Windows XP Activation (aka Acticonfusion)

submix8c

Got a little curious about the EOS and Activation issue.

I found this Topic (scroll down) that has a "supposed" exact quote -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_install/future-windows-xp-activation-support/8b64edf7-8146-e011-9bac-78e7d160ad4e?msgId=bae49a41-9b46-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2

Note the date is March 2011. Now the question is - is this going to be true?

We are there, now is this "quote" going to be honored. I haven't seen it yet. :unsure:

Further, this article states otherwise and only indicates Retail Activations (what-the-what? no OEM?) will continue (apparently via Servers).

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-xp-end-of-support-in-april-three-more-questions-answered-7000025151/

This, too, flies in the face of the first link (does not discuss Retail/OEM) -

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250774/will_i_be_able_to_activate_xp_after_2014_.html

Additionally (a variation) -

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2013/09/25/when-will-microsoft-end-windows-xp-activation/

And another (no mention of Retail vs OEM) with Official link given.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ccaecaf9-697d-4315-b41f-abedd88afb4c/windows-xp-activation-after-8-april-2014?forum=itproxpsp

Now, what's odd is that Activation so many (most) times needs a Phone Call to Activate. Additionally, the Genuine Check is still tied to Activation (AFAIK). Curiousity begs the questions - does Phone Activation "hook" directly to an MS Server or is it simply an Algorithm (appears to be) to detect if valid or not -and- where would they store "too many activations"?

Methinks that this particular subject is being beat up and MS is changing its mind an awful lot. Indeed, they've back-tracked on MSE Updates (extending it) but "yanking" the MSE Install for XP Downloads. Please note that the links reference SpokesPersons.

Based upon findings of Market Share (XP is #2 behind Win7) my own conviction is now that EOS has passed, they're still in a tizzy. Please note, I'm not asking for "thoughts" on this or a wide discussion.

(Opinion/observation - what a mess they made of this.)

BUT, inquiring minds want to know - Activation? WHAT is the REAL answer, Microsoft? If anyone can get a definitive answer (aside from what is already available) as to HOW they propose to do this, I'm sure many (reference Marketshare) would appreciate it.

Final note - many of us remember how long it took for MS to -finally- obliterate Win9x EOL Updates. More than likely this will apply to XP as well. On that subject, only time will tell.

(I'm hating posting this Topic already...)

(I'm hating posting this Topic already...)

And you have GOOD reasons for this :yes:

When (and IF) there will be an official statement by MS, then we will have something (apart from hearsay, speculations, vague anecdotal evidence and the like) to discuss. :unsure:

jaclaz

Sure (two paragraphs up, third from bottom)! That was the primary question/request/topic intent.

Along with associated "general stuff" and "speculation". ;)

Seems (on the surface) MS hasn't been more forthcoming, even at EOS.

Should be fine for atleast another 2 years. In the distant future I am not condonining piracy I am simply saying that if it becomes and issue later on the DIE hard users will find a way around it. since no new updates are coming out there wont be anything stoping people from applying the existing ones. And chances are any post EOL patches will be hacked versions transplanted from another OS that dont even look at validations.

Since its no longr supported OS I doubt it will make any difernce at that point. There are have been may ways around this in the past. That i cant mention. Some are based on patching without the need to use VLKs and edit the PIDs in the setup file. ANd each new service pack that came out stoped it. Then they came out wit WGAN and all of this other stuff. There isn't even a need for that anymore since no new updates are coming. Cuz the XP anti piracy measures are put in place to keep normal average people from doing it. If you are still using XP 5-6 years from now I think you are not normal in the eyes of Disillusioned Microsoft.

Thisnk of XP like the new 98se. I never thought that half of the EOL stuff that 98se got would of ever hapened. XP there is a long time to go now. NO need to worry about this now. Its good actually to talk about or atleast start thinking about ways around this or come up with some new solutions if it comes a problem 5 years from now. Microsoft will not help or support you valid or invalid in the future you are on your own.

Edited by oldskool