enable AHCI after XP install

Hi,

I followed some advices I was looking for but when enabling AHCI in Bios I always get a BSOD.

My motherboad is a MSI Intel H81M-E33 v2.

Intel provides no driver for H81 chipset but they say we could use drivers for Series 6-7 on our risk.

There are many controllers there... which one should I install...

I tried a few but always BSODs.

I know you would say I should get new Windows. I already have Windows 7 but sometimes I'd like to play some old games which only work on XP and I have dual boot.

Switching IDE-AHCI and viceversa in Bios is very annoying.

Thanks in advance for looking an eye on this!

intze

I followed some advices I was looking for but when enabling AHCI in Bios I always get a BSOD.

WHICH advices?

Link, please.

My motherboad is a MSI Intel H81M-E33 v2.

Intel provides no driver for H81 chipset but they say we could use drivers for Series 6-7 on our risk.

There are many controllers there... which one should I install...

I tried a few but always BSODs.

HOW exactly did you try to enable those drivers?

Adding a AHCI driver to an offline windows is not something easy-peasy, and the method/tool used may make a change.

Generically, the manual procedure is this one:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?444831-HOWTO-enable-AHCI-mode-after-installing-Windows

But there are tools to be used from a PE or other instance of NT OS.

jaclaz

I added the AHCI driver only to the online Windows...

I tried this method but surely used other drivers as this one was for a Gigabyte P35-DS4 (ICH9R) and mine is H81... probably the .reg file was not appropriate... can you please tell me what to change as I am not an expert.

Another link: http://www.blah-blah.ch/it/how-to-s/enable-ahci/ , (for ICH10).

A few more but basically it was the same idea.

After getting the BSODs reverted to IDE in Bios and loaded the 'last known good configuration'.

I have also an updated image as a backup....

Thank you,

intze

incredible, it worked without reinstalling anything!!

thanks a lot jaclaz and condor and especially Fernando who issued the driver! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

here's how I did it:

1. downloaded his driver for 8 series chipsets,

2. copied the .sys file to Systems32\drivers.

3. saved the .reg file, added the information

4. updated all drivers using the have disk option (controller, secondary and primary, in this order).

5. entered BIOS and enabled AHCI

6. found new hardware and windows installing the "Intel® 8 Series/C220 Series SATA AHCI Controller - 8C02" using the Fernando's driver.

I have also noticed a huge performance increase in addition to the fact there's no need to switch any more between AHCI and IDE modes.

:thumbup:yes: :yes: :yes:

Happy Easter!!!

http://www.win-raid.com/t22f23-Integration-of-Intels-AHCI-RAID-drivers-into-a-Windows-XP-CD.html

driver at 1.c) section as I had an 8 Series motherboard.

as I didn't want to create a new disk in order to install XP from the beginning I used a mix of the above 2 options...

Sure, but if you report EXACTLY what you did successfully, this thread may help someone else in your same trouble, otherwise it is of little use.

jaclaz

sorry for seeing this so late.

I was being helped by this forum so I would gladly help people in my situation (having a H81 chipset Intel doesn't bother anymore to release drivers for).

Here is what I did exactly:

1. downloaded Fernando's driver for 8 series chipsets from https://mega.co.nz/#!tZ10nZjJ!X7GK7wSZAOdhbz7B4c_1yHBslQlYwqPMECGVlY5B5CU

2. extracted the file to a new path: let's say E:\Kitt\Drivers\AHCI

3. copied the iaStor.sys file to Systems32\drivers

4. copied the following registry file to my desktop (copy and paste into notepad) and saved as ahci.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2922&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"
"tag"=dword:00000019
"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]
"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]
"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

source: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?444831-HOWTO-enable-AHCI-mode-after-installing-Windows

5. added the information into registry

6. updated all drivers using the have disk option: Computer, Device Manager, storage controllers, update driver. For all of them I used the extracted iaStor.inf from E:\Kitt\Drivers\AHCI. The exact order for update them was the dual controller (I don't remember exactly its name), then secondary and then primary. From bottom to the top.

They all merged into only one driver, "Intel® 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)"

7. after having updated the primary driver, I got a blue screen of death and I assumed it was because in Bios the IDE mode was still active.

8. entered BIOS and enabled AHCI

8.5. here I was jumping of joy as there was no more a BSOD. :yes:

9. Windows XP found new hardware and windows installed the "Intel® 8 Series/C220 Series SATA AHCI Controller - 8C02" using the Fernando's driver.

I don't remember if it did automatically or I had to browse again the computer for the downloaded driver.

I hope a more organized member or a developer could eliminate redundant information (like the registry, copying the driver etc.). I don't think all these steps were needed but I thought I couldn't do any harm with this... I had a good backup anyway to restore eventually.

Good luck everybody!

Very good :)

The listed procedure looks fine, the only thing that may need to be carefully checked is the "alternate" use of CurrentControlSet vs. ControlSet001.

Though most, say 99% of cases, will actually use Controlset001 as CurrentControlSet when booted, checking the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select key is always advised.

The "exact" name for the controller you "replaced" should be "Microsoft Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller".

jaclaz

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2922&cc_0106]

This HardwareID refers to ICH9 and dosn't match a H81 chipset.

ven_8086&cc_0106 refers all Intel ACHI controllers.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&cc_0106]

6. updated all drivers using the have disk option:

Yes, this is the other approach.

Thanks for confirmation: isator.sys v11.2.0.1006 works at a H81 chipset.