1. StarMan (Jeff Bridges, Karan Allen)

2. Pitch Black (Vin Deisel)

3. Communion (Christopher Walken)

4. Zardoz (Sean Connery)

5. The Omega Man (Charleton Heston)

6. Soylent Green (Charleton Heston)

7. Space Rage (Richard Farnsworth)

8. Cyborg (Jean Claude Van Damme)

9. The Bride of Frankenstein (okay, it's "horror," and it is held in critical esteem, but it could pass as sci-fi I think)

10. Fire in the Sky

what are your guys', if any?

Edited by LostInSpace2012

Soylent Greens ........was my favorite movie. This is like a world without AIDS basically. The scene with the giant truck, flatting the person, and flipping them up like a burger says it all. My favorite scene is the house of the collector/scolor/ researcher, where the detective robbed out the dead mans house, of his literature, meat, and drink. Even took advantage of cleaning himself with the materials ( like if he had never been washed in years ). Then when they get the meat, they make a "beef stew" like if they were hobo's. That is how funny the world could look like one day. To make things even more messed up, I love the way the term "furniture" was used, through the whole film.

You have that midget pimp, landlord, scolding them. Then later the new tenant arrived, and scolded them again. That is how the world can be for some people. Especially on island nations, and some lesser known nations, where living in a one bedroom apartment, is like living inside of a house, and outside waiting are a bunch of wayward bums, with no self respect. It is a whole ClockWork Orange thing going on, but backwards. I wish the "furniture" in our world, would get with the program.

Speaking of which, I love Blade Runner. It was released in box offices, and failed, but as a VHS movie, it was a hit. For the lovers of "Pulp" "sexploitation" and stuff meant for men mostly. I love this movie so much, they wanted life, and all they got was death. I also love the many works that falls into the "Cyberpunk" genre.

Edited by ROTS

I like the theatrical cut of Blade Runner.... it's the one with the voice-over from Harrison Ford, and it has the happy ending. I got it on VHS. I don't know if that version is available on DVD or Blue Ray.

You've made me want to go watch it now :-)

Oh yes, I remember Zardoz: "The gun is good; the penis is evil". Not one of John Boorman's best, but an interesting distopia. Soylent Green is fantastic, but could hardly be said to be 'underrated'. Plenty of people have seen it.

The movie I keep returning to whenever forgotten sci-fi films are discussed is They Live, directed by John Carpenter. "A drifter discovers a pair of sunglasses that allow him to wake up to the fact that aliens have taken over the Earth. Wearing them, he is able to see the world as it really is: people being bombarded by media and the government with messages such as 'Stay Asleep', 'No Imagination', 'Submit to Authority'. Currency notes appear as white pieces of paper bearing the phrase, 'This is Your God'."

Superbly metaphorical for the present day, it is one of those cult films you rant about long after everyone else has moved on to extolling the special effects in Gravity.

Edited by lost_packet

Screamers (1995)

Split Second (I cry as there is no HD version of this, great movie)

Event Horizon (even if popular many misunderstood this film, as in too much christianity crap comparison while movie has nothing to do with it)

Sphere (another misunderstood movie, people take story too literal in "what I saw it is", while its deeper, much deeper)

Dark City

Edited by vinifera

The Cube series was pretty good. (Cube, Hypercube, Cube Zero)

I'd take 1 and 2, cube zero was disaster

1 being most mysterious

2 having the mystery about time chaos

unfortunately CZ was screw up, they could have made so much better sequels

imagine merge of cube 1, 2 and add another crew of cube 3, a true multi dimensional cube

with a bit more money invested they could had hired good CGI crew to montage parts from 1 & 2 into 3

Edited by vinifera

I liked CZ for its dystopian view, otherwise I'd agree with you. And it explains how a savant found his way into the first Cube.

About the film budgets: All three films were made in Canada (the first and last more so than the second), where they could be made far cheaper than here in the United States.

Edited by 5eraph