XP OS vulnerabilities after April 8, 2014

vipejc

SEE??? You speak of OPEN ports! I specifically was stating CLOSED ports!

No, if the port is open it will respond. You don't 'stealth' open ports.

ex: You can't stealth port 80 with your apache service. You can't stealth port 80 with your Chrome service. The OS does not make the distinction. Any security in terms of isolating traffic is at the application layer.

And then you get to DNS and DHCP etc, various listening ports that also defeat this purpose.

Either way, this is mostly for LAN attacks where the attacker is attempting to acclimate themselves to the local network. Even if stealthed ports worked the way people believe they do (and they don't). That's the whole "hide me from attackers" thing.

Attacks like these only exist on corporate networks for the most part. You gain LAN access and then query the local domain for other hosts using nmap scans. Knowledge of IPs is irrelevant, the gateway has them (of course) and you're scanning that. I've done this to map a network, it's very helpful.

For users your attack is far far far more likely to occur at a compromised webpage, where stealth ports will very obviously have literally no effect whatsoever, even if they *did* work the way people believe they do.

This is wayyyy off topic though lol I mostly just wanted to point out this issue as a side note to the real problem - that people think XP can be secure.

That said, I mostly was killing time on a long and very boring bus ride. It's been very nice talking, but I think we can all just agree to disagree, as always :P . See you next time I stumble across here with some time on my hands, perhaps.

WHAT IF ALL SERVICE PORTS ARE CLOSED? (duh!) I had SPECIFICALLY set this (in the SW Firewall) when I was NOT using a Router (RoadRunner Direct Cable Connect) -and- had NO WWW/FTP. GRC Test yelded NO RESPONSE ANYWHERE (no port response - all Green)!Please tell me I'm wrong again. (P.S. When I initiate a WWW access via Browser it's... OUTBOUND!)

Your problem here is you keep looking at things from a Server (WWW/FTP/DNS/DHCP) perspective and not a Client/User (i.e Home Consumer) perspective.

See you next time you feel the need to /redacted/ perhaps.

edit - Magic!

I set...

Stealth Mode + Block Ping + Strict UDP Session Control = ON in the ATT Router, went to GRC and...

All but Port#21+80 (Blue=Open) are Green (packets dropped/no ACK). Note that those ports are Port Fowarded -and- the SW Firewall is -not- being stealthed. YAY! It DOES work that way! :yes: I have absolutely -no- desire to set up on another PC ATM a NetZero and use DialUp to test access to my FTP/WWW, thank you. BETTING that it will work just fine because... AFTER starting WWW (Port#80) GRC reports the Port as RED=OPEN. The ONLY "wierd" part is on PC#2 (no services/ports opened) the same result, so guessing a SECONDARY SW Firewall -or- Router w/Stealth for other PC's (in the LAN)  -and- turned on would "stealth" them (within the LAN). So... only my External IP is being provided on those ports and the ports are Forwarded to the Server. Strange, no? Guess Stealth doesn't work. Oh, BTW I'm also betting that the Routers are set up like this -

http://beginlinux.com/blog/2009/06/building-a-stealth-firewall/

Edited by submix8c

Well, I wasn't really being serious what I said about linux. Just so you know :-) It was sorta just the heat of the moment.

Anyways, sorry about that, guys! :-)

So, please excuse my "uncalled for", "gratuitious", "unbecoming" and "failed-to-meet-Jaclaz's-expectations" comments from posts #84 and #86 above.

Now, back to having fun, and posting youtube videos! (I hope)

Edited by LostInSpace2012

We all have those moments ... especially politicians !

Glad to see you were able to get the oxygen feed back to normal and have had a full recovery ...

Outer Space isn't much fun without a good supply of the basics ... including oxygen.

Well, I wasn't really being serious what I said about linux. Just so you know :-) It was sorta just the heat of the moment.

Anyways, sorry about that, guys! :-)

So, please excuse my "uncalled for", "gratuitious", "unbecoming" and "failed-to-meet-Jaclaz's-expectations" comments from posts #84 and #86 above.

Now, back to having fun, and posting youtube videos! (I hope)

Your apology is accepted, for I knew you did not mean it.

Most of the problems are caused by folks browsing random web sites as administrator! 

That's a typical PEBKAC issue there.....

When using a highly privileged account, all you have to do is click on an ad and then wham! Windows is compromised! 

Edited by RJARRRPCGP