Which SP you are using and why?

RacerBG

I have been thinking for a while about this. Personally I use SP3 but I wonder "what about the others?". What SP are you using and most important - why?

SP3 (pos 2009)

Edited by Flasche

SP3. The (really few) users of previous SPs may give you many contrived and tortuous explanations (with all due respect) as to why they use SPn (with 3 > n >= 0), but none of them resists the light of day. Using just SP1's halmapi.dll instead of a patched SP3 one for access of RAM > 4 GiB (on machines having > 4 GiB and PAE), at least while the patch to the latest halmapi.dll is still experimental, is understandable. Then again that same memory can be accessed safely with a ramdrive, and pagefile.sys created in it so that XP x86 can use it anyway. -- All those who went x64 OSes please don't even think of stopping here and posting to ask why keep x86 because such a discussion is tiresome and pointless! Such posts shall be deleted without previous notice. -- That said, if any one comes here and posts "I use SPn because I can, while considering any issue that may cause me fun to solve. I do it because I find it fun."... well, that I'd sure consider a totally valid reason. Then again, I've never seen anyone come forward and say it (even in a much more toned down version).

SP3. The (really few) users of previous SPs may give you many contrived and tortuous explanations (with all due respect) as to why they use SPn (with 3 > n >= 0), but none of them resists the light of day.

Here (in the dark ;)) I have SP2 (with a number of "selected" updates and/or mods/tweaks)

The reason being that I never found the time and/or a real reason to update to SP3: simple, straight, not tortuous, nor contrived explanation :yes:.

jaclaz

"What difference, at this point, does it make?" :o

After all, EOS is EOS, and this -may- be more of a preference, or just plain "negligence". :w00t:

IOW, who cares now? :unsure:

edit - and see dencorso post about "other" reasons...

Edited by submix8c

After all, EOS is EOS, and this -may- be more of a preference, or just plain "negligence". :w00t:

At the very least, the OP? dubbio.gif

SP3. The (really few) users of previous SPs may give you many contrived and tortuous explanations (with all due respect) as to why they use SPn (with 3 > n >= 0), but none of them resists the light of day.

Here (in the dark ;)) I have SP2 (with a number of "selected" updates and/or mods/tweaks)

The reason being that I never found the time and/or a real reason to update to SP3: simple, straight, not tortuous, nor contrived explanation :yes:.

Welcome to this thread, jaclaz! I really like your reason. :yes:

On this XP I am using now, I am running SP2 and all updates before what would commence the actual installation of SP3.
On my first XP PC bought when XP first came out, the 7 Compaq restore disks install the first public release of XP "without" Any service packs whatsoever. Not even SP1--!!!!
And that is how it is running now. I have not installed any! It is running using an external firewall, along with a free software firewall.
In the early days of it's use (back in the early 2000 era) I was plagued with every kind of Pop up, virus, and spyware you can imagine. But Back in those days, I did not even know software or hardware firewalls existed. Upon installing and using-- those "discoveries" the machine runs quick and clean.
I have another Compaq that has been fully updated to SP3 only, with no updates thereafter.

The machine without any service packs runs smooth as silk!
The one with Sp2, and the one with SP3--- run about as smooth as quality Rayon.

I never get any virus or spyware upon any of them, other than "double.click" ever so infrequently; as detected by the old version of Spybot Search and Destroy---which is kept on the machines for "nostalgia" sake along with Ad-AwareSE.

When I use my first XP PC without any service packs, I actually feel a sense of Being More Secure than when I use the others!
It is hard to describe the feeling---but I liken it unto an overall ambience of--Purity--free from contaminating elements.
The use of that Service Pack free PC has proven to me, that An Individual can indeed do what the majority of others think cannot be done successfully: if said Individual Knows, exactly what He/ She is doing.

BAHAHAH! :thumbup

At the very least, the OP? dubbio.gif

...and BAHAHAH! OK, then. :w00t: I'm out.... ;) Nothing here to see from me... move along now. :yes:

The miniPC I set up a few years ago has SP3. I haven't actually used it yet other than to create a media backup. I hope to use it later this year but for now it is just sitting on my mantle underneath a calculator.

The reason for it was that happened to have been the disc I had on hand at the time. Not really a good reason is it? :}

Anyways, I'm the kind of person who upgrades only if really required. I will make do with whatever I have as long as possible.

I still use XP SP3 on my old Pentium 3 desktop, it has the advanced features of SP2 and all the SPs bug fixes. I haven't updated it further since it is not connected to internet (the safest AV/firewall by the way ;) ) but I will update it to the unofficial SP4 when it is ready (I mean not in beta stage).