In reply to Den's USB sticky

vipejc

I checked all my USB drivers in XP. A few are not the most recent versions. The potential problem is if I install those hotfixes, it could place the newest file version for one driver on my system, but then if I have the newest file version of another driver in that hotfix already on my system, will the installer be smart enough to update only the older drivers on my system to the latest file versions, or will it also replace my newest file versions with the older file versions in the hotfix? Also, higher file versions don't always mean newer files, which complicates things.

Rest assured that the installer is smart enough to update only files which are of lower version than those in the hotfix being installed. Moreover, in this present case, higher versions do mean newer versions, alright, although that is not always necessarily true, as you said. Now, in fact, if your machine's XP SP3 is up-to-date according to MS update, you'll need just two hotfixes to have all the most up-to-date files installed: KB948101-v3 and KB2828030, which are both by request. BTW, I retract the note of caution I added in the 3rd post. Those issues were caused by badly seated RAM sticks in my machine, and never reappeared after I fixed that.

You ask by the KB number only. What you get in return will be marked v3. Try using this form.

In case you're offered many alternatives, pick up the one having the most recent date.

If, perchance, you get v4, meaning they released yet a further one, be sure to tell me.

This just gets more confusing. There's two versions of KB948101 available for download. One says for SP3 and the other says SP4. Uh, XP doesn't have a SP4. The SP4 file is newer. Which do I choose?

As I said before:

In case you're offered many alternatives, pick up the one having the most recent date.

Hence, choose the sp4.

Oh, okay your advice included SP levels and not just KB updates. Does all the different versions of this update update the same files to newer files? I can't find file information for any versions other than the original.

MS usually (but not always) releases a KB page for each update/hotfix at most. Then, when and if they ever get updated to v2, v3, v4, ..., vn, MS usually (but not always) stays mum about them. The updated versions of updates/hotfixes usually contain at least one updated file, relative to the original updates/hotfixes, and no additional files, beyond those that already existed in the original updates/hotfixes. Exceptions, there are some. Then again, it's said that exceptions do confirm their rules...