How Do I Enable Windows XP Internet Games in Windows 8.1

dhjohns

SolOnWin81.png

SolitaireOnWin10.png

It's been a while, but as I recall I had to copy the 32 bit game files from a Win 7 system, put a CardGames.dll found in the WIn 7 system32 folder in the folder with the game, and patch the executable per instructions on howtogeek.com or some place like that.  It was a very small patch.

A quick search turned up this...  I think these are the instructions I followed:

http://www.howtogeek.com/122145/what-happened-to-solitaire-and-minesweeper-in-windows-8/

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@NoelC

There are known ways to have the Windows 7 games (local or Internet) working in 8/8.1, as andreaborman posted just above your post.

The issue here are XP Internet Games (that can be made to work on Windows 7) that seemingly cannot be made to work on Windows 8/8.1.

jaclaz

Do you know about Microsoft App-V and how to use it? Then it's pretty easy. I got the XP internet games to work by sequencing them on Windows XP Professional and installed the App-V client on Windows 8 and got them running. The catch however is that every time a new release of Windows comes out, the App-V client will have to be updated and the app sequenced again and MSI generated again to target the new OS. To sequence them on XP, first uninstall them from Optional Components, start the sequencing and let it monitor and install them. Even if it's an INF-based installation, it will be captured properly.

I did that specifically for Internet Hearts and Internet Reversi since Windows 7 omits them. :)

Edited by xpclient

Do you know about Microsoft App-V and how to use it? Then it's pretty easy. I got the XP internet games to work by sequencing them on Windows XP Professional and installed the App-V client on Windows 8 and got them running. The catch however is that every time a new release of Windows comes out, the App-V client will have to be updated and the app sequenced again and MSI generated again to target the new OS. To sequence them on XP, first uninstall them from Optional Components, start the sequencing and let it monitor and install them. Even if it's an INF-based installation, it will be captured properly.

I did that specifically for Internet Hearts and Internet Reversi since Windows 7 omits them. :)

Well, it is very easy to run Internet Hearts, and Reversi natively in Windows 7.  But with the later operating systems I have not had any luck.  In answer to your question, I do not know what App-V is.  I have heard of Hyper-V.  What I want is a way to run Reversi natively in Windows 10 as I can do with Windows 7.

It seems as if no one truly understands what I am trying to accomplish.  It is NOT a problem to run Windows 7 games on Windows 10.  It is NOT a problem to run SOME of the Windows XP games on Windows 10.  It is NOT a problem to run EVERY Windows XP game INCLUDING the INTERNET games on Windows 7.  IT IS A PROBLEM to run Windows XP INTERNET games on Windows 8/8.1 and 10.

I want to run Windows XP internet games on Windows 10.  I can run everything else.  Thank you.

No disrespect intended, but just because that is what you want doesn't mean that you will be able to do it, no matter how much you insist that is the only thing you are interested in.  Even though this thread has existed for over a year, no one has been able to come up with a useful suggestion for you.  I suppose that those games might be able to be run if installed in a VM of XP, but again you insist that you only want to run them natively.  ( You have been borderline belligerent about it. )  You might be forced to reluctantly admit defeat and take up a different game or a different OS. :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

@bhplt

To be fair, it is only too normal that someone that starts a thread titled:

is expecting (of course if it is actually possible) to have answers related to "Windows XP Internet Games in Windows 8.1" and not to "Windows 7 NON-Internet games on Windows 8.1"

And, still to be fair, had the thread been titled "How to run XP Reversi (internet game) on Windows 8.1 natively " it would have been much less likely that someone, in good faith and by mistake would have posted "Here is how I make Solitaire from Windows 7 on 8.1" or "What about setting up a virtualization environment"?

But everyone here is trying to help :) some other member to solve this or that problem, one way or the other, sometimes a misunderstanding happens, and there is really no need of making a mountain out a of a molehill.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@bhplt

To be fair, it is only too normal that someone that starts a thread titled:

is expecting (of course if it is actually possible) to have answers related to "Windows XP Internet Games in Windows 8.1" and not to "Windows 7 NON-Internet games on Windows 8.1"

And, still to be fair, had the thread been titled "How to run XP Reversi (internet game) on Windows 8.1 natively " it would have been much less likely that someone, in good faith and by mistake would have posted "Here is how I make Solitaire from Windows 7 on 8.1" or "What about setting up a virtualization environment"?

But everyone here is trying to help :) some other member to solve this or that problem, one way or the other, sometimes a misunderstanding happens, and there is really no need of making a mountain out a of a molehill.

jaclaz

I was just trying to clarify.  The title makes perfect sense to me.

It seems as if no one truly understands what I am trying to accomplish.  It is NOT a problem to run Windows 7 games on Windows 10.  It is NOT a problem to run SOME of the Windows XP games on Windows 10.  It is NOT a problem to run EVERY Windows XP game INCLUDING the INTERNET games on Windows 7.  IT IS A PROBLEM to run Windows XP INTERNET games on Windows 8/8.1 and 10.

I want to run Windows XP internet games on Windows 10.  I can run everything else.  Thank you.

I understood what you are trying to accomplish and told you how to do it too. I KNOW XP Internet Games run natively on Windows 7 but not on Windows 8, I wrote that Winaero article too. It's not my fault you aren't aware of App-V and I've no time to explain the whole App-V product to you here in a few words and how it easily accomplished this for me (running XP Internet Games on Windows 8/8.1). Google it and learn it please. The App-V solution works on either OS, Windows 7 or 8 or whatever the App-V client is supported on. It doesn't run natively but it isn't full Windows OS virtualization either - you don't need to install any copy of Windows inside an existing Windows.

App-V is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance. It is not a full machine/OS virtualization product like Hyper-V. It's about isolating applications by virtualizing the file system and Registry. The procedure is too long to explain - how you sequence, how to generate the MSI. It's easier to use it and learn it yourself. :) I've told you one working solution. Using it I even managed to run Windows Media Player 10 from XP on Windows 8 and 7.

Edited by xpclient

But everyone here is trying to help :)

Yes, I understood that what I wrote is not exactly what dhjohns was looking for.  It's just that sometimes seemingly loosely related information can lead one to have a light bulb go on.  One of the great powers of the internet is that discussion often sparks understanding.

Since someone had mentioned the Win 7 internet games I figured I'd mention the non-internet games for completeness, and to add the knowledge that the hack applies to Win 10 as well.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

App-V is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance.

...which was not - last time I checked - anything available to a "final user" unless he/she is a subscriber of "Software Assurance":

http://stealthpuppy.com/app-v-faq-3-how-is-app-v-licensed/

as it is unlikely that saud "final user" has an agreement for a Volume License:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb899442

I am pretty sure that the result of going here with Internet Explorer 7 or higher (aren't the good MS guys real geniuses in making a way for possible new customers only accessible through their own browser? :unsure:):

http://mla.microsoft.com/default.aspx

will result in several (many) bucks changing hands, provided that the final user is "eligible" for this form of license.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

I understood what you are trying to accomplish and told you how to do it too. I KNOW XP Internet Games run natively on Windows 7 but not on Windows 8, I wrote that Winaero article too. It's not my fault you aren't aware of App-V and I've no time to explain the whole App-V product to you here in a few words and how it easily accomplished this for me (running XP Internet Games on Windows 8/8.1). Google it and learn it please. The App-V solution works on either OS, Windows 7 or 8 or whatever the App-V client is supported on. It doesn't run natively but it isn't full Windows OS virtualization either - you don't need to install any copy of Windows inside an existing Windows.

App-V is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance. It is not a full machine/OS virtualization product like Hyper-V. It's about isolating applications by virtualizing the file system and Registry. The procedure is too long to explain - how you sequence, how to generate the MSI. It's easier to use it and learn it yourself. :) I've told you one working solution. Using it I even managed to run Windows Media Player 10 from XP on Windows 8 and 7.

I don't know what App-V is and I have never heard of it before you told us here. But I Google it and from what it says on the Microsoft Website, it seems that it is another alternative to Virtual PC the same as Hyper V is on Windows 8. In which you can run virtual OS's such as earlier versions of Windows.

I have tried the Internet games from Windows 7 on Windows 8, but since Monday they have stopped working for me. I keep on getting an error message saying "Cannot Connect ,network Error" I have had this since Monday when I new updates from Windows Update on 8. So I think it could be that one of my updates may have now disable W7 Internet Games. I know sometimes Microsoft make certain updates that disable certain features on Windows 7 and 8 that we have imported from Windows XP and older versions of Windows. Though that may not be the problem.

As for MSN Gaming Zone from XP(Windows XP Internet Games) Yes they do work on Windows 7, Windows Vista as well as on Windows Server 2008 which is based on Windows Vista. As long as you first add that registry key from Windows XP before you run the games for the first time.

But they don't work at all on Windows 8 despite the fact that I ran that Reg. Key several times, I could not get them to run. So it must be that the registry keys for that are different on 8 to what they are on Windows 7. The MSN XP Games work on every later version OS I have tried except for Windows 8. 

It's only a shame that website is not in English since we cannot tel the author to find a registry key for Windows 8 to get the games to work. As I don't speak or understand Romanian. And you can get WMp 9 running on Windows 7 and 8 using Resourse Hacker to edit the WMP installer files. So I am sure you can do the same for WMP 10.

I found this video on You Tube that shows you how to get Windows Media Player 9, WMP9, working on Windows 7. I tried it myself and it works on Windows 8. The OP of that video used Resource Hacker to edit the WMP9 installer file which I think could work for WMP10. To run it on Windows 7 or 8 that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp7qmclz5fI

Edited by andreaborman