Embedded logo in IO.SYS - how to extract/convert?

Marztabator

Posting this so it WILL be noticed!

@dencorso - the LOGO.SYS does not exist in the CD - only LOGOS, LOGW, and SULOGO ("First Tim") exist.

http://www.themeworld.com/support/walls-change.html

At the bottom of the link, is a set of VC++ programs. I downloaded the Win98 one and ran in on my VPC Win98SE installation. It appears that they could CARE LESS which OS you're running. All three of the files (LOGOS, LOGOW, LOGO) WILL get installed into the correct place.

Happy now? ;)

Interesting. May take me a while to setup another VM though to test this out (it obviously won't extract the contents under 7), so nobody, like, close this thread or anything!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, back again after some absence.  I meant to ask something I should've asked back then.

I did try to rip the logo data from memory using the debugger included with DOSBox Daum (the latest version).  I carefully found the routine that makes it unpack the custom-packed data embedded within IO.SYS and followed it carefully.  Although I do indeed see the familiar bitmap header and the correct/decrunched data that follows........ I can never get the whole file at once.  It always unpacks in seperate chunks and then overwrites itself afterwards, rather than just unpacking it into a single BMP file and leaving it in memory for me to rip.  I've tried everything.  I can't even get the seperate pieces to put them together.  I combed through the entire memory chunk (using a combination of the debugger and my hex editor of choice, HxD) and can't find any other bitmap-related data unpacked elsewhere.  I'm not sure if memory-ripping is how rloew does it but he must know something else about it that's flummoxing me.

Is Windows just being really clever and unpacking the rest of the bitmap into some inaccessible part of the memory?

??? Why are you bothering when you have it already? Helpful hint - it's an Animated BMP (it "scrolls" at the bottom) so it MAY be possible that the "scroll" part is put "somewhere else" :unsure: ...

Well unfortunately I don't know an awful lot about "animated bitmaps" and how much they're supposed to differ structure wise from a regular bitmap...

I thought I read somewhere though that Windows more or less creates the scroll effect "on the spot" out of any bitmap and which colours it uses depends on how the bitmap's palette is setup???

Helpful hint - it's an Animated BMP (it "scrolls" at the bottom) so it MAY be possible that the "scroll" part is put "somewhere else"  :unsure: ...

Nope, It's all in the sys/bmp file. The animation consists in cycling a segment of the color palette if I am not mistaken.

Well unfortunately I don't know an awful lot about "animated bitmaps" and how much they're supposed to differ structure wise from a regular bitmap...

The only reason you don't know 'an awful lot about "animated bitmaps" etc.' is that you don't actually read the links given you, even when they do contain the info you're seeking, as happens to be the case of the section entitled "Animation during booting", which is part of the reference you were given in post #5 (and you'd have come to that part, provided you took the trouble to scroll down):

[...] logo.sys animation [...]

Well then, it seems like a pointless exercise to "extract" since rloew basically said "trade secret". Guess the OP is determined to extract rather than use the pre-supplied. :unsure:

'Bye now...