UEFI with Windows 7\8

Torchizard

I recently got a UEFI laptop with Windows 8 and wanted to dualboot Windows 7. Problem is that my Win7 HomeP probably has a scratch on one of the UEFI-related files as the install freezes on the Starting Windows install screen. So would the benefits of running UEFI be enough to buy an extra W7 install CD or should I just change it back to BIOS compatibility mode and reinstall W7 and 8 that way?

I recently got a UEFI laptop with Windows 8 and wanted to dualboot Windows 7. Problem is that my Win7 HomeP probably has a scratch on one of the UEFI-related files as the install freezes on the Starting Windows install screen. So would the benefits of running UEFI be enough to buy an extra W7 install CD or should I just change it back to BIOS compatibility mode and reinstall W7 and 8 that way?

You can download a copy from DigialRiver, I believe:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157021-win-7-64-sp1-updates-3rd-party-slipstream-tools/

Also, is the actual "boot.wim" or the "install.wim" that has the scratch?

You should still be able to install via WINNTSETUP (or manually) if the latter is "sound":

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149612-winntsetup-v33-v34-beta-1/

http://reboot.pro/topic/10126-nt-6x-fast-installer-install-win7-directly-to-usb-external-drive/

jaclaz

You can download a copy from DigialRiver, I believe:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157021-win-7-64-sp1-updates-3rd-party-slipstream-tools/

Also, is the actual "boot.wim" or the "install.wim" that has the scratch?

You should still be able to install via WINNTSETUP (or manually) if the latter is "sound":

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149612-winntsetup-v33-v34-beta-1/

http://reboot.pro/topic/10126-nt-6x-fast-installer-install-win7-directly-to-usb-external-drive/

jaclaz

I was under the impression that the install DVD had a scratch because it froze on one of the screens.

Under further investigation (attempting to install W7 through setup.exe from inside W8) using a downloaded ISO I have found that the same happens on the starting windows screen after the initial copy\expand files.

• 8 years later...

I never used uefi personally and always set legacy bios mode, but from what I read on the matter, uefi and OS must be bit compatible, but it /is/ compatible with 7.  it just has to be win 7 64 bit as 32 bit win 7 doesn't support uefi (and there are only a few 32 bit uefi systems anyway.)  WHy use uefi anyway (just curious)  Unless you are needing to use gpt hdd or ssd (disk larger than 2.2TB).  legacy bios mode works just fine with MBR disks (2tb or less).  THis is just based on researching UEFI so someone who has actual experience can probably clarify things better, though.

UEFI 2.3.1 is the current standard and many boards come from factory with no CSM. So many people do not have a choice these days. Also, UEFI does not have a bitness involved. The architecture capabilities of booting a UEFI application is based on the processor. The manufacturer of the board decides whether or not to allow a user switch or lock UEFI applications to a particular architecture. To my knowledge, there is no fully limited firmware out there, all are modified to meet the design requirements of the ODM.

There is also the video card consideration where many video cards from the past few years are UEFI only.

True, but most ideo cards which officially support windows 7 will work with either boot option.

I didn't know that about the bitness of uefi not being hard coded, but as I said I only researched the technology reading on places like Toms Hardware and here and googling things.
My fx9350 AM#* board has the uefi option (hence the researching) but ultimately I went with legacy bios as the boot option as that is the option most familiar to me. (and my SSD's on this system are all smaller than 2tb so MBR works just fine).  R9 390x and 1050TI Nvidia work fine in legacy bios mode and still run 1080p with no issues.

Yeah probably a lot of if not all Ryzen and similar generation intel stuff is uefi only, didn't test any of it as I typically buy hardware based on windows 7 compatibility, and all my researching of such systems has shown it to be hit or miss if it will work or not. and een moreso if it will work stable and trouble-free or not.  I'e read success stories on here and watched youtube ids of it working too, but for eery succesful ryzen/win7 build I usually see an equal number of horror stories with unsupported drivers and even failed installs that can't detect any disk to install to and other problems.  From what I seen its actually easier to try and get 98/ME running on AM3+ than to get 7 working /properly/ on Zen/ZenII, etc. and modern intel.

Hey peeps, you seem like not having noticed how this thread is 8 years old, the original problem was presumably solved (or not solved) a loong time ago.

It makes (IMHO) very little sense to reply to such an old thread, if there is something new (be it a problem, a question, whatever) it would be better (still IMHO) to start a new, specific thread.

jaclaz