"The update does not apply to your system" Server 2008 x86

MrMaguire

Well, I tried it and it worked! I ran it from the extracted folder. I haven't tried to overwrite the preexisting files in attempt to "install" it.

Server_2003_RDP_7_Files.png

Server_2003_RDP_7.png

I'll have to check out that thing about the domain field later.

I also tried running it on Windows XP Pro x64, and it didn't work, it just opens the installed version, (Maybe it needs to be the actual 64bit version of RDC 7?) which is version 6.

When you connect to a remote computer running NT 6.x (Ex. Windows 7) from a XP machine with RDC 7, you are prompted to enter your user credentials before it actually connects and logs you on. But with RDC 7 running on Server 2003, it just connects to the remote logon screen, just like it would with RDC 6.

_____

As far as KB969084 for Vista goes, I have extracted the .MSU file before and I'll see if there are similar files that can be placed into a "en-us" folder and ran.

By the way, what is SFC?

"System File Checker" ;) There is no x64 version for XP AFAICT. I don't have an x64 XP running right now, but I believe you would have to -literally- overlay the ones in a -different- folder (can't remember offhand the -other- name) as x64 has x86 and x64 programs (etc) separated into different folders. You'll have to dig into that, unless someone else is willing to chime in and answer that. This may help understanding that -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

Also note the same (similar) procedure would be used  for v6.0/6.1 (x86) with the exception of renaming the following:

lhmstscx.dll-> mstscax.dll

aaclient.mui->aaclient..dll.mui (copy/move to the en-us folder)

lhmstsc.mui->lhmstsc.exe.mui (copy/move to the en-us folder)

lhmstscx.mui->mstscax.dll.mui (copy/move to the en-us folder)

HTH

Edited by submix8c

Amazing new discovery! I performed the same test as above, except I tried it on Windows Server 2008. And, it works!!

RDC_7_Server_2008_1.png

RDC_7_Server_2008_2.png

Will this work on 2008 x64? Well, I don't know, and I can't test it either. My guess is that it will behave the same way it does on XP Pro x64.

Unlike with Windows Server 2003, if you connect to a remote computer running NT 6.x, it will prompt you for your user credentials before connecting and logging on.

_______

Even though this is basically functional, I'd still like to see if the Vista version of the update can be adapted, that way it'll be installed properly.

(sigh...) You repeat my conclusions (except on Server2k8). And, as I said I do NOT have an x64 installation ATM. You can -install- the x64 version of 6.0 on your WinXPx64 then FIND where the files go to. The x64 one is for BOTH 2K3 -and- XP.

BTW, have you clicked on "Options" yet? It SPECIFICALLY states that "User Credentials" will need entered. ;)

Not having a Vista Installed ATM (i have a spare for the purpose of testing), I -also- will not be able to "isolate" wich files will need to go where for Server2k8.

I will -also- bet (yes, BET) that the exact same functionality will exist for the x64 version (v6.0) as the x86 version (v6.0). If you had looked at the WoW64 article (and any searches pertaining to the folder conventions), you -WILL- see how you -might- be able to "migrate- the x86 version (v7.0) to your XP-x64. I will ALSO bet (yes, bet) that the Vista-x86 (v7) works EXACTLY like the XP-x86 one!

So, what's the point? What do you gain? If it works, then USE it! Wasn't that the primary problem? :yes:

Edited by submix8c

I don't have a 64 bit test bed either. But that might change soon.

I did click on options: to me, it looks exactly the same in Server 2008 than it does in XP, Vista and Server 2003. I know about putting the domain netbios name before the username, but usually you don't have to do that. In certain cases (With XP based OS's), it will connect to the remote computer and take you to the remote logon screen, where you can log on. But with Vista and 7 based OS's, it will prompt the user for user account credentials before even connecting. I was just pointing out that it didn't seem to be the case with RDC 7 running from the extracted update file on Windows Server 2003

I know some about the WOW system that the x64 based versions of Windows use. I know that there are different folder conventions on the OS's. But, I'm pretty sure that the RDC files are located in the "WINDOWS" directory somewhere, maybe "System32"? I just find it interesting that the x64 based systems open the already installed version of RDC when the file is ran from the extracted Windows XP version of the update. Or at least it would seem that way.

Well, I can indeed use it, and I very much appreciate the help that I've gotten so far. And if I replace the files carefully, I may be able to "install" it, and make it run just like any other component integrated into the OS. But what I want to do is actually modify the Vista version of the update, so that it will install on a Server 2008 system. I think that would be a much cleaner solution that doesn't require hacking, and slashing the operating system. Plus, it will be much simpler to implement on fresh installs later on (Which I do a lot of).