Unmovable File

Torchizard

I recently got a new laptop :w00t: with Windows 8 :puke: and wanted to shrink its partition to install other OSes. Disk management would only shrink a total of ~400GB and upon investigation a file named {5062dfbb-c179-11e3-be7e-24fd52250d89}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} in the System Volume Information folder was the culprit. Is there any way that I could move the file to a different physical disk location or delete it and allow W8 to regenerate it after a resize?

If its not needed by the operating system or any program to run you can delete it. What I would do is make a copy of that file before I deleted it though. You can also open up the registry editor and copy and paste the file name into the find and see if you can find what the file is in refrense to before proceeding. I don't see anyreason why you cannot add your account to the security previlidges of the file and give your account full control then delete it. If that doesn't work I don't see any reason you couldn't boot the computer with a boot cd that will read and write to NTFS volumes. Some linux live CDs will do this and BartPE will do this. Then just make a copy of the file then delete it. IF the computer doesn't start after that or you get a error. Boot the computer back up with the boot CD and copy the file back.

Edited by oldskool