Mass hysteria on the interwebs!

Don't have anything running IE6 atm but I presume it's the same location.

paste -> regsvr32 -u "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll" into the run box & press OK

I have used Everything (which searches the whole hard drive, in seconds) and it didn't find vgx.dll. I have also manually looked at common files/microsoft shared/ and there is no vgx folder at all, so ... My installation is nLited, so maybe I've removed something which also removed "vgx" thing. EDIT: Yes, it's nLite, because I've just checked one of my backup images, which has nothing removed and there is "vgx" folder and vgx.dll. Solved, thank you both of you.

I do have VGX.DLL on my XP system with MSIE 6. According to the properties, this file implements Vector Graphics Rendering (VML), which is of no use to me, because it apparently is entirely separate from SVG, which the browser doesn't display anyway.

Even though I don't "use" MSIE6 to browse web pages, a HTML window is often included, in my opinion unnecessarily, into applications that are not browsers such as the WinRAR Self Extractor, to display formatted text or a license agreement. I suppose some of the browser's vulnerabilities could also be executed there.

Turns out there still is a reason to hate Internet Explorer. But the people in power can of course twist the reality and turn the hate towards XP.

I believe in the offline installer for Internet Explorer (at least 5 and 5.5), the VML component could just be unselected. I remember doing that before because I didn't recognize what it was for. Now of course, the standard is to install all components, thus expanding the attack surface.

Edited by j7n

Turns out there still is a reason to hate Internet Explorer. But the people in power can of course twist the reality and turn the hate towards XP.

They and the throng of shills buying into the FUD campaign, yeah.

"Don't say we didn't warn you! This is why you should have listened to us when we said buy the latest Windows version!!!"

... never mind that there are many other browser alternatives or that all versions of IE are presently vulnerable to the exploit ...

And, BTW, were it so dire, where, pray, is the out-of-band Security Update for those OSes not on EoS (POSReady 2009 and Win 2k3 among them)? I said it before: FUD... but I can say it again: FUD!

Another laugh for the day...article entitled 'Windows XP is a much gereater risk than heartbleed'

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-xp-is-a-much-greater-risk-than-heartbleed/

Quote from article above: "Keanini summed it up the pervasive threat of Windows XP: "Hunt down expired versions of XP and terminate it!"

So if one night you see a mob outside your window, carrying torches and pitchforks...you've been forewarned

Edited by the xt guy

Another laugh for the day...article entitled 'Windows XP is a much gereater risk than heartbleed'

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-xp-is-a-much-greater-risk-than-heartbleed/

I am surprised Tony Bradley (WHO?!?)

Full Bio

Tony Bradley is a principal analyst with Bradley Strategy Group. He is a respected authority on technology, and information security. He writes regularly for Forbes, and PCWorld, and contributes to a wide variety of online and print media outlets. He has authored or co-authored a number of books, including Unified Communications for Dummies, Essential Computer Security, and PCI Compliance.

And:

http://bradleystrategygroup.com/about/who-we-are/

has failed to talk (besides with Mr. TK Keanini, Mr. Tim Erlin and Mr. Scott Kinka) with the reknown expert Armand Gracious :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/127283-experts-say/

;)

jaclaz

I am surprised Tony Bradley (WHO?!?) has failed to talk (besides with Mr. TK Keanini, Mr. Tim Erlin and Mr. Scott Kinka) with the reknown expert Armand Gracious :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/127283-experts-say/

Armand Gracious... from the future. :)

Well, I guess that, if consulted, Mr. Gracious would certainly have told us something along the following lines:

"There are many vulnerabilities in Win XP, which have not been discovered yet and for which existence there is no proof whatsoever, but, then again, this is no reason to feel complacent about it. Of course, most of those vulnerabilities have been carried over to Vista and thence to 7 - 8.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1..., in addition to newer ones, unique to those later systems, which, sooner or later, might see the light of day, despite the nooks and crannies of code they lurk within."

:angel

I'm shocked. MS releases an XP update after EOL. This should really annoy all the doomsayers.