Windows PE 3.1 and newer with Windows XP

vipejc

I know Windows PE 3.0 works with Windows XP, but what about the newer Windows PE 3.1 to 5.1? If Windows PE support is discontinued for Windows XP, what's the last supported version? Microsoft has a habit of not telling people that older operating systems still work with newer tools.

Edited by vipejc

You know, this came up before. I am testing a WinPE5 image with all our hardware now, with the intention of replacing the WinPE4 image. If our XP and DOS images do not deploy, it will be a problem. I suspect it will come down to how we are using it.

For example, what applications are you running? Are you using DISM or Imagex or something else? And even if this is the case, why couldn't you just use one of the older binaries instead?

You know, this came up before. I am testing a WinPE5 image with all our hardware now, with the intention of replacing the WinPE4 image. If our XP and DOS images do not deploy, it will be a problem. I suspect it will come down to how we are using it.

For example, what applications are you running? Are you using DISM or Imagex or something else? And even if this is the case, why couldn't you just use one of the older binaries instead?

After 4 hours or so of tough research, I found the answer. Windows PE 3.1 is the last version for Windows XP. Windows PE 4.0 supposedly won't run on a system with a CPU that doesn't support NX, PAE, or SSE2. Could you confirm this, Trip? Why can't Microsoft just be intelligent and say that? Just because they cut XP support, doesn't mean Microsoft should stop telling people if newer programs and tools support XP. I really can't stand stupid!

This has nothing to do with "supporting" XP, it's all about hardware, NOT OS.

jaclaz

If your Windows XP installation uses hardware PE 4.0 and up doesn't support, it becomes an OS issue.

If your Windows XP installation uses hardware PE 4.0 and up doesn't support, it becomes an OS issue.

Sure :), and if my grandpa had 5 (steel ;)) balls he would have been a pinball.

jaclaz

XP installations run on legacy hardware and since Windows PE 4.0 uses Windows 8 code, the chance it'll work is slim.

Edited by vipejc

Windows PE 4.0 supposedly won't run on a system with a CPU that doesn't support NX, PAE, or SSE2. Could you confirm this, Trip?

WinPE should follow the basic system requirements of the OS it was created from. So for WinPE4/5, it would match the CPU requirements of Windows 8. So I think you would be correct.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/system-requirements

Obviously the other reqs are invalid, although you probably do need 1GB for a 64bit PE4/5 to function properly.

Windows PE 4.0 supposedly won't run on a system with a CPU that doesn't support NX, PAE, or SSE2. Could you confirm this, Trip?

WinPE should follow the basic system requirements of the OS it was created from. So for WinPE4/5, it would match the CPU requirements of Windows 8. So I think you would be correct.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/system-requirements

Obviously the other reqs are invalid, although you probably do need 1GB for a 64bit PE4/5 to function properly.

Yeah, just to be safe, I'm sticking with PE 3.1 because it's compatible with all my hardware and I don't want to risk problems just to get some useless new features.