Anyone using UDC get reboot loops? expertreviews.co.uk says so.

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced a reboot loop when installing XP due to using the WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KBxxxxxx-x86-ENU.cabs the UDC makes?

• YES
    • NO

EDIT: I've added a poll. Please vote but first read the following so you understand.

Has anyone who has ever tried my Updates Downloader, Checker and Add-on Creator (UDC) experienced a reboot loop when rebooting to GUI mode?

Expert Reviews wrote an article,  How to slipstream an XP disc with SP3 and all other updates using the UDC and nLite. In the article, the author says to not use the Windows Media Player update CABs the UDC makes or you'll get stuck in a reboot loop.

Files in question:
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB2378111-x86-ENU.cab
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB2803821-v2-x86-ENU.cab
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.cab
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB954155-x86-ENU.cab
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ENU.cab
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-ENU-fix.cab
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB978695-x86-ENU.cab

I've been talking to him about correcting the article to no avail. His starting CD is XP SP3 from MSDN and he uses VirtualBox to test, just like me. He's even tried it on a real PC with same results.

Extract the Zip file, go into the UDC folder and run the latest UDC batch file. Follow the on-screen instructions, ignoring the warning about Nlite (we'll come to that next) and the file will download all of the updates to the current folder. It will take a while, so leave it to do its job. When completed, the window will go green. Delete the files that start WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KBxxxxxx-x86-ENU.cab (Windows Media updates), otherwise you may find that XP gets stuck in an installation loop. We'll show you how to download and copy the right files to your new install disc later.

(my bold)

<snip>

STEP 4 - PICK XP INSTALLATION

Click Next and you'll be asked to provide the location of your Windows disc. This can either be an ISO file or you can just put your XP installation disc into your PC and browse to the drive.

Click OK and you'll be prompted to select a folder to store the temporary files in. We created a folder called XP in the C: drive. Click OK, and the XP files will be copied to the temporary folder and Nlite will show you which version of XP you have and the Servicer Pack version (if any) included. Browse to the folder you created and, inside it, create a new folder called Media Updates. Download the following files into this folder, so that you can run these Media updates manually later:

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB2803821-v2-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB2378111-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB978695-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-ENU-fix.exe
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB954155-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe

(my bold)

​I've been doing test runs since mid 2009 and have never, ever seen this. I also have never had anyone ever bring this issue up.

So, I ask again. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Edited by -X-

Possibly completely unrelated :w00t:, but I seem to remember that a MSDN XP (with SP3 already integrated) is slightly different from a Gold, SP1 or SP2 CD with SP3 integrated later. :unsure:
I cannot actually find this reference anywhere. :(
You could ask which specific MSDN release he is using:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/123508-known-part-numbers-of-windows-xp-with-sp3-cds/

jaclaz

No, as said it is a vague :ph34r: reminiscence, but it was not connected to the N version, it was just something (that still completely eludes me :blushing: ) about some differences between a version coming from MS with the already integrated SP3 and the result of applying SP3 to a previous version. :unsure:

jaclaz

Just did. The first page at least.

All user error related. Nothing about anyone having problems with the CABs the UDC makes.

@jaclaz - it -may- have something to do with some "long filename(s)" that get integrated, meaning you -must- also use Joliette (the names are used during GUI-mode, accessing Joliette indices/names). Pre-integrated doesn't suffer that affliction (all short names, so Joliette is unnecessary).

@-X- - Did he mention which -SP version- of XP he started with? I don't see that in the Twitter convo, only that he said something about MSDN (SP3) being different, and the -only- thing different betwen MSDN versions and Retail/OEM(generic)/OEM(specific) are those "special" files. It appears that SP2/SP3 includes MP9, so -maybe- nuhi inadvertantly incorporated a "glitch" during the attempt to directly integrate. :unsure:

So... I don't get it either...

OK, then... No problem here (SP3 pre-integrated, both Home and Pro, depending on the original OS). I've reloaded several after using the prior version of nLite and the UDC script downloads.

So, one might question the author's suggestion of Integrating SP3 with UDC and having failures when they, personally, begin with SP3. :huh: And noting the used the latest nLite. :unsure: To repeat - MSDN -is- retail -unless- it's the Volume -and- as I said the -only- differences is the -special- files (both Home and Pro, but -only- Pro AFAIK is/was on MSDN), of which nLite is totally unaware of.

The whole idea behind the CAB files was specifically to circumvent the "problems" nLite had with mult-version Update Packs, true? :yes:

Perhaps they should be redirected to MSFN, particularly this thread. :unsure:

Edited by submix8c

The whole idea behind the CAB files was specifically to circumvent the "problems" nLite had with mult-version Update Packs, true? :yes:

Yes, because of the way nLite works, automatically put the highest version number of a file found, would break WMP 9 or even WMP 10.

I asked nuhi to fix this and he kinda did in v1.4.9.2 or v1.4.9.3 by making all WMP run the full installers at t-13. He will add detection of WMP being used on next version.

Until then, the UDC will turn the updates into true slipstream CABs.

• 3 weeks later...