"The update does not apply to your system" Server 2008 x86

MrMaguire

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I did have a look around about a month ago, and I liked the topics being discussed, so I thought that I would join and pose my own question.

I have a Windows Server 2008 x86 machine. Windows Server 2008 comes with the Remote Desktop Client ver. 6 by default, and so does Vista. Windows Vista was included in the release of the Remote Desktop Client ver. 7 back when it came out. KB article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084

However, Windows Server 2008 was not, which I believe is pretty typical of Windows Server. So, if you download the update for Vista and try to install it, it says: "The update does not apply to your system".

I would like to know if there is any way to 'force' (not sure if that's the word I want to use) the update to install, so I can use the newer version of the RDP client when I'm performing networked tasks.

I'm thinking maybe modifying the .msu update file in some way. Or using some command line black magic of some sort.

Update: Windows6.0-KB969084-x86.msu

Here's a shot of the error message I get:

MSTC_7_ERROR.png

- MrMaguire

Hmm, I seem to remember installing this update in Windows Vista Business SP2 x86, and it worked just fine.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

Vista_SP2_MSTSC_7.png

Installed_Update.png

And just to clarify, I am using Server 2008 SP2 with all of the available updates.

OT, but is his Profile picture even allowed :blink: . I mean his Profile picture is adolf hitler from south park.

Correct, it is a still from the South Park episode 'Pink Eye', from season one.

I have used this profile picture on other sites, and gotten barely any notice of it (one person quoted me a line from another episode). I don't know if it's against the forum rules to have a profile picture like this, because I didn't read them when I joined yesterday. But if it is, I'd be happy to swap it out for something a little more 'neutral' :).

I see no reason why the update doesn't install on a Server 2008. The update.mum doesn't include any Vista checks.

In that case, I'm wondering how exactly it determines that the OS isn't specifically Windows Vista. If you download the update for XP, and attempt to install it on Server 2003, you get a different, but similiar error. I have a Server 2003 ISO with integrated updates, and I'm pretty sure that it has this newer version of the RDP client. So, I'm thinking that there must be a difference in the way that updates are integrated into install media, and installed on a live system.

Welcome to MSFN!

Although it's really more-or-less gray area, since you're OK with changing it, I'd say "make it so"! :)

And, BTW, do read the Rules, it's also always a good idea. :yes:

Done :)

I hope you guys like Cadillacs :D

___

But seriously, I think I'm going to very much enjoy discussing topics related to Microsoft Windows :)

___

But seriously, I think I'm going to very much enjoy discussing topics related to Microsoft Windows :)

Welcome to MSFN :thumbup,

P.S I love southpark.

___

Welcome to MSFN :thumbup,

P.S I love southpark.

Yeah, me too :)