Using wpiw for installing windows updates

I have been using wpi for installing windows updates for a long time and recently as I am updating my list I found it to be faster using only windows not wpiw.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Does anyone else use wpiw for installing windows updates?

Also are there user examples for various uses anywhere? I did a google search and cant find examples.

thanks for any input

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/93-windows-post-install-wizard-wpi/

Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI) - WPI is a hypertext application designed to give users choice of app-install

Basically -any- Application Software that you can find and utilize Silent Install techniques. ;)

Generally, WPIW isn't used for Windows Updates since other methods are used. Maybe you're attempting to use it in a similar fashion to AutoPatcher? Notice there are -many- REG Entries and/or Files that may need checked to "update" a pre-Updated (already installed some MS Updates) to prevent re-install (what AutoPacther does). This is (generall) wht you would need to do with WPIW, including Application Software (don't attempt to install TWICE). True?

Scroll down to "Automated Software Installation" -

WPIW is not -necessarily- intended to be used as an AutoPatcher Replacement, but rather a PostInstall/Update Applications Installer (big difference between Install+Update and Installing an AddOn, which WPIW is intended to be used for).

edit - also see here, with direct reference to a number of MSFN Topics.

HTH
Edited by submix8c

I think you'll be a lot happier slipstreaming those updates. (For winXP, use nlite or ryanVM integrator). Slipstreaming takes the files from the windows updates and actually replaces the ones contained in the windows install disk. In this way, when you install windows it will already have the most recent updates integrated into it, saving you a lot of time and a lot of space on your install disk.

Additionally, which OS? You've posted about Windows XP also Windows 7 (as refurbisher with references to WPI license, usage, etc.). You also (at one time) got "shot down" over trying to combine some ISO files (torrented).

Even so, it's possible to Slipstream with the correct tools in either one -or- install via UnattendXML+CMDscript (Windows 7). XP is slightly different, in that -some- updates only apply -if- a given component is installed (see http://xdot.tk/#fn3).

HTH

Thank you for the ideas. I am using windows 7 and sometimes XP, I had trouble slipstreaming the updates so I found you can silent install the updates with wpi. Its been working great.

And I fixed my isssue.

I dont use this company wide. its only for my own personal testing when I use vm's at home. We were able to create system images at work so dont need to use wpi. I am sorry for any confusion mis-information, etc.

Is using it to install windows updates against the license?