Problem with multiple boot menu

ectavares

This is supplementary to my previous post.

I have noticed that the extended partition is not large enough to reduce to make neccessary space, so instead, you can reduce the primary partition or just delete the extended partition since the presently installed W98 is going to be abandoned anyway.

The following is an alternate method to create a W98 boot sector file which does not require use of Windows Support Tools, and may be easier to follow. The boot sector file is neccessary to use the WXP Boot Manager:

1) Open Notepad and enter the following exactly as shown:

L 100 2 0 1

N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS

R BX

R CX

W

Q

2) Save the above in the W98 Startup FD as READ.SCR

3) Complete installing W98 in a newly created PRIMARY partition as per option 2 in my previous post.

2) Boot to the W98 Startup FD and execute the following at A:> prompt:

DEBUG <READ.SCR

3) Copy BOOTSECT.DOS at the root of C: to a floppy disk. (BOOTSECT.DOS is created in the step 2)above )

4) Set the WXP partition active by FDISK or a disk utility you may have. And restart PC to boot WXP.

5) Copy BOOTSECT.DOS from the above FD to the root of C:

6) Edit the contents of BOOT.INI file to be as follows:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\BOOTSECT.DOS="Microsoft Windows 98"

That's it. When pc starts you will see os options menu a la dual boot system created by option 1. as described in my previous post.

Remember that solution option 1 automatically set up a dual boot system utilizing WXP boot manager. But with the dual os installations by the solution option 2, use of the WXP boot manager is NOT mandatory and switching OS between the two can be done as described in my previous post if one so prefers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had a simular issue on my new laptop. I had to reinstall win xp home. totally deleted the partition and created a new one. Now when i boot i get the multiple OS boot options. which only the top one works. Unlike the advice you gave others with this issue i cannot find a boot.ini file. I done a full search and nothing came up.

any suggestions on getting rid of the one that doesn't work without having to reinstall again.

Thanks

Steve

Because boot.ini is one of those hidden files. You can unhide it by:

Right-click "My Computer" -> Explorer -> Tools -> Foflder Optins -> View

Then select "Show hidden files and folders"(Put a dot).

Alternatively, you can see and edit the contents of boot.ini without doing the above as follows:

Right-click "My Computer" -> Property -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery/Settings -> Edit

kaz