How Do I Download This ThinkPad Video

Monroe

First, just wasn't sure where to post this but since I am using XP, it's here.

There are several little quick IBM ThinkPad repair videos that I can view online but I would like to download them all to save and burn to a CD for future repair information. I think they are "flash videos" but have fooled around a bit and can't seem to figure out how to download or save them.

Here is one link for an example ... Javascript has to be on ... I switch it back and forth.

Keyboard installation movie - ThinkPad T40/p, T41/p, T42/p, T43/p

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-50228

... maybe they can't be saved like I can save YouTube videos with Youtube Downloader HD. I spent yesterday downloading many videos on Thinkpad T41 - T42 repairs but I would also like to have these Lenovo videos on hand ... might not be there later on when I might need them.

thanks ...

Edited by monroe

In Firefox, with NoScript, I get the direct link via Right-Click. Your "for example"

http://download.lenovo.com/Removal_movies/50228_t40_keyboard_install.swf

It's a SWF alright and you would need to convert it -or- get the "StandAlone Flash Player". Google that (with quotes), as I don't currently remember where Adobe the link is (it's on, e.g., cnet and softpedia though).

HTH

edit - and the links in post#6 work alright -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149356-best-small-free-standalone-flash-video-player/

Edited by submix8c

submix8c ... HarryTri

thanks for the information ... I have downloaded everything but have no time today to try things out. Will probably do so tomorrow or shortly.

When I go to that link the movie starts playing right away ... I hope I can connect with the link.

Edited by monroe

I can download the SWF animation with Opera 12.

To do so, I navigate to the page where the animation is, activate Dragonfly, go to the network log, press Reload, scroll through the log to find either a SWF anim or a FLV video file, and copy the full address. I can then paste it into the address bar (video does start to play) and select Page -> Save As; or in case of a FLV, directly the destination directory for the download.

This works with videos that are delivered in one segment. FLV's don't need the Flash player, but in this case these are full animations (video combined with the program and UI seekbar), and they do need it.

I am getting Flash Player (any variant of it) from Windows Legacy Update. Press Catalog, enter "flash" in the search box, pick version.

Edited by j7n

First, just wasn't sure where to post this but since I am using XP, it's here.

There are several little quick IBM ThinkPad repair videos that I can view online but I would like to download them all to save and burn to a CD for future repair information. I think they are "flash videos" but have fooled around a bit and can't seem to figure out how to download or save them.

Here is one link for an example ... Javascript has to be on ... I switch it back and forth.

Keyboard installation movie - ThinkPad T40/p, T41/p, T42/p, T43/p

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-50228

... maybe they can't be saved like I can save YouTube videos with Youtube Downloader HD. I spent yesterday downloading many videos on Thinkpad T41 - T42 repairs but I would also like to have these Lenovo videos on hand ... might not be there later on when I might need them.

thanks ...

Your video:

(to see it - copy url to brovser address area and click "Enter", all most known web explorers can it paly)

You can use any downloader (I used Mxthon Cloud Browser Downloader for example), but You can use any other.

Download and play it for example on Zoom Player (I used Zoom Player Max 9.02), but You can use some other, convert and join any number of swf videos.

I also uploaded this:

http://www.adrive.com/public/EG2xVe/50228_t40_keyboard_install.swf

or zip file

http://www.adrive.com/public/bC3HWu/50228_t40_keyboard_install.zip  

Download begins automatically.

Here is the video default URL 

Edited by kaljukass

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that VLC can play SWF.

I think that is because the question was "How Do I Download This Thinkpad Video", not "How Do I Play This Thinkpad Video".

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

[...] the question was "How Do I Download This Thinkpad Video?" [...]

What's the question, if there isn't  much , then I can help. As I said, I didn't use any special method, only simple web browser and my own knowledge. The most difficult thing is finding the correct URL. It takes a few minutes.

A lot more information here since I last posted ...

j7n ... I have Opera 12 (last version I use) and followed your instructions using Dragonfly in the "Developers Tools" section. In the Network Log I found the .swf URL link. That was easy enough, I never fooled around with Dragonfly so I learned something new about Opera 12. Again thanks for the help.

kaljukass ... I got the download OK from your adrive.com links.

HarryTri ... I'm still working with Free Download Manager, didn't have luck getting the .swf link but I didn't spend enough time with it to figure it out ... like the program though.

When I saw the post from j7n mentioning Opera 12 ... and since I already had it on my computer, I decided to give it a try.

That's what I needed, a way to get that .swf link but I am going to work (experiment) with everything that was posted. I've had videos like this show up before that I didn't know how to save, so this a big learning experience for me.

thanks ...

Edited by monroe

The most difficult thing is finding the correct URL. It takes a few minutes.

True.  Some sites make it harder than others.  In the above case, besides the methods you and others suggested, I was able to find the link by simply examining the page source and searching for a .swf file.  The full link is plainly listed.  

Cheers and Regards

AHHH! To point out, I used FireFox (v12) and NoScript (v2.6.3). The NoScript blocked the playing of the video so I could right-click it, otherwise you would need to open the Page Source and look for character string ".SWF" (in this case).

To point out, I gave the direct link already guys, so why this extra stuff/uploads/embedding? Although the other info is useful.

I'll check out FreeDownloadManager (thx, looks interesting), but to point out, minimum requirement is XP-SP1. As for a Simplistic (I guess) Downloader I use FlashGet (the older one that works with Win9x) - those additional features don't exist in it, however. :(

edit - huh! did a lot of "to point out" pointing out in this post...

Edited by submix8c

submix8c ... in my case there were more ThinkPad movies that I wanted to download ... yes, I got your link for that one movie file but here are others that I want to save ... from this page.

Hardware removal and installation - ThinkPad T40/p, T41/p, T42/p, T43/p

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-50233

I don't have FireFox on my computer presently ... I do have an older version put away on a USB stick ... FF 3.5, I think ... could this also work like the version you are using or maybe it's just too old.

I like Standalone Flash Player ... I will checkout FlashGet. Yes, very interesting stuff so far.

Edited by monroe

That's quite a list! You're on XP Pro so using what I stated should be sufficient. If I disable NoScript I can't get the direct link. Not sure if that version of NoScript will work on later FF versions or if an even newer version of NoScript is available (I'm satisfied with what I have).

HTH

Highlight link save link as.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that VLC can play SWF.

I think that is because the question was "How Do I Download This Thinkpad Video", not "How Do I Play This Thinkpad Video".

Cheers and Regards

Ye but he can open the SWF in VLC with the web address then save it.

2r3hys5.jpg

Edited by oldskool