Why does MS Marketing Still Try To Mislead Everyone?

NoelC

Why? With Big Muscle's tool to restore translucency and a theme atlas to restore drop shadows it's fine. My Windows 8.1 desktop experience isn't really worse than with Win 7 Aero.

That's not to say Microsoft isn't trying to make it worse. But so far 3rd party developers have been able to compensate for Microsoft's deviousness in actively hobbling the desktop in order to try to get people to love Metro/Modern. That may not be possible forever.

-Noel

there is difference between hack and slash something to "restore" something

and providing something natively

if this is the case of your Aero

then XP had it too, Stardock provided it with its own engine that was slapping itself onto uxtheme

others like Komalo, TrueTransparency and ViSplore also hacked and slashed their own apps and provided it

does that mean XP had Aero ?

Edited by vinifera

Xp was never a good UI. I always hated it. The Vista/7 UI is 1000 times better.

The BASE system components of Vista/7 also consume 1.5x - 4x more memory than XP, and buggy as hell.

It's not that its M$ misleading people, but companies in general. People will do anything to get an extra couple bucks.

Hence fraud... people usually went to jail / prison for this shit back in the day. If you can't be 100% honest about a product, then you shouldn't be selling / offering it, period.

The Aero implementation is still there. DWM is still present. In fact, desktop composition is now the ONLY way it works, opposed to the Classic theme of Win 7, which turned off desktop composition. It's Aero GLASS that's no longer implemented, strictly because Microsoft decided it would be better for them if they started trying to herd people to Metro/Modern. I'm sorry to pick apart terminology, but getting it wrong doesn't help make any points. I'm not opposing your viewpoint that Microsoft is going in the wrong direction - I share it.

As much of Aero as is still there may imply Microsoft doesn't even have the talent to remove entire features any more.

-Noel

Doing even small changes can be painful in a large project, it's all about how it was programmed. But Microsoft is recycling code since... DOS? I Wonder how messy the code is, actually.

Edited by pichorra

if this is the case of your Aero

then XP had it too, Stardock provided it with its own engine that was slapping itself onto uxtheme

others like Komalo, TrueTransparency and ViSplore also hacked and slashed their own apps and provided it

does that mean XP had Aero ?

Sure. In that case, Windows 95 and 98 have Aero as well. :P

not to mention that we are all worng regarding Aero

but the term has been often replaced with real one so ...

the truth is that Aero was name for new user interface, glass has nothing to do with it :P

proof lying as early as Longhorn build 4039,

the first leaked build that contained full working DWM

Aero express, had Opaque (filled) window borders, but UI was still rendered via GPU

while Aero (full) had Glass enabled

next time this was seen in Vista beta 1 build 5112

if you install nVidia LDDM test drivers, you will be presented with

again Aero Express and Aero Full

but oh well ...

Edited by vinifera

I was not wrong.

Thing is, many folks don't sense the subtle differences between an old style non-composited desktop and what Windows is presenting now because it's been a long time since we've had computers slow enough that we could see the actual window pixels being painted in. Remember when, on a pre DWM setup, you'd see all the controls flicker as you were resizing a window and they were all repainted before your very eyes?

Many folks believe Microsoft when they say they removed Aero GLASS to save resources, when almost all of the activity is still there just to paint flat, lifeless, "digitally authentic" UI elements. One really needs hip boots mow to deal with all the Marketing speak.

-Noel

I was not wrong.

Thing is, many folks don't sense the subtle differences between an old style non-composited desktop and what Windows is presenting now because it's been a long time since we've had computers slow enough that we could see the actual window pixels being painted in. Remember when, on a pre DWM setup, you'd see all the controls flicker as you were resizing a window and they were all repainted before your very eyes?

Many folks believe Microsoft when they say they removed Aero GLASS to save resources, when almost all of the activity is still there just to paint flat, lifeless, "digitally authentic" UI elements. One really needs hip boots mow to deal with all the Marketing speak.

-Noel

That's interesting. My understanding all along was that saving resources on cr*ppy mobile devices (never mind the billions of desktop PCs out there) was the whole purpose for removing Aero Glass, and that the bit about abandoning "skeuomorphism" was just an after-the-fact rationalization for public consumption.

If not for saving resources on mobile devices, then what earthly reason could there be for removing Aero Glass?

(Note: I'm not being argumentative, just asking sincerely, and above all trying to understand what Microsoft's rationale could possibly be.)

--JorgeA

EDIT: typo, clarification

Edited by JorgeA