall".... that's just willful ignorance.

Those ARE Official Versions! Have you not heard of DigitalRiver? OFFICIAL APPROVED MS files! (it's an MS Store Outlet.)

Get your English SP1u ISO, burn it, reinsert it, and RUN INSTALL->UPGRADE (SP0->SP1), since it's "newer". No need to even remove languages! The -only- thing you may not have in the Official ISO is some of those items you "disable" but -theoretically- those Settings should remain unaltered. Please note this is EXACTLY the situation with an XP "reinstall" - exact CD will "booger" the DocsSettings folders / Higher SP than Original can't Upgrade / Slipstream latest SP to Original allows Upgrade from Running OS.

I'ts obvious "something" was "altered during vLite" that is now considered "officially missing".

Otherwise, no other help to be provided, as was stated above...

You MIGHT try using "Win Toolkit" to integrate. :unsure: I wouldn't touch RT7Lite with a ten-foot pole. :no:

I stated I have an official copy, never stated what you posted wasn't "official."

Yes, removing languages is neccessary as I don't want a cluttered OS with useless files that will take up MY Hard drive space. If I want ENGLISH on my system, that will be the ONLY language on the system. If I wanted French, Hebrew or any other language I'll install it myself. Language files can take up to 500-1000mb on a system at least, not only does it fuck up the directory listings. If the link you posted provides images with SINGULAR languages then I appologize. I'm just fed up with Microsoft inability to actually fix their god **** shit and properly relay the fixes without ambiguous bul*****.

Anyway, vlite obviously removed something it shouldn't have. Unless the SP recognized

Then start apologizing. ;) Those are SINGULAR languages with no integrated "language packs". :yes:

IOW, I had to get one to reload a friend's PC (with their key, of course). ENGLISH ONLY was on the ISO! Subsequently I Updated it with the latest Win7 Post-SP1u updates. There is absolutely NO reason to to use vLite or any other tool, IMHO, except to integrate with OFFICIAL methods the Hotfixes. :no:

Guess you should have looked closer at the link? :unsure:

Important Note May 2014

Microsoft is retiring the previous download servers msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net, msft.digitalrivercontent.net and azcdn01.digitalrivercontent.net. All downloads are moving to the Azure storage on drcdn.blob.core.windows.net. We have updated all links, so the files should be reliably available again.

So, what's your #$%& beef?

HTH

Edited by submix8c

I also respect the OP's wishes, but if I understand the situation correctly:

1. He created a Win7 install source using vLite (He did not try to include SP1 for some reason)
2, He installed the vLited OS and everything worked great for a while until he realized that he needed SP1 after all.
3. He downloaded SP1 but he has not been able to install SP1 onto his running OS.
4. He does not want to recreate an install source using a source ISO that includes SP1 for some reason.
5. He does not want to reinstall Win7 including SP1, he would only want to upgrade his existing install if it did not create all of the extra, duplicated folders that the normal Win7 upgrade procedure now needlessly creates.

I sympathize with his frustration, but just because he only wants to do things a certain way doesn't mean there is an easy way to do it in the manner he would like.  It appears that when he created his install source that vLite did something that is preventing SP1 from being installed.  Of course, I don't think that vLite was ever intended to be used on Win7 anyway, and I believe that getting it to work on an SP1 source or getting it to integrate SP1 correctly takes quite a bit of effort, but that is neither here nor there.  He could try using Win Toolkit instead, or nuhi's upcoming tool should be able to make the slimming changes he wants to make, if he is willing to wait for it.   Anyway, as much as he does want to hear it, as best as I know it looks as if he is going to need to start over if he wants to end up with an installed Win7 SP1 OS.

Cheers and Regards

This is incorrect.

4. He does not want to recreate an install source using a source ISO that includes SP1 for some reason.
5. He does not want to reinstall Win7 including SP1, he would only want to upgrade his existing install if it did not create all of the extra, duplicated folders that the normal Win7 upgrade procedure now needlessly creates.
4. There is nothing to recreate. It's an official Win7 w/SP1u (refresh from SP1, includes a single KB-Fix) for a single language that the RTM originally used with vLite included "(Removed LANGuages)" (ref the vLite list given). I will venture to say that the additional Options given are more than likely ( :huh: ) within an XML and could easily be inserted into the Newest ISO.

5. Perhaps You ARE correct in this since the OP stated

I have "Install" ... wait ... "Upgrade" or "Customize" ... select upgrade and, obviously, tells me not applicable
however, on a Running XP/2K3, it's "permissible" to do an "over-the-top" Reinstall/Upgrade from the same or higher SP-level, so I had (perhaps erroneously) assumed that it would also apply to Win7. HOWEVER, I could have SWORN that I had done this before to a "virus infested" Win7 (maybe I didn't?). See this -

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

This is incorrect.

4. There is nothing to recreate. It's an official Win7 w/SP1u (refresh from SP1, includes a single KB-Fix) for a single language that the RTM originally used with vLite included "(Removed LANGuages)" (ref the vLite list given). I will venture to say that the additional Options given are more than likely ( :huh: ) within an XML and could easily be inserted into the Newest ISO.

I understand what you're saying. What I meant by recreate was he didn't want to recreate a new vLited install source using the "official Win7 w/SP1u", ie he didn't want to start over.

Cheers and Regards